Need Idea for Pharo with freeCAD

shawon58
Hello
I am starting learning about pharo. So my supervisor give task to learn how
to connect pharo with FreeCAD. is there any idea how i can start to learn
and what will way to learn Connect pharo with freeCAD. If i can able to run
any simple code in pharo which can able to function freeCAD. Than my Grade
will be save for the Project i take . Need Guidelines.
Thanks

Re: Need Idea for Pharo with freeCAD

cedreek
Hi and welcome,

FreeCAD is quite a nice software. I don’t know what you’d like to have but there is a python API that might be a starting point.

There are some python bridges too for pharo but never used them.

HTH
Cedrick

Le 8 mai 2020 à 08:15, shawon58 <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello
I am starting learning about pharo. So my supervisor give task to learn how
to connect pharo with FreeCAD. is there any idea how i can start to learn
and what will way to learn Connect pharo with freeCAD. If i can able to run
any simple code in pharo which can able to function freeCAD. Than my Grade
will be save for the Project i take . Need Guidelines.
Thanks

Re: Need Idea for Pharo with freeCAD

tbrunz
Hi Shawon,

I'm not familiar with FreeCAD, but there are a few general methods for
connecting Pharo with other software applications.

The lowest-level method would be to use the Pharo uFFI (Universal Foreign
Function Interface), which would be appropriate if FreeCAD has an API/ABI
(Application Programming|Binary Interface); this would allow you to directly
connect Pharo via a C programming interface.

There is a PDF booklet to introduce you to the uFFI here:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-uFFI/releases

Pharo can also control other software through a command shell interface.
This would allow a Pharo application to launch FreeCAD (with command line
parameters); you may need to do this to get FreeCAD running in order to
connect to it.  Christopher Fuhrman has written a good description of how
this can be done here:
https://fuhrmanator.github.io/2019/03/16/LibC-Pharo-experiments.html

And since you are learning about Pharo, you will probably want to read at
least the first two of three Pharo Tutorial Series booklets.  Here is the
first:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample80/releases

and the second one is here, third row from the bottom, "Deep into Pharo":
http://books.pharo.org/

Have fun, and ask questions as you need to!

-Ted