NativeBoost libraries hosting

Blondeau Vincent

Hi,

Some of us are developing some applications by using NativeBoost, which is a great tool for Pharo.

But when we want to distribute our application, we have to give the libraries with it.

We can integrate the library in the package, give a link to download an application and copy the libraries near the Pharo VM, or put it on dropbox, but it seems that are not good solutions.

Maybe we should have a hosting platform for these libraries?

Does http://smalltalkhub.com or http://files.pharo.org/ can do the hosting?

Cheers,

Vincent

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: NativeBoost libraries hosting

EstebanLM
I don’t think so.
We cannot pollute pharo file server with specific libraries :(

we could in the future set up a service for that, but then we will need to take into account licenses, etc.
my recommendation is that you do not include the library but instructions on where they can download/build the proper libraries.

Esteban

On 19 Dec 2014, at 12:24, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

hernanmd
Hi Esteban,

I don’t think so.
We cannot pollute pharo file server with specific libraries :(

I know you have some concern, but I ask you for reconsider because R has many users and the whole download size of required .dll is actually a 2Mb zip.

we could in the future set up a service for that, but then we will need to take into account licenses, etc.
my recommendation is that you do not include the library but instructions on where they can download/build the proper libraries.

The problem is some of us cannot waste time manually downloading libraries for each build :(
Torsten said that GitHub could be an option, I didn't knew it could host binary files.

Hernán

[...]

Ben Coman
Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> I don’t think so.
> We cannot pollute pharo file server with specific libraries :(
>
> we could in the future set up a service for that, but then we will need
> to take into account licenses, etc.
> my recommendation is that you do not include the library but
> instructions on where they can download/build the proper libraries.
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 19 Dec 2014, at 12:24, Blondeau Vincent
>> <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some of us are developing some applications by using NativeBoost,
>> which is a great tool for Pharo.
>> But when we want to distribute our application, we have to give the
>> libraries with it.
>> We can integrate the library in the package, give a link to download
>> an application and copy the libraries near the Pharo VM, or put it on
>> dropbox, but it seems that are not good solutions.
>>
>> Maybe we should have a hosting platform for these libraries?
>> Does http://smalltalkhub.com
>> <http://smalltalkhub.com/> or http://files.pharo.org/ can do the hosting?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vincent

This is an interesting question I might have to deal with some time, so
I had a look around for options.  (As an aside, I came across this
interesting article "How I moved my websites to DropBox and Github"...
http://alexcican.com/post/guide-hosting-website-dropbox-github/ )

That makes me wonder what is wrong with using dropbox?  You might use it
with a custom domain name so that later you can move services
transparently to users.
http://hostlater.com/2014/04/dropbox-custom-domain-name-url-2246/

Github recommends using either "Releases" or Amazon S3 & CloudFront.
Indeed it seems that "Releases" itself is built on top of CloudFront.
https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries/
https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software

I followed this instruction as a trial...
https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/
and found it quite straightforward - see...
https://github.com/bencoman/Hello-World/releases
(I just used a jpg as an example)

cheers -ben

Re: NativeBoost libraries hosting

Tommaso DS
What about writing some glue classes that check for the presence of the
libraries and download them automatically if the libraries are not present?
In this way, the developer would only have to specify a download url (or
at most one for each supported platform).
This sort of "caching" mechanism could be included in NativeBoost to
reduce the problem of hosting the libraries and would also reduce the
application size, since it would only download the binaries of the
current platform.

Tommaso

On 20/12/14 10:20, Ben Coman wrote:

> Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> I don’t think so. We cannot pollute pharo file server with specific
>> libraries :(
>>
>> we could in the future set up a service for that, but then we will
>> need to take into account licenses, etc. my recommendation is that
>> you do not include the library but instructions on where they can
>> download/build the proper libraries.
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 19 Dec 2014, at 12:24, Blondeau Vincent
>>> <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some of us are developing some applications by using NativeBoost,
>>> which is a great tool for Pharo.
>>> But when we want to distribute our application, we have to give the
>>> libraries with it.
>>> We can integrate the library in the package, give a link to download
>>> an application and copy the libraries near the Pharo VM, or put it
>>> on dropbox, but it seems that are not good solutions.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should have a hosting platform for these libraries?
>>> Does http://smalltalkhub.com <http://smalltalkhub.com/> or
>>> http://files.pharo.org/ can do the hosting?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Vincent
>
> This is an interesting question I might have to deal with some time,
> so I had a look around for options.  (As an aside, I came across this
> interesting article "How I moved my websites to DropBox and Github"...
> http://alexcican.com/post/guide-hosting-website-dropbox-github/ )
>
> That makes me wonder what is wrong with using dropbox?  You might use
> it with a custom domain name so that later you can move services
> transparently to users.
> http://hostlater.com/2014/04/dropbox-custom-domain-name-url-2246/
>
> Github recommends using either "Releases" or Amazon S3 & CloudFront.
> Indeed it seems that "Releases" itself is built on top of CloudFront.
> https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries/
> https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software
>
> I followed this instruction as a trial...
> https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/
> and found it quite straightforward - see...
> https://github.com/bencoman/Hello-World/releases
> (I just used a jpg as an example)
>
> cheers -ben

Re: NativeBoost libraries hosting

hernanmd

What about writing some glue classes that check for the presence of the libraries and download them automatically if the libraries are not present?
In this way, the developer would only have to specify a download url (or at most one for each supported platform).

Yes, actually I am using that "mechanism" - only 6 methods - for several of my projects (see ConfigurationOfBioSmalltalk in 'doits' category). I think it could be included in Metacello.

The problem is getting a host which could be

- Reliable = no downtime (Dropbox is ok, GitHub is ok)
- Allows to link multiple accounts (Dropbox ??, GitHub ??)
- Custom URLs (DropBox is ok, GitHub is ok)
- Easy to link (Dropbox somewhat, GitHub ??)
- Easy to update (Dropbox is ok, GitHub not)

Hernán

Does http://smalltalkhub.com <http://smalltalkhub.com/> or http://files.pharo.org/ can do the hosting?