Nautilus Refactorings

123

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Feb 16, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I miss running and debugging a single test from Nautilus (the current right-click menu on a method says 'Run Tests', plural, but maybe it only run the selected).

You can do that :)
You can open the menu, or cmd-t (i guess :s) or click on the bullet icon ^^

> And the simple Toggel Breakpoint stuff, I hate modifying methods with self halt just to have a look at what is happening.

I do not know this feature, I will have a look :)

Ben

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Me too, it's one of my favorite :)
>>

>> This one, and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>>
>> They are the two features which really have changed my way of working.
>>

>> Ben

>>> Method too long, I love this feature!

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:

> and the red icon for uncommented classes :)

Stef must like that one ;-)

But for TestCase subclasses I don't think it makes much sense,
the only comment I would write there is ' I am a test for .. ' which is silly.

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
True.

But since I use a magic command from Nautilus to generate test classes, there is a default comment :)

Ben

On Feb 16, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>
> Stef must like that one ;-)
>
> But for TestCase subclasses I don't think it makes much sense,
> the only comment I would write there is ' I am a test for .. ' which is silly.

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Luc Fabresse

2012/2/16 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
True.

But since I use a magic command from Nautilus to generate test classes, there is a default comment :)

yes but Sven is right IMHO and the comment missing icon should be hidden for TestCase subclasses.

And yes, the toggle break point menu entry on a method would be nice.

Luc

Ben

On Feb 16, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>
> Stef must like that one ;-)
>
> But for TestCase subclasses I don't think it makes much sense,
> the only comment I would write there is ' I am a test for .. ' which is silly.

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I totally agree :)

Ben

On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Luc Fabresse wrote:

2012/2/16 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
True.

But since I use a magic command from Nautilus to generate test classes, there is a default comment :)

yes but Sven is right IMHO and the comment missing icon should be hidden for TestCase subclasses.

And yes, the toggle break point menu entry on a method would be nice.

Luc

Ben

On Feb 16, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>
> Stef must like that one ;-)
>
> But for TestCase subclasses I don't think it makes much sense,
> the only comment I would write there is ' I am a test for .. ' which is silly.

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Gastón Dall' Oglio
Hi Benjamin.

Nautilus is really cool, congrats!

Is possibly extract the methods comments (comments in the first lines of methods)? If possible, when I see a method, in the comment pane added to the current class comment, I want to can see the related comments. Related how? Well...

* One posibility is the comments of the overwritten methods (same method name in the superclasses), that often have very important information for the correct or convenient manner of overwrite them. Maybe having an option in the setting to indicated how many comments to show. For example in Seaside, often I override a method, and there are tons of very important documentation in the overwritten methods comments, then I have to go in the hierarchy one and again for see them.
* Another posibility is show the comments of invoked methods, when is can determinate of course, for example self sends... In this manner, I haven't to go in every method invocation to see that it does. Again, maybe a option in settings...
* Another?

My 2 cents

Thanks a lot.

2012/2/16 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
Me too, it's one of my favorite :)

This one, and the red icon for uncommented classes :)

They are the two features which really have changed my way of working.

Ben

On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 10:15, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> And I forget to say that I didn't get why the background of some methods is yellow?
>
> Method too long, I love this feature!

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

S Krish
Toggle Breakpoint, my experience in last one month in Morphic projects is causing instability..

I prefer the self halt, that is comparatively rock stable.. I have never had the image crash out or cause unpredictable paint etc..

2012/2/16 S Krish <[hidden email]>
Toggle Breakpoint, my experience in last one month in Morphic projects is causing instability..

I prefer the self halt, that is comparatively rock stable.. I have never had the image crash out or cause unpredictable paint etc..

I think, it would be better to have a working toggle breakpoint which doesn't produce a new version of the compiled method (less garbage in methods' versions).

Luc

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I miss running and debugging a single test from Nautilus (the current right-click menu on a method says 'Run Tests', plural, but maybe it only run the selected).

And the simple Toggel Breakpoint stuff, I hate modifying methods with self halt just to have a look at what is happening.

On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:

> Me too, it's one of my favorite :)
>

> This one, and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>
> They are the two features which really have changed my way of working.
>

> Ben
>

> On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>

>> On 16 Feb 2012, at 10:15, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>>> And I forget to say that I didn't get why the background of some methods is yellow?
>>
>> Method too long, I love this feature!

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

S Krish
Absolutely.. it is better.. I do have a small personal implementation that allows me the luxury of not registering the change.. when halt is inserted.. but I agree there is no two opinions..

Toggle breakpoint if it works perfectly it will be the best but I have both issues:

* The long methods in which I put Toggle breakpoint loses the sense of what line it is on .. jumps around.. very annoying there..
* Instability of painting.. I am not sure if I can pin point anything.. but has occurred almost only when I use this through Morphic UI construction..

The hack I have is temporary.. but also allows me to insert the self halt anywhere in the method code at the point I right click in the method and insert it ( sensibly though.. ). Till the Toggle breakpoint works perfectly.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

2012/2/16 S Krish <[hidden email]>
Toggle Breakpoint, my experience in last one month in Morphic projects is causing instability..

I prefer the self halt, that is comparatively rock stable.. I have never had the image crash out or cause unpredictable paint etc..

I think, it would be better to have a working toggle breakpoint which doesn't produce a new version of the compiled method (less garbage in methods' versions).

Luc

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I miss running and debugging a single test from Nautilus (the current right-click menu on a method says 'Run Tests', plural, but maybe it only run the selected).

