Native widgets?

Scott McLaughlin
Hi Guys,

I am brand new to this list and please be kind if this is a DEAD HORSE already BUT I searched the archives and could not find much.

Does Pharo have any plans for implementing native widgets? It would be a real zinger if this could be done as this sort of thing has always been a sticking point for many people (inside and out of the Smalltalk community at large).

Cheers, I love Pharo either way,
Scott McLaughlin

Re: Native widgets?

fstephany
Hi Scott,

Welcome to this list ;)

Short answer: There is no way simple way to have native widgets.

Long answer:
There have been some work on GTK+ bindings (in 2008 if I remember well)
but I don't think it's usable.
You can use Mars to build native UI for OSX. I don't know its state but
your are limited to MacOS. http://smallworks.com.ar/products/mars/

There are maybe other initiatives that I'm not aware of...

Cheers,
Francois

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: Native widgets?

Hilaire Fernandes
Forget it. You can use Polymoprh Pharo widget or you need to use another
Smalltalk like GNU Smalltak in Linux, or Dolphin in Windows to get
native widget.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo -- http://www.drgeo.eu

Re: Native widgets?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Scott McLaughlin wrote
Does Pharo have any plans for implementing native widgets?
If you're on a Mac, check out the proof of concept I hacked together using a thin MacRuby Cocoa UI on top of Pharo @ https://github.com/seandenigris/PharoMacRubyTest
Cheers,
Sean