classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nautilus with inline QA?

Uko2
Hi everyone,

I suspect that many of people want to have their Nautilus transformed into something like this:

yes, the critiques are inlined. In fact I just needed to add 1 line of code, a the solution used in the MessageBrowser can be reused.

On the other hand maybe someone prefers the list at the bottom and we are in code freeze anyway. What I think is: maybe we can integrate this (as essentially the functionality was “tested” in MassageBrowser” already, but have it disabled by default and allow developers to turn it on using preferences? This way the ones who want this can turn it on and provide feedback whether it makes sense, while everything will stay the old way for the others.

Cheers!
Uko 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nautilus with inline QA?

EstebanLM

> On 1 Dec 2016, at 10:12, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I suspect that many of people want to have their Nautilus transformed into something like this:
>
> <Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 17.33.27.png>
> yes, the critiques are inlined. In fact I just needed to add 1 line of code, a the solution used in the MessageBrowser can be reused.
>
> On the other hand maybe someone prefers the list at the bottom and we are in code freeze anyway. What I think is: maybe we can integrate this (as essentially the functionality was “tested” in MassageBrowser” already, but have it disabled by default and allow developers to turn it on using preferences? This way the ones who want this can turn it on and provide feedback whether it makes sense, while everything will stay the old way for the others.

yes please.
this is a “first impressions count”: no api change but UI change that makes our lives a bit better and pharo a bit cooler :)

So: active by default, opening a the box in preferences.

cheers,
Esteban

>
> Cheers!
> Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov

2016-12-01 10:19 GMT+01:00 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
yes please.
this is a “first impressions count”: no api change but UI change that makes our lives a bit better and pharo a bit cooler :)

+1
Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Yuriy,

This is much better!!! I have the Nautilus integration ON, but I admit I sometimes simply forget checking out that much below in the browser. It does not yet catch up my attention enough to watch it. Maybe it's simple that I am failing  myself and compromise to watch. 
So......having this inline QA would really help me in that direction!!  
+999

Cheers,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

2016-12-01 10:19 GMT+01:00 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
yes please.

+1

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
In reply to this post by Uko2

2016-12-01 10:12 GMT+01:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:
yes, the critiques are inlined. In fact I just needed to add 1 line of code, a the solution used in the MessageBrowser can be reused.

Could you show this line?
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov

2016-12-01 14:44 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

Full method will be better :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
You just need to add

method annotateRubricText: self sourceTextModel

to the end of 

AbstractNautilusUI>>#addIconStyle

Definitely this is greatly possible because Markus has nice implementation of these icon annotations.

Uko

On 1 Dec 2016, at 14:45, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

2016-12-01 14:44 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

Full method will be better :)

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
I think that I will start with having it disabled at the beginning. Because the current implementation of icon annotator does not work for classes and it is not asynchronous which means that for large classes and maybe for some methods it may be not efficient.

Oh yes, and let’s not forget about the package-critiques…

Uko

On 1 Dec 2016, at 10:19, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios

Good idea, but what I will also like is for QA to take advantage of the wasted space in the status bar and display info that is related to the line the cursor is currently located. If the cursor is not enables then QA can display its general info.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
In reply to this post by Uko2

2016-12-01 10:12 GMT+01:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:

On the other hand maybe someone prefers the list at the bottom and we are in code freeze anyway. What I think is: maybe we can integrate this (as essentially the functionality was “tested” in MassageBrowser” already, but have it disabled by default and allow developers to turn it on using preferences? This way the ones who want this can turn it on and provide feedback whether it makes sense, while everything will stay the old way for the others.

I just found that it is already working in MessageBrowser but absent in Nautilus. 
But icons over halt are only shown in Nautilus.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov

2016-12-02 13:00 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
I just found that it is already working in MessageBrowser but absent in Nautilus. 

In MessageBrowser icons starts to be shown only after first manual selection 
Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
I prefer the list because I do not like to have to press on the icon to get its meaning. 
With the list I know immediately what is the problem. 

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

2016-12-02 13:00 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

In MessageBrowser icons starts to be shown only after first manual selection