Native Windows in Pharo

12

Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Hi list!
I think I finally can start a small in-house project in Pharo, which
makes me quite happy since I've been willing to do so for some time now.
I have however to solve an issue before: is there a way of using native
windows instead of the emulated ones? The app I have to work on is
pretty much based on having different independent windows floating
around :( . I saw the Native Windows thread that dates back to 2009 and
couldn't find more information on the subject, so any pointers are much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Andrés

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Check out the Mars project.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform
solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to
be clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the
ability to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.

Cheers,
Andrés

Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
> Check out the Mars project.
>
> Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.

so far this is not possible.
There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could use it.

> Cheers,
> Andrés
>

> Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
>> Check out the Mars project.
>> Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
what about using Seaside XUL ?  I remember Esteban Lorenzano doing a desktop app that way in Pharo.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.

so far this is not possible.
There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could use it.

> Cheers,
> Andrés
>

> Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
>> Check out the Mars project.
>> Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Ok, I see. Is there a "wishlist" associated with Pharo? Something like
http://feedback.assembla.com/?

thanks!
Andrés

Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.
>
> so far this is not possible.
> There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could use it.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrés
>>

>> Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
>>> Check out the Mars project.
>>> Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks for the pointer Mariano. I'll check it out.

Cheers,
         Andrés

Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> what about using Seaside XUL ?  I remember Esteban Lorenzano doing a desktop
> app that way in Pharo.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform
>> solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be
>> clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability
>> to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.
>>
>> so far this is not possible.
>> There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could use
>> it.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrés

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, andres <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I see. Is there a "wishlist" associated with Pharo? Something like http://feedback.assembla.com/?

There are some related pages in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/w/list

For exampple: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/IdeasToImplement

cheers

mariano

thanks!
Andrés

Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.

so far this is not possible.
There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could use it.

Cheers,
Andrés

Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
Check out the Mars project.
Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's
vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the
most voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the
feature complexity).

Thanks!
Andrés

Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, andres <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Ok, I see. Is there a "wishlist" associated with Pharo? Something like
>> http://feedback.assembla.com/?
>>

> There are some related pages in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/w/list
>
> For exampple: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/IdeasToImplement
>
> cheers
>
> mariano
>

>> thanks!
>> Andrés
>>
>> Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>>
>>  On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:
>>>  Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform
>>>>
>>> so far this is not possible.
>>> There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could
>>> use it.
>>>
>>>  Cheers,

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM, andres <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the most voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the feature complexity).

well...no, we don't have a "survey" but that list was build with users requests in the mailing list.
But maybe having a survay would be a good idea.

Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

 On Dec 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, andres wrote:
 Thanks for the quick response Sean, but I'm looking for a cross-platform
solution and as far as I can see Mars is targeted at mac. Also, just to be
clear, I don't need native widgets or deep OS integration, just the ability
to open Pharo GUIs in separate native windows.

so far this is not possible.
There was ffenstraria but it was never push to the point where we could
use it.

 Cheers,
Andrés

Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

Check out the Mars project.
Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
IMHO services as uservoice.com are really good for open source
developments, since you can measure what your users really want.
As a user having 10 votes (or whatever amount of votes do you want to
give to your users) makes you think about what do you really want and
not just ask for any features. An finally, if you *really* want
something you can put more than one vote on a given feature.
I think is a cool approach.

My 2 cts.
Andrés

Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM, andres <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's
>> vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the most
>> voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the feature
>> complexity).
>>

> well...no, we don't have a "survey" but that list was build with users
> requests in the mailing list.
> But maybe having a survay would be a good idea.
>
> cheers
>
> mariano
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andrés
>>
>> Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, andres <[hidden email]
>>>
>>>  Ok, I see. Is there a "wishlist" associated with Pharo? Something like

>>> For exampple: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/IdeasToImplement
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> mariano
>>>

>>>  thanks!

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Andres Fortier-2 wrote
Ok, I see. Is there a "wishlist" associated with Pharo? Something like
http://feedback.assembla.com/?
I'm moving this conversation to the dev list, so that it will have it's own thread and because not all devs are on this list.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Hi andres

> Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the most voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the feature complexity).

Well well well
When people are not able to pay 10 Euros for pharo (we did a poll and got 5 positive answers) why would they have the right to vote for something that we would be forced to do? This is an interesting question, no?

We are not in the consumer model here. We (the people around pharo core) are fixing the infrastructure so that everybody benefit from it, we can be influenced
but not much. The only influence we deeply understand is ***Contributions*** with either videos, pdf, ads, promotion actions or ST code.

