Native (OS-level) windows

Evgeniy Philippov
  Hello folks and Todd Blanchard,

I have three questions. First question is---what is the current status
of Ffenestri, and where can I download some version of Pharo with the
most up-to-date Ffenestri support? The second question is---what are the
other Pharo OS-level windowing interfaces, and what is their status? And
the last question is---what is more complete: Squeak's Ffenestri
support, or Pharo's Ffenestri support?

My intents. I plan to use some version of Squeak or Pharo system for my
project (which is a hobby project), and I am mainly interested in
OS-level windowing for Linux (Ubuntu) and to a lesser extent for Win32
too. I studied wxSqueak a bit, and concluded that Ffenestri is overall
simpler to develop than wxSqueak, and guessed that Ffenestri moves/will
move faster when considering the completeness of it, than wxSqueak.

--
Evgeniy

Re: Native (OS-level) windows

johnmci
There are three parts to your question

(a) Does the VM you want to use support Ffenestri, you will need to look at the source code on squeakvm.org SVN tree to understand the answer to that. That would be if  the HostWindowPlugin is supported.
(b) Does the Smalltalk code allow you to call the HostWindowPlugin api?
(c) Does the event loop logic in the Smalltalk code support the following incoming event types.
#define WindowEventMetricChange 1 /* size or position of window changed - value1-4 are left/top/right/bottom values */
#define WindowEventClose 2 /* window close icon pressed */
#define WindowEventIconise 3 /* window iconised or hidden etc */
#define WindowEventActivated 4 /* window made active - some platforms only - do not rely upon this */
#define WindowEventPaint 5 /* window area (in value1-4) needs updating. Some platforms do not need to send this, do not rely on it in image */
#define WindowEventStinks 6 /* this window stinks (just to see if people read this stuff) */

In general people want multiple window support right up to the point where they have to implement the GUI part, then they lose interest & bail...
Macintosh Carbon VMs 4.2.x and lower support Ffenestri at the VM level, Cocoa VMs 5.x have not been tested due to lack of interest.
I've heard that Windows and Unix versions may or may not support them, see (a).

On 2010-09-02, at 11:15 PM, Evgeniy Philippov wrote:

> Hello folks and Todd Blanchard,
>
> I have three questions. First question is---what is the current status of Ffenestri, and where can I download some version of Pharo with the most up-to-date Ffenestri support? The second question is---what are the other Pharo OS-level windowing interfaces, and what is their status? And the last question is---what is more complete: Squeak's Ffenestri support, or Pharo's Ffenestri support?
>
> My intents. I plan to use some version of Squeak or Pharo system for my project (which is a hobby project), and I am mainly interested in OS-level windowing for Linux (Ubuntu) and to a lesser extent for Win32 too. I studied wxSqueak a bit, and concluded that Ffenestri is overall simpler to develop than wxSqueak, and guessed that Ffenestri moves/will move faster when considering the completeness of it, than wxSqueak.
>
> --
> Evgeniy

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Native (OS-level) windows

Hi evgeniy

We would love to see any progress in the direction of having feenestri working for Pharo now we do not have simply the task forces.
So if you do any changes in the system to help you in this task send the patches and changes so that life is easier for you and
we can get this done in the future.

Stef

On Sep 3, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Evgeniy Philippov wrote:

> Hello folks and Todd Blanchard,
>
> I have three questions. First question is---what is the current status of Ffenestri, and where can I download some version of Pharo with the most up-to-date Ffenestri support? The second question is---what are the other Pharo OS-level windowing interfaces, and what is their status? And the last question is---what is more complete: Squeak's Ffenestri support, or Pharo's Ffenestri support?
>
> My intents. I plan to use some version of Squeak or Pharo system for my project (which is a hobby project), and I am mainly interested in OS-level windowing for Linux (Ubuntu) and to a lesser extent for Win32 too. I studied wxSqueak a bit, and concluded that Ffenestri is overall simpler to develop than wxSqueak, and guessed that Ffenestri moves/will move faster when considering the completeness of it, than wxSqueak.
>
> --
> Evgeniy

Re: Native (OS-level) windows

Evgeniy Philippov
  Stephane,

Have the efforts by Todd Blanchard produce any results?

Evgeniy

Re: Native (OS-level) windows

Stéphane Ducasse
Not that I know.
What is important is that we integrate changes that make the next step easier.
So if you uild a roadmap let us know.

Stef

On Sep 3, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Evgeniy Philippov wrote:

> Stephane,
>
> Have the efforts by Todd Blanchard produce any results?
>
> Evgeniy

Re: Native (OS-level) windows

Evgeniy Philippov
  Well... I think I depart from the task.

I rethinked my approach to programming languages, and concluded that at
the very core concepts of the language, the Smalltalk is somewhat
erratic in design. Yes it has a simplified conventions and syntax---but
these don't matter much with regard to certain specific needs of
programming---and I currently find that having overly flexible not very
fundamental-minded interpretive semantics for if-then-else (as a random
example) is counterproductive and flawed, since it gives an incorrect
structure of the system.

That's just an opinion---but yes, Smalltalk is an important step to the
languages of the future.

Best wishes to you all,

Evgeniy
P.S. Unsubscribing from this place of flowering of life :) Please reply privately, I am not at the list anymore.