Nautilus version 4.0.4

12

Nautilus version 4.0.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hi guys,

I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.

Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:

- better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
- better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
- more menu entries and shortcuts
- Monticello integration
- OCompletion integration
- a lot of new icons :)

(and some cleans in the code but ^^)

Thanks every one for your good energy :)

Ben

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Ben,

On 26 Feb 2012, at 18:28, Benjamin wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.
>
> Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:
>
> - better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
> - better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
> - more menu entries and shortcuts
> - Monticello integration
> - OCompletion integration
> - a lot of new icons :)
>
> (and some cleans in the code but ^^)
>

> Thanks every one for your good energy :)
>

> Ben

Great!

Can you put up a page somewhere describing the official way to get Nautilus with all its goodies loaded or how to update it correctly ? I know there is the CI image, but there seems to be some confusion around the ConfigurationOfNautilus.

Thx,

Sven

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ben,

On 26 Feb 2012, at 18:28, Benjamin wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.
>
> Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:
>
> - better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
> - better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
> - more menu entries and shortcuts
> - Monticello integration
> - OCompletion integration
> - a lot of new icons :)
>
> (and some cleans in the code but ^^)
>

> Thanks every one for your good energy :)
>

> Ben

Great!

Can you put up a page somewhere describing the official way to get Nautilus with all its goodies loaded or how to update it correctly ? I know there is the CI image, but there seems to be some confusion around the ConfigurationOfNautilus.

I have a blog post in the owen...but just a little piece ;)

Gofer it
url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) loadRelease.

Thx,

Sven

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I am just fixing Jenkins right now :)

The thing is to properly work, this version depend on the last version of AbstractTool not yet integrated (I forgot to push it earlier).

But by the way, the image on jenkins should be ok :)
There are 4 versions of Nautilus on Jenkins:
- Nautilus without RPackage: really old and out dated but used by Nick for this experimentations about remote debugging
- Nautilus-Core: Nautilus without Refactorings
- Nautilus: the browse and the Refactorings
- Nautilus-Release: the full version with refactorings and OCompletion (I just added it to Jenkins, so the time the script is detected and the image successfully build, it could take some time).

Or you can load the latest version of ConfigurationOfNautilus[1] and load what you want (there are methods on class side: loadCore, loadRefactorings and loadRelease).
If you do that, you first have to reinitialize Nautilus (because the groups changed a lot) by doing Nautilus initialize. You will lose your current groups, but it should not be a big deal :)

[1]
Gofer new
        url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
        load.

Nautilus initialize.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #load#{Refactorings | Core | Release}.

It should work :)

Ben

On Feb 26, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Ben,
>
> On 26 Feb 2012, at 18:28, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.
>>
>> Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:
>>
>> - better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
>> - better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
>> - more menu entries and shortcuts
>> - Monticello integration
>> - OCompletion integration
>> - a lot of new icons :)
>>
>> (and some cleans in the code but ^^)
>>

>> Thanks every one for your good energy :)
>>

>> Ben
>
> Great!
>
> Can you put up a page somewhere describing the official way to get Nautilus with all its goodies loaded or how to update it correctly ? I know there is the CI image, but there seems to be some confusion around the ConfigurationOfNautilus.
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ben,

On 26 Feb 2012, at 18:28, Benjamin wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.
>
> Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:
>
> - better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
> - better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
> - more menu entries and shortcuts
> - Monticello integration
> - OCompletion integration
> - a lot of new icons :)
>
> (and some cleans in the code but ^^)
>

> Thanks every one for your good energy :)
>

> Ben

Great!

Can you put up a page somewhere describing the official way to get Nautilus with all its goodies loaded or how to update it correctly ? I know there is the CI image, but there seems to be some confusion around the ConfigurationOfNautilus.

I have a blog post in the owen...but just a little piece ;)

As promise, here it is: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/nautilus-the-reborn-of-the-systembrowser/

Ben, don't forget to cc pharo-users  ;)

Cheers

Gofer it
url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) loadRelease.

Thx,

Sven

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-users] Nautilus version 4.0.4

Mariano Martinez Peck

Ben, don't forget to cc pharo-users  ;)

I do not get it :S

When you do an ANN, do not only send it to [hidden email] but also to [hidden email]

Thanks again,

Ben

Cheers

Gofer it
url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) loadRelease.

Thx,

Sven

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

laurent laffont
Hi Benjamin,

I've worked with Nautilus and I like it. Several nice ideas to work faster. Good work !

Bugs:
- Go in groups, select a class. Click Hierarchy, then Groups. The Hierarchy/Flat button state is wrong.
- jump to test class not working (MNU)

Suggestions:
- we don't know if a test is running or finished. I would like some visual feedback.
- history: I would like to go backward faster without tens of click. Something like a drop down history like in web browsers
- I hardly see if I browse instance or class side. Maybe change class color/font would help.
- In Amber commented classes have not the same font color. Easy to see which class to look at for documentation.
- Right click on a class, Analyzing menu. Create inst var / Create initializer / Generate / Force generation... entries should better be in refactoring  ?

Cheers

Laurent

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.

Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:

- better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
- better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
- more menu entries and shortcuts
- Monticello integration
- OCompletion integration
- a lot of new icons :)

(and some cleans in the code but ^^)

Thanks every one for your good energy :)

Ben

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

On Feb 29, 2012, at 8:44 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi Benjamin,

I've worked with Nautilus and I like it. Several nice ideas to work faster. Good work !

Bugs:
- Go in groups, select a class. Click Hierarchy, then Groups. The Hierarchy/Flat button state is wrong.
- jump to test class not working (MNU)

Fixed, thanks :)

Suggestions:
- we don't know if a test is running or finished. I would like some visual feedback.

