Nautilus and grey out text

kilon
I went through the Nautilus pdf and it seems to explains most of the thing but the grey out text. Any idea why some classess and methods are grey out ?

By the way congratulation to Nautilus author and all people contributing to it , it certainly looks  like a big improvement over the classic system browser.

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:03, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I went through the Nautilus pdf and it seems to explains most of the thing but the grey out text. Any idea why some classess and methods are grey out ?
>
> By the way congratulation to Nautilus author and all people contributing to it , it certainly looks  like a big improvement over the classic system browser.

I would say: welcome to Pharo Smalltalk ;-)

This is why/how we do it: keep on improving the infrastructure in small steps and sometimes replace big parts. The amount of things already done, being done and in the pipeline is really spectacular.

And yes, Nautilus is really cool.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

Pavel Krivanek-3
If a package A adds an exteinson to a class from different package B then the extended class from package B is grayed out and all methods that are not part of the package A too.

-- Pavel

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I went through the Nautilus pdf and it seems to explains most of the thing but the grey out text. Any idea why some classess and methods are grey out ?

By the way congratulation to Nautilus author and all people contributing to it , it certainly looks  like a big improvement over the classic system browser.

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

kilon
Thank you for the welcome , and yes I try to move with small steps and first make sure I know pharo very well before I propose or try to change anything in it. Seem I got tons to learn and thats a very good thing :)

Any chance you can reply to my initial question why some classes and methods and protocols are grey out in nautilus ?

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:03, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I went through the Nautilus pdf and it seems to explains most of the thing but the grey out text. Any idea why some classess and methods are grey out ?
>
> By the way congratulation to Nautilus author and all people contributing to it , it certainly looks  like a big improvement over the classic system browser.

I would say: welcome to Pharo Smalltalk ;-)

This is why/how we do it: keep on improving the infrastructure in small steps and sometimes replace big parts. The amount of things already done, being done and in the pipeline is really spectacular.

And yes, Nautilus is really cool.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

kilon
Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:25, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

No, it is extension with respect to Monticello/RPackage packaging.

thanks added to my list of things to study :)

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:25, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

No, it is extension with respect to Monticello/RPackage packaging.

If you have got a package named MyPackage then if some class that is not part of this package has got some methods in categories named like *MyPackage(-Something) (star, package name, optional category) then this methods are bundled together with MyPackage.

-- Pavel

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks added to my list of things to study :)

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:25, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

No, it is extension with respect to Monticello/RPackage packaging.

Oh I see, very clever, are those methods traits ?

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:25, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

No, it is extension with respect to Monticello/RPackage packaging.

EstebanLM
No, just a method added to a class, and categorized with a special name: *NameOfThePackageWhereItBelongs

Esteban

On Dec 12, 2012, at 11:11 AM, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oh I see, very clever, are those methods traits ?

On 12 Dec 2012, at 10:25, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply , by "extension" you mean inheritance ? Package A class subclasses package B class ?

No, it is extension with respect to Monticello/RPackage packaging.

ok I understand now thank you all for the clarifications. Very exciting and powerful stuff, the more I learn about pharo and smalltalk the more I love it.

On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:20, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok I understand now thank you all for the clarifications.

> Very exciting and powerful stuff, the more I learn about pharo and smalltalk the more I love it.

Yes, Dimitris, that is the idea. But you have been warned: once you get infected it is hard to go back ;-)

One other thing: there is a Pharo-Users mailing list as well, it has less traffic, but the idea is that conversations like the one in this thread (how do I do this or that ? what does this or that mean ?) are better held there.

http://www.pharo-project.org/community

Keep on asking questions !

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

kilon
Noted and subscribed will ask nooby questions there from there on in combination with stackoverflow.

Be prepared to be bombared by questions , raise your shields :D

The more I discover about pharo (and smalltalk in general) the more I believe that pharo is the right choice for my project Ephestos. For example visual coding wise(an area that I want to focus on)  i found thanks to PharoCasts Roassal http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/09/roassal.html?utm_source=BP_recent and some cool thing one can do with morphs and physics http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/01/morphic-and-physics.html?utm_source=BP_recent and I am especially interest in nautilus, glamour, ring, lumiere and all these new things for me that feels like an early christmas present.

But yes definetly will ask those questions in the users mailing list after i read the documentation.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Nautilus and grey out text

Peter Hugosson-Miller
On 12 dec 2012, at 11:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:20, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ok I understand now thank you all for the clarifications.
>
>> Very exciting and powerful stuff, the more I learn about pharo and smalltalk the more I love it.
>
> Yes, Dimitris, that is the idea. But you have been warned: once you get infected it is hard to go back ;-)

That was the understatement of the year: I went from using Smalltalk in my daily job for 15 years, to Java. Two years later and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could have carried on using Smalltalk!

How long does it take for the infection to be cured, anyone know?

Peter.

On 12 Dec 2012, at 15:32, Peter Hugosson-Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 dec 2012, at 11:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:20, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> ok I understand now thank you all for the clarifications.
>>
>>> Very exciting and powerful stuff, the more I learn about pharo and smalltalk the more I love it.
>>
>> Yes, Dimitris, that is the idea. But you have been warned: once you get infected it is hard to go back ;-)
>
> That was the understatement of the year: I went from using Smalltalk in my daily job for 15 years, to Java. Two years later and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could have carried on using Smalltalk!
>
> How long does it take for the infection to be cured, anyone know?

If you have been programming Smalltalk for that long you are effectively incurable, infected for life, sorry to be so bold.
At least you should spent all your free time doing Smalltalk, better would be to find another job or start a company to do Smalltalk.

;-)