Native Windows

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
What are the current options/future-possibilities?

I was playing with Fffenestri's DisplayHostWindow, which kind of works in 1.3. What ever happened to that project? What is the status of Mars? Are there any other avenues?

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Native Windows

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 14, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> What are the current options/future-possibilities?
>
> I was playing with Fffenestri's DisplayHostWindow, which kind of works in
> 1.3. What ever happened to that project? What is the status of Mars? Are
> there any other avenues?

For the moment igor is working on a zoomable canvas with a cairo back-end so no time for the multiple native windows.
But I would love to have that too.

> Thanks.
> Sean

Re: Native Windows

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are the current options/future-possibilities?

I was playing with Fffenestri's DisplayHostWindow, which kind of works in
1.3. What ever happened to that project? What is the status of Mars? Are
there any other avenues?

back-porting Vassili Bykov's native window implementation for Newspeak (which runs above a slightly-modified Squeak VM, modified to support Newspeak bytecodes).

Thanks.
Sean

best,
Eliot

Re: Native Windows

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are the current options/future-possibilities?

I was playing with Fffenestri's DisplayHostWindow, which kind of works in
1.3. What ever happened to that project? What is the status of Mars? Are
there any other avenues?

back-porting Vassili Bykov's native window implementation for Newspeak (which runs above a slightly-modified Squeak VM, modified to support Newspeak bytecodes).

He is coming to Smalltalks.... I mention this just in case someone wants to discuss with him.

Thanks.
Sean

best,
Eliot

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Native Windows

Stéphane Ducasse
What is the license of the code?
I do not think that newspeak code is MIT.

Stef

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the license of the code?
I do not think that newspeak code is MIT.

Newspeak is Apache 2.0 with the preferred license for contributions going forward being MIT.  But in this case there's no issue; you can't use the source unchanged since it's Newspeak.  You're at liberty to read the code under Apache and hence can convert it to Smalltalk and then it's different code.