Naming a Process?

Philippe Marschall
Hi

While porting the AJP adaptor to GemStone I stumbled upon the fact
that I can't name processes in GemStone. I want to name the AJP
acceptor thread 'AJP acceptor thread' and the worker threads 'AJP
worker thread i'. I find this functionality quite useful in
Pharo/Squeak.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Naming a Process?

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Philippe,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but you can name the process of a gem:

System _cacheName: 'the name'

But probably you want to name Smalltalk threads inside a gem rather than the gem itself?

Johan

On 08 Apr 2012, at 22:51, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> While porting the AJP adaptor to GemStone I stumbled upon the fact
> that I can't name processes in GemStone. I want to name the AJP
> acceptor thread 'AJP acceptor thread' and the worker threads 'AJP
> worker thread i'. I find this functionality quite useful in
> Pharo/Squeak.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Naming a Process?

Philippe Marschall
Am 9. April 2012 10:18 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but you can name the process of a gem:
>
> System _cacheName: 'the name'
>
> But probably you want to name Smalltalk threads inside a gem rather than the gem itself?

Yes, exactly.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Naming a Process?

Dale Henrichs
Good idea ... I've added a feature request... I assume that this is as much a tools issue as a naming issue?

Dale

| While porting the AJP adaptor to GemStone I stumbled upon the fact
| that I can't name processes in GemStone. I want to name the AJP
| acceptor thread 'AJP acceptor thread' and the worker threads 'AJP
| worker thread i'. I find this functionality quite useful in
| Pharo/Squeak.
|
| Cheers
| Philippe

Re: Naming a Process?

Philippe Marschall
Am 9. April 2012 17:32 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
> Good idea ... I've added a feature request... I assume that this is as much a tools issue as a naming issue?

Yes

Cheers
Philippe