I am working on self destructive balloon morphs for such events.
Because you want a popup to get the info, but you do not want this popup to interrupt you :)
Something like Growl seems to work well ;)
(the same when no senders are found etc)

- history: I would like to go backward faster without tens of click. Something like a drop down history like in web browsers

Yes, I will work on that ;)

- I hardly see if I browse instance or class side. Maybe change class color/font would help.

I fixed that :) Now on class side, protocol and methods font is bold.

- In Amber commented classes have not the same font color. Easy to see which class to look at for documentation.

Here, uncommented class get this icon

- Right click on a class, Analyzing menu. Create inst var / Create initializer / Generate / Force generation... entries should better be in refactoring  ?

In fact, this menu is the poor version of refactoring which is here even in the core version (like in Browser).
Normally, all this entries should be also present in a RB version, but I do not have time to learn how RB works right now :s

Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions :)

Ben

Cheers

Laurent

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I really want to thank you all for your feedbacks which give me the will to always add cool features to Nautilus.

Thanks to that, let me introduce the new stable version with some new features:

- better groups (now the granularity is method and no longer class)
- better algorithm for coloring protocols and methods
- more menu entries and shortcuts
- Monticello integration
- OCompletion integration
- a lot of new icons :)

(and some cleans in the code but ^^)

Thanks every one for your good energy :)

Ben

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions :)

Thanks for making the world a better place

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ben/Laurent:  it would be really nice to open issues so that not to forget things :)
sorry, but no time now :(

On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

I did that yesterday:

(you can specify the position, the width the height, the margin, and it automatically split the text if it's too long ^^ )

Ben

- history: I would like to go backward faster without tens of click. Something like a drop down history like in web browsers

Yes, I will work on that ;)

- I hardly see if I browse instance or class side. Maybe change class color/font would help.

I fixed that :) Now on class side, protocol and methods font is bold.

- In Amber commented classes have not the same font color. Easy to see which class to look at for documentation.

Here, uncommented class get this icon <UncommentedClass.png>

[...]

Stéphane Ducasse

>> I am working on self destructive balloon morphs for such events.
>> Because you want a popup to get the info, but you do not want this popup to interrupt you :)
>> Something like Growl seems to work well ;)
>> (the same when no senders are found etc)
>
> I did that yesterday:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/VanishingMorph.mov
>
> (you can specify the position, the width the height, the margin, and it automatically split the text if it's too long ^^ )

Cool!
Just a question the growlMorph was not good enough?

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:55 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> I am working on self destructive balloon morphs for such events.
>>> Because you want a popup to get the info, but you do not want this popup to interrupt you :)
>>> Something like Growl seems to work well ;)
>>> (the same when no senders are found etc)
>>
>> I did that yesterday:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/VanishingMorph.mov
>>
>> (you can specify the position, the width the height, the margin, and it automatically split the text if it's too long ^^ )
>
> Cool!
> Just a question the growlMorph was not good enough?

What is this ? Where can I find it ?

Ben

> Stef

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Stéphane Ducasse
MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Growl'
    user: ''
    password: ''

Feel free to improve it :)
We should include it by default in the system.

Stef

>>> I did that yesterday:
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/VanishingMorph.mov
>>>
>>> (you can specify the position, the width the height, the margin, and it automatically split the text if it's too long ^^ )
>>
>> Cool!
>> Just a question the growlMorph was not good enough?
>
> What is this ? Where can I find it ?
>

> Ben
>

>> Stef

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

patmaddox
Does this load on Pharo 1.3? I tried loading it but it barfed on something like "Browser does not understand addGroup.." (don't entirely remember the error message).

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:45 PM, patmaddox wrote:

> Does this load on Pharo 1.3? I tried loading it but it barfed on something
> like "Browser does not understand addGroup.." (don't entirely remember the
> error message).

No, we are at the same time improving the base system.

e.g.

- MC now emits announcements that Nautilus can react on.
- Widgets are improved. Example: Multi-selection, lots more
- Specs, declaratively define UIs.
- RPackage: Merge SystemCategories with PackageInfo, for real.
- Ring. This replaces MethodReferences and provides a meta-model
  for code.

I think in the end it's a question of philsophy. Some people say that
a project like Nautilus should run on 1.3 and 1.4 (and possibly Squeak
and even VW and VA), and never ever improve anything in the systems
We disagree ;-)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I do not think so, since I fixed a lot the system itself :S

Sorry. (Maybe it's a good excuse to try Pharo 1.4 ^^ )

Ben

On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:44 PM, patmaddox wrote:

> Does this load on Pharo 1.3? I tried loading it but it barfed on something
> like "Browser does not understand addGroup.." (don't entirely remember the
> error message).

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

patmaddox
> I do not think so, since I fixed a lot the system itself :S
>
> Sorry. (Maybe it's a good excuse to try Pharo 1.4 ^^ )

understood. thanks. I'll keep spending some time trying to get my stuff to run on 1.4.

Re: Nautilus version 4.0.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I made some improvements in it, and I will use it :)

But here, the Growl morph is really text oriented when in my version, you can add whatever you want :)

Maybe I will do a refactor in Growl to have this abstraction I don't know :)

But for sure, you did a cool job with Doru, and I will use it n Nautilus :)

Ben

On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:07 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> MCHttpRepository
>    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Growl'
>    user: ''
>    password: ''
>
> Feel free to improve it :)
> We should include it by default in the system.
>
> Stef

>>> Cool!
>>> Just a question the growlMorph was not good enough?
>>
>> What is this ? Where can I find it ?
>>

>> Ben
>>

>>> Stef

12