So if you want something to happen for real in pharo then you should consider how you can make this happens.

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Tudor Girba
+1.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Stef, Doru:
                  first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists,
not demanding one. Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know
how you guys handle the feature requests. I see now.

On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has
the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just
to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread? Or should I
first contribute to Pharo before asking?

Andrés

Tudor Girba escribió:

> +1.
>
> Doru
>

> On 7 Dec 2010, at 12:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi andres
>>
>>> Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the most voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the feature complexity).
>> Well well well
>> When people are not able to pay 10 Euros for pharo (we did a poll and got 5 positive answers) why would they have the right to vote for something that we would be forced to do? This is an interesting question, no?
>>
>> We are not in the consumer model here. We (the people around pharo core) are fixing the infrastructure so that everybody benefit from it, we can be influenced
>> but not much. The only influence we deeply understand is ***Contributions*** with either videos, pdf, ads, promotion actions or ST code.
>>
>> So if you want something to happen for real in pharo then you should consider how you can make this happens.
>>

>> Stef
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Geert Claes
Administrator
Hi Andres, Ideas and suggestions are very welcome in the Pharo community and they are mainly discussed here rather than in a UserVoice or GetSatisfaction environment.  Idea voting is an excellent way to engage customers and users to improve products.  The only thing Stef and Doru are saying (at least thats how I read it) is that Pharo doesn't necessarily have a shortage of ideas or lack of direction, but simply not enough people to do all the work.  So yes, ideas and feature requests are great and please do continue to post them here as there are many enthusiastic skilled Smalltalkers that can help, advice and guide you.  When you find something is missing or can be improved, you are more encouraged to contribute towards the solution rather than just vote.

Getting back to your original post though, congrats getting your in-house project!  How about a rich Seaside, AIDAWeb or Iliad browser based app?

Cheers, Geert

Andres Fortier-2 wrote
Stef, Doru:

first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists, not demanding one. Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know how you guys handle the feature requests. I see now.

On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread? Or should I
first contribute to Pharo before asking?

Andrés

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Igor Stasenko
On 7 December 2010 14:13, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andres, Ideas and suggestions are very welcome in the Pharo community and
> they are mainly discussed here rather than in a UserVoice or GetSatisfaction
> environment.  Idea voting is an excellent way to engage customers and users
> to improve products.  The only thing Stef and Doru are saying (at least
> thats how I read it) is that Pharo doesn't necessarily have a shortage of
> ideas or lack of direction, but simply not enough people to do all the work.
> So yes, ideas and feature requests are great and please do continue to post
> them here as there are many enthusiastic skilled Smalltalkers that can help,
> advice and guide you.  When you find something is missing or can be
> improved, you are more encouraged to contribute towards the solution rather
> than just vote.

That's exactly what i said about this before. We simply lacking
manhours to do everything we want.
I want to do a lot of cool stuff. But it requires a lot of time.

> Getting back to your original post though, congrats getting your in-house
> project!  How about a rich Seaside, AIDAWeb or Iliad browser based app?
>
> Cheers, Geert
>

> Andres Fortier-2 wrote:
>>
>> Stef, Doru:
>>
>> first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists, not demanding one.
>> Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know how you guys handle
>> the feature requests. I see now.
>>
>> On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has
>> the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just
>> to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread? Or should I
>> first contribute to Pharo before asking?
>>
>> Andrés

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

On Dec 7, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Hi Andres, Ideas and suggestions are very welcome in the Pharo community and
> they are mainly discussed here rather than in a UserVoice or GetSatisfaction
> environment.  Idea voting is an excellent way to engage customers and users
> to improve products.  The only thing Stef and Doru are saying (at least
> thats how I read it) is that Pharo doesn't necessarily have a shortage of
> ideas or lack of direction, but simply not enough people to do all the work.

:)
indeed well rephrased :)

> So yes, ideas and feature requests are great and please do continue to post
> them here as there are many enthusiastic skilled Smalltalkers that can help,
> advice and guide you.  When you find something is missing or can be
> improved, you are more encouraged to contribute towards the solution rather
> than just vote.
>
> Getting back to your original post though, congrats getting your in-house
> project!  How about a rich Seaside, AIDAWeb or Iliad browser based app?
>
> Cheers, Geert
>

> Andres Fortier-2 wrote:
>>
>> Stef, Doru:
>>
>> first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists, not demanding one.
>> Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know how you guys handle
>> the feature requests. I see now.
>>
>> On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has
>> the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just
>> to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread? Or should I
>> first contribute to Pharo before asking?
>>
>> Andrés

12