And the simple Toggel Breakpoint stuff, I hate modifying methods with self halt just to have a look at what is happening.

On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:

> Me too, it's one of my favorite :)
>

> This one, and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>
> They are the two features which really have changed my way of working.
>

> Ben
>

> On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>

>> On 16 Feb 2012, at 10:15, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>>> And I forget to say that I didn't get why the background of some methods is yellow?
>>
>> Method too long, I love this feature!

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Feb 16, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I miss running and debugging a single test from Nautilus (the current right-click menu on a method says 'Run Tests', plural, but maybe it only run the selected).
>
> And the simple Toggel Breakpoint stuff, I hate modifying methods with self halt just to have a look at what is happening.

Done :)

Ben

> On 16 Feb 2012, at 11:36, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Me too, it's one of my favorite :)
>>

>> This one, and the red icon for uncommented classes :)
>>
>> They are the two features which really have changed my way of working.
>>

>> Ben

>>> Method too long, I love this feature!

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Ben,

You are moving faster than we can test, slow down ;-)

I loaded the latest ConfigurationOfNautilus in my CI built Nautilus image and did a loadDefault.

Try to add a breakpoint gave a DNU in

NautilusUI>>toggleBreakPoint

You probably forgot #toggleBreakOnEntryIn: ?

Sven

On Feb 19, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Ben,
>
> You are moving faster than we can test, slow down ;-)

NOOOOOO ;)
I spend my time on Nautilus before I am not bored by university bullshit or something like that ;)
Then we will have all the time we need to test everything :)

(by the way, I am also improving Spec a lot :) )

> I loaded the latest ConfigurationOfNautilus in my CI built Nautilus image and did a loadDefault.
>
> Try to add a breakpoint gave a DNU in
>
> NautilusUI>>toggleBreakPoint
>
> You probably forgot #toggleBreakOnEntryIn: ?

This method is actually defined in AbstractTool in the package Tool, so I have proposed a slice :)
Now waiting for the integrators :)

Ben

On 19 Feb 2012, at 20:51, Benjamin wrote:

> This method is actually defined in AbstractTool in the package Tool, so I have proposed a slice :)
> Now waiting for the integrators :)

Yeah, these integrators are so slow, they take at least a day before integrating anything ;-)

Anyway the breakpoints are working now, super !

I noticed that the menu item text changes, cool, maybe add one of your nice icons too ??

BTW, please add the nautilus icon in the world menu, it is well deserved.
Also, the window about menu displays the class comment of NautilusUI, maybe you can make it a bit more sexy.

Sven

On Feb 20, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Ben,
>
> On 19 Feb 2012, at 20:51, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> This method is actually defined in AbstractTool in the package Tool, so I have proposed a slice :)
>> Now waiting for the integrators :)
>
> Yeah, these integrators are so slow, they take at least a day before integrating anything ;-)

Yeah, shame on them LOL

> Anyway the breakpoints are working now, super !

Cool

> I noticed that the menu item text changes, cool, maybe add one of your nice icons too ??

I could, but making icons is boring lol Nut I will asap (or open a bug entry, like that I will not forget ;) )

> BTW, please add the nautilus icon in the world menu, it is well deserved.

I tried, and it should, but I must miss something, I will try again :)

> Also, the window about menu displays the class comment of NautilusUI, maybe you can make it a bit more sexy.

I do not get it, sorry

> Sven

Thanks for your feedback,

Ben

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 20 Feb 2012, at 16:01, Benjamin wrote:

Also, the window about menu displays the class comment of NautilusUI, maybe you can make it a bit more sexy.

I do not get it, sorry

OK ;-)

Now gives:

While it should be more like:

;-)

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Ok, it's the first time I click on this button :)

Let's fix that ;)

Thanks again,

Ben

On Feb 20, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2012, at 16:01, Benjamin wrote:
>
>>> Also, the window about menu displays the class comment of NautilusUI, maybe you can make it a bit more sexy.
>>
>> I do not get it, sorry
>
> OK ;-)
>
> <Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 16.31.00.png>
>

> Now gives:
>
> <Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 16.31.22.png>
>

> While it should be more like:
>
> <Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 16.38.08.png>
>
> ;-)

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys,

I know a some of you are waiting for the integration of the RB engine into Nautilus.

Some of them are already implemented, so if you wanna test them, here is the gofer script

Gofer new
       url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
       package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
       load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilusRefactoring) perform: #loadDefault

So...that's the way of loading Nautilus with refactorings?    Wouldn't it be better to include RB dependencis in ConfigurationOfNautilus and have a specific group there. So you can do for example

ConfigurationOfNautilus project stableVersion load: 'WithRefactorings'.

?

BTW, I checked the ConfigurationOfNautilusRefactoring and it looks you miss a critical feature of Metacello: project references :)  From ConfigurationOfNautilusRefactoring you can directly depend on ConfigurationOfRB or ConfigurationOfNautilus rather than duplicating everything in there. Don't tell Stef you didn't read the chapter hahahaha

It loads everything.

For now I have only done some refactorings for classes, so if you popup the menu on a class, a new item named Refactoring should appear :)

Moreover, the 'rename class' method is replaced by the RB one :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback, and if you want to participate, you are more than welcome :)

Ben

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Nautilus Refactorings

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
To be honest, if it works, I do not want to lose my time on Configuration

It shouldn't be done by hand, but generated by a tool :)

Ben