Namespaces and ASN1 types in Cryptography package

Namespaces and ASN1 types in Cryptography package

Holger Freyther
Hi,

I was debugging some test failures and it turns out that my code defines an ASN1IntegerType and the Cryptography package (a dependency of MongoTalk which is loaded into my code) has such a class as well.

Thanks to Epicea I could see which package added the method but now I have no idea how to resolve the problem. Mongotalk needs PBKDF2 for modern authentication... Could Cryptography use "ASN1-Model"[1] instead? This is a rather complete[2] ASN1 implementation and used in production for some years. Could the classes be prefixed?

If not how can I instruct Metacello to not load a certain package?

holger

[1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~NorbertHartl/ASN1/source
[2] Rather complete parser for ASN1 files but only encoding/decoding for DER/BER (none of the modern ones like aper/uper

Re: Namespaces and ASN1 types in Cryptography package

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Holger,

Cryptography package lacks a proper modularization, so you could load
only the groups you need, e.g. ASN1 will only be needed if you load
X509 (AFAIR).

If Nortbert's ASN1 package is more complete than Cryptography's, then
we whould either merge it or discard what's there and load Norbert's
ASN1 package as a dependency instead.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

> I was debugging some test failures and it turns out that my code defines an ASN1IntegerType and the Cryptography package (a dependency of MongoTalk which is loaded into my code) has such a class as well.
>
> Thanks to Epicea I could see which package added the method but now I have no idea how to resolve the problem. Mongotalk needs PBKDF2 for modern authentication... Could Cryptography use "ASN1-Model"[1] instead? This is a rather complete[2] ASN1 implementation and used in production for some years. Could the classes be prefixed?
>
> If not how can I instruct Metacello to not load a certain package?
>
> holger
>

> [1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~NorbertHartl/ASN1/source
> [2] Rather complete parser for ASN1 files but only encoding/decoding for DER/BER (none of the modern ones like aper/uper

Re: Namespaces and ASN1 types in Cryptography package

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi  holger

we are planning to work again on Module once we release Pillar 70 and
Iceberg v2.0.
We did not want to let Pillar die so we had to do something to put it
in the rails
for the future.
I hope that by mid may we will get some traction and time to work
again on the class infrastructure.

Stef