Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Issue 12534
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?12534

From the issue:
The workflow is awkward. It has been reported before, but still doesn't feel quite right.

Use case: I'm hunting around for methods to re-categorize. I click this one, that one, another one. Okay, that's everything I need. I mouse down (whether Cmd is still pressed or not), to begin dragging my multiple selection, and the item I clicked on is de-selected, and so not included if I start dragging.

I checked in the Mac Finder, and the way it works is that it processes drags on mouse down, but [de]selection on mouse up. This works much better. If I click a selected item to drag, it works, but if I release the mouse without dragging, it toggles the selection - much more useable.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
The problem is that the drag and the selection are both triggered by mouse down.
NewList fixes this by triggering drag on mousedown, and select on mouseup

Ben

On 29 Dec 2013, at 17:21, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Issue 12534
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?12534

From the issue:

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Nicolai Hess
I am suprised multiselection is used at all. I could not get it to select what I want.
I can only select one item, shift-click for another item and all items between are selected, too.
And deselecting items in between is not possible.
(Tested on Windows platform). Does multiselection (doing multiple select/deselect) working on
a Mac?

2013/12/29 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
The problem is that the drag and the selection are both triggered by mouse down.
NewList fixes this by triggering drag on mousedown, and select on mouseup

Ben

On 29 Dec 2013, at 17:21, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Issue 12534
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?12534

From the issue:

The workflow is awkward. It has been reported before, but still doesn't
feel quite right.

Use case: I'm hunting around for methods to re-categorize. I click this
one, that one, another one. Okay, that's everything I need. I mouse down
(whether Cmd is still pressed or not), to begin dragging my multiple
selection, and the item I clicked on is de-selected, and so not included
if I start dragging.

I checked in the Mac Finder, and the way it works is that it processes
drags on mouse down, but [de]selection on mouse up. This works much
better. If I click a selected item to drag, it works, but if I release the
mouse without dragging, it toggles the selection - much more useable.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Andreas Wacknitz
Nicolai,

I can confirm your problems as I have checked this on the latest Pharo-3.0 image. On the Mac platform you can select different items by means of the CMD key.
There is no equivalent on the Windows platform as the „Windows" key seems to be ignored (or caught by the OS).

Regards,
Andreas

Am 29.12.2013 um 17:55 schrieb Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]>:

I am suprised multiselection is used at all. I could not get it to select what I want.
I can only select one item, shift-click for another item and all items between are selected, too.
And deselecting items in between is not possible.
(Tested on Windows platform). Does multiselection (doing multiple select/deselect) working on
a Mac?

2013/12/29 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
The problem is that the drag and the selection are both triggered by mouse down.
NewList fixes this by triggering drag on mousedown, and select on mouseup

Ben

On 29 Dec 2013, at 17:21, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Issue 12534
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?12534

From the issue:

The workflow is awkward. It has been reported before, but still doesn't
feel quite right.

Use case: I'm hunting around for methods to re-categorize. I click this
one, that one, another one. Okay, that's everything I need. I mouse down
(whether Cmd is still pressed or not), to begin dragging my multiple
selection, and the item I clicked on is de-selected, and so not included
if I start dragging.

I checked in the Mac Finder, and the way it works is that it processes
drags on mouse down, but [de]selection on mouse up. This works much
better. If I click a selected item to drag, it works, but if I release the
mouse without dragging, it toggles the selection - much more useable.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Stéphane Ducasse
one of our problem is that the OS of the events are sometimes mapped to strange things like macRoman I do not what or simply ignored.
This is on our todo to address that.

Stef

On 29 Dec 2013, at 18:29, Andreas Wacknitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From the issue:

[...]

Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
NewList fixes this by triggering drag on mousedown, and select on mouseup
Yes, that seems like the correct behavior. I'm not familiar with NewList. Will that be used for Nautilus eventually?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
There is a bug entry. With a slice.
I asked the guy few questions about the code.
He nevers answered. It was 2 month ago…

They are used in the proto of Nautilus made with Spec :P

Ben

On 30 Dec 2013, at 01:55, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
NewList fixes this by triggering drag on mousedown, and select on mouseup

Yes, that seems like the correct behavior. I'm not familiar with NewList.
Will that be used for Nautilus eventually?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
On 30 Dec 2013, at 01:55, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will that be used for Nautilus eventually?

There is a bug entry. With a slice.
I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds like a "maybe" ;) is the bug/slice related to using NewList for Nautilus? Will Nautilus be rewritten with Spec (and therefore NewList)?

This is not a critical problem, just a minor annoyance, but could be off-putting for new users...
Cheers,
Sean

On 31 Dec 2013, at 18:13, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
>> On 30 Dec 2013, at 01:55, Sean P. DeNigris &lt;
>
>> sean@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Will that be used for Nautilus eventually?
>>
>> There is a bug entry. With a slice.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds like a "maybe" ;)

no just that it is pending for integration.
Now our process is stalled because we face strange behavior on our servers.
More the 2nd of jan

> is the bug/slice
> related to using NewList for Nautilus? Will Nautilus be rewritten with Spec
> (and therefore NewList)?
>
> This is not a critical problem, just a minor annoyance, but could be
> off-putting for new users...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Nautilus: Selection and Drag & Drop Redux

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
>> I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds like a "maybe" ;)
>
> no just that it is pending for integration.

No. The code was globally correct, but with some strange things.
I asked for more details about the implementation, never got an answer.

So basically, there is a code base for this. But it will require at least one pass over it before having it integrated :)

Ben