Namespaces and childScopes for java code ???

Namespaces and childScopes for java code ???

anquetil.nicolas
I am writing a Java to MSE exporter called VerveineJ.
(I was supposed to announce it at some point but I keep waiting for a
reasonably stable version)

But let's go to the point.

For Java packages I am creating FAMIX Namespaces
Now I discovered the notion of childScopes and two questions arose:
- should VerveineJ create a "childScope link" between two java
Packages (i.e. FAMIX Namespace) that are included one in the other
(e.g.: "org.eclipse.help" and "org.eclipse.help.internal" and
"org.eclipse.help.internal.browser")

- if the answer is yes to the 1st question, then should VerveineJ
create new FAMIX Namespaces at the "intersection" of two other
namespaces. For example, for "org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins" and
"org.eclipse.core.runtime", one could create "org.eclipse.core" as a
parent scope of both...

Eclipse, which is my reference here, does not consider hierarchy of
packages. Even if, on the disk, one package is implemented as a
subdirectory of another one, in the Package Explorer, they are listed
as two separate ones.

Any opinion?

nicolas

--
Nicolas Anquetil        Univ. Lille1 / INRIA-equipe RMod

Re: Namespaces and childScopes for java code ???

Tudor Girba
Hi,

On 23 Sep 2010, at 11:02, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> I am writing a Java to MSE exporter called VerveineJ.
> (I was supposed to announce it at some point but I keep waiting for a
> reasonably stable version)
>
> But let's go to the point.
>
> For Java packages I am creating FAMIX Namespaces
> Now I discovered the notion of childScopes and two questions arose:
> - should VerveineJ create a "childScope link" between two java
> Packages (i.e. FAMIX Namespace) that are included one in the other
> (e.g.: "org.eclipse.help" and "org.eclipse.help.internal" and
> "org.eclipse.help.internal.browser")

Yes.

> - if the answer is yes to the 1st question, then should VerveineJ
> create new FAMIX Namespaces at the "intersection" of two other
> namespaces. For example, for "org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins" and
> "org.eclipse.core.runtime", one could create "org.eclipse.core" as a
> parent scope of both...

Yes.

> Eclipse, which is my reference here, does not consider hierarchy of
> packages. Even if, on the disk, one package is implemented as a
> subdirectory of another one, in the Package Explorer, they are listed
> as two separate ones.

This is because actually in Java, the nesting is not part of the semantics of the namespace. However, for analysis convenience, we would rather want to have this namespaces as "nested". This is the behavior of inferring the namespaces based on names (available in the utilities menu of a model).

Cheers,
Doru

> Any opinion?
>
> nicolas
>
> --
> Nicolas Anquetil        Univ. Lille1 / INRIA-equipe RMod

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Namespaces and childScopes for java code ???

Alexandre Bergel
> This is because actually in Java, the nesting is not part of the semantics of the namespace. However, for analysis convenience, we would rather want to have this namespaces as "nested". This is the behavior of inferring the namespaces based on names (available in the utilities menu of a model).

+1

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu