Need help fixing my image

12

Need help fixing my image

sergio_101-2
it's surprising easy to totally mess up a pier/seaside image.. i think
i find new ways every day..

i have a  new image ready to go for my photography site. i am trying
desperately to release it today, and am having trouble..

in order to get it ready to save the image every half hour, i
installed scheduler
(http://squeaksource.com/@mlSPrDhf5NjYQ5So/UwX1Tlcu)..

i set up an instance of scheduler, and it caused all sorts of
problems.. so i deleted the classes..

unfortunately, the problems are all still there. it appears that it's
still looking for the classes, and it keeps crashing with a system
error. i will try attaching a screen shot.. it's not a debug error,
but an actual system error..

i can't reinstall scheduler, because that error pops up again, and kills it..

if i could find whatever calls are being made to scheduler, i could
delete that, and that should work..

or, if i could somehow revert to the image before i added scheduler,
that would fix it too, but i can't figure out how to do that, either.
The backup images that pier was saving have the same  problem..

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks..

--
----
peace,

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
1. reinstall all your code in a fresh pharo
2. don't trust images for persisting

On Jan 3, 2011, at 1:47 PM, sergio_101 wrote:

> it's surprising easy to totally mess up a pier/seaside image.. i think
> i find new ways every day..
>
> i have a  new image ready to go for my photography site. i am trying
> desperately to release it today, and am having trouble..
>
> in order to get it ready to save the image every half hour, i
> installed scheduler
> (http://squeaksource.com/@mlSPrDhf5NjYQ5So/UwX1Tlcu)..
>
> i set up an instance of scheduler, and it caused all sorts of
> problems.. so i deleted the classes..
>
> unfortunately, the problems are all still there. it appears that it's
> still looking for the classes, and it keeps crashing with a system
> error. i will try attaching a screen shot.. it's not a debug error,
> but an actual system error..
>
> i can't reinstall scheduler, because that error pops up again, and kills it..
>
> if i could find whatever calls are being made to scheduler, i could
> delete that, and that should work..
>
> or, if i could somehow revert to the image before i added scheduler,
> that would fix it too, but i can't figure out how to do that, either.
> The backup images that pier was saving have the same  problem..
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated...
>
> thanks..
>
> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

sergio_101-2
> 1. reinstall all your code in a fresh pharo
> 2. don't trust images for persisting

actually, it's just a pier site.. so if i could just get my pages out,
that would work..

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

Yanni Chiu
On 03/01/11 10:47 AM, sergio_101 wrote:

> in order to get it ready to save the image every half hour, i
> installed scheduler
> (http://squeaksource.com/@mlSPrDhf5NjYQ5So/UwX1Tlcu)..

You should use Pier Image Persistency. You login to your Pier site as
"admin", and navigate to the system management pages, to set this up.
You'll have to install OSProcess because it forks a unix process to do
the save image, while the parent process continues serving pages. The
child process which does the image save will no longer serve pages
correctly, due to stuff done prior to the image save. However, the saved
image should re-initialize stuff on image startup, and should then serve
pages properly.

> i set up an instance of scheduler, and it caