Need a local tutor for Squeak

Joseph Alotta
I need a local person to help me with Squeak Smalltalk.  I like in the Western suburbs of Chicago, in Downers Grove.  I want someone to show me all the things I am missing and to help me use the tools more effectively.

I am thinking we could meet at a coffee shop once a week for an hour.  I would pay for each lesson, $70.

Sincerely,

Joe Alotta
joseph.alotta@gmail.com

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

jelena

re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Craig Latta

Hi Joe--

> I need a local person to help me with Squeak Smalltalk.  I live in the
> Western suburbs of Chicago, in Downers Grove.  I want someone to show
> me all the things I am missing and to help me use the tools more
> effectively.
>
> I am thinking we could meet at a coffee shop once a week for an
> hour.  I would pay for each lesson, $70.

     If you decide you'd be willing to do remote lessons, I'd be happy
to help online live from Amsterdam.

     Success!

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 12/05/16 15:23, Craig Latta wrote:
>      If you decide you'd be willing to do remote lessons, I'd be happy
> to help online live from Amsterdam.

As I've observed in several smalltalk workshops given at the yearly
FOSDEM conference, Craig is very patient and clear in explaining, and
has an enormous experience in all things smalltalk. He'd make an
excellent tutor.

Stephan Eggermont

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Joseph Alotta
Thanks Stephan and Craig,

I will keep it in mind.  I haven’t given up on a local tutor yet.

Sincerely.

Joe.

> On May 13, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Stephan Eggermont [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/05/16 15:23, Craig Latta wrote:
> >      If you decide you'd be willing to do remote lessons, I'd be happy
> > to help online live from Amsterdam.
>
> As I've observed in several smalltalk workshops given at the yearly
> FOSDEM conference, Craig is very patient and clear in explaining, and
> has an enormous experience in all things smalltalk. He'd make an
> excellent tutor.
>
> Stephan Eggermont

> http://forum.world.st/Need-a-local-tutor-for-Squeak-tp4888503p4894581.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi Joe and Craig,

Not sure if it will help but I’ll donate a Terf space for you to use for lessons.  You can drink virtual coffee while learning Squeak in Squeak! J

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Chief Executive Officer

3D Immersive Collaboration Consulting

[hidden email]

Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum

www.3Dicc.com

https://www.google.com/+3Dicc

I will keep it in mind.  I haven’t given up on a local tutor yet.

Sincerely.

Joe.

> On May 13, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Stephan Eggermont [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/05/16 15:23, Craig Latta wrote:
> >      If you decide you'd be willing to do remote lessons, I'd be happy
> > to help online live from Amsterdam.
>
> As I've observed in several smalltalk workshops given at the yearly
> FOSDEM conference, Craig is very patient and clear in explaining, and
> has an enormous experience in all things smalltalk. He'd make an
> excellent tutor.
>
> Stephan Eggermont

> http://forum.world.st/Need-a-local-tutor-for-Squeak-tp4888503p4894581.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Sent from the Squeak - Beginners mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Joseph Alotta
what’s a terf space?

> On May 13, 2016, at 8:24 AM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe and Craig,
>

> Not sure if it will help but I’ll donate a Terf space for you to use for lessons.  You can drink virtual coffee while learning Squeak in Squeak! J
>

> All the best,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum
>
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> 3D Immersive Collaboration Consulting
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum
>
> www.3Dicc.com
>
> https://www.google.com/+3Dicc

Terf is a virtual world used for collaboration.  We provide VOIP, webcams, video, document sharing (doc, xls, ppt, pdf, txt), web browsing, sticky notes, 3d objects and more.  It’s like being in the same room together.  You can even sit at a table with virtual coffee!

www.3dicc.com

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

> On May 13, 2016, at 8:24 AM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe and Craig,
>

> Not sure if it will help but I’ll donate a Terf space for you to use for lessons.  You can drink virtual coffee while learning Squeak in Squeak! J
>

> All the best,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum
>
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> 3D Immersive Collaboration Consulting
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum
>
> www.3Dicc.com
>
> https://www.google.com/+3Dicc

David T. Lewis
That's a really good idea!

Dave

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 06:27:26AM -0700, Joseph Alotta wrote:
> what???s a terf space?

You can see it here:

http://www.3dicc.com/product-details/

Dave

> > On May 13, 2016, at 8:24 AM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Joe and Craig,
> >

> > Not sure if it will help but I???ll donate a Terf space for you to use for lessons.  You can drink virtual coffee while learning Squeak in Squeak! J
> >

> > All the best,
> >

> > Ron Teitelbaum
> >
> > Chief Executive Officer
> >
> > 3D Immersive Collaboration Consulting
> >
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum
> >
> > www.3Dicc.com
> >
> > https://www.google.com/+3Dicc

askoh
Administrator
Ron:

Have you thought about a virtual equivalent to meetup.com? Is there something available already?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Joseph Alotta
It would be very hard to compete with meetup.  They have a moat because they were first.  I run a meetup group and I have 1000 members, just because they are on meetup and not somewhere else.

Same thing for eBay.  Everyone hates it.  But it is where the buyers and the sellers are.

Sincerely,

Joe.

> On May 16, 2016, at 12:39 AM, askoh [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ron:
>
> Have you thought about a virtual equivalent to meetup.com? Is there something available already?
>
> All the best,
> Aik-Siong Koh

> http://forum.world.st/Need-a-local-tutor-for-Squeak-tp4888503p4895074.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum

Odd that I never got Aik-Siong Koh email!  Checked junk mail also but nothing.  Did everyone else get it or am I missing something?  Ahh maybe the email didn’t go to [hidden email]?

I have been thinking about something along those lines, something where users could purchase a single license and then connect to various organizations, events and activities.  This is the opposite of having an organizer pay.  Either way it does seem like a good idea!

Thanks for suggesting it.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

It would be very hard to compete with meetup.  They have a moat because they were first.  I run a meetup group and I have 1000 members, just because they are on meetup and not somewhere else.

Same thing for eBay.  Everyone hates it.  But it is where the buyers and the sellers are.

Sincerely,

Joe.

> On May 16, 2016, at 12:39 AM, askoh [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ron:
>
> Have you thought about a virtual equivalent to meetup.com? Is there something available already?
>
> All the best,
> Aik-Siong Koh

> http://forum.world.st/Need-a-local-tutor-for-Squeak-tp4888503p4895074.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Sent from the Squeak - Beginners mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

askoh
Administrator
In MeetUp, I go to a real place to meet real people. Great for popular activities.

But I would like to meet Smalltalkers once a month or a week for realtime conversations. There are too few or no one nearby who are interested. A virtual meeting place would be a great substitute. Is there such a website or app?

Perhaps, in the future we can combine physical with virtual meetings simultaneously. A remote user can see the real meeting room and identify the person he wants to talk to. He then calls that person to start a conversation. Does such a capability exist?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Need a local tutor for Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum

[Ron Teitelbaum] Right now I think your options are Facebook or google
hangouts.  There is also second life which used to have a lot of areas
dedicated for different activities like science and academia but it turned
into a ghost town for most of the useful areas.  I like the idea but need to
really think it through.  The real problem with 3d as I see it is that there
is a certain amount of investment required of users to learn and understand
the platform.  The activity needs to pay back that investment with something
useful.  We do well in education, training, counseling, and collaboration.
Places where the software provides sufficient benefits to the users to pay
back that investment.  MeetUp is a calendaring and coordination application.
It has a very low cost to users to use and understand and a minimal cost to
organizers, and a benefit that organizers can charge more than the cost to
members that participate.  I'm not sure that the same is true of a virtual
world.  We tried having google hangouts for Squeak people!  That was fun,
but difficult to coordinate.  It also quickly dropped off in attendance
after the first few meetings.  If someone would like to use Terf for Squeak
meetings, and we can organize something that would be useful to pay back
participants, I would be very interested.  Please feel free to contact me.
[hidden email].  What I would suggest is an agenda, speakers, training,
sprints, documentation days, programming contests, something like that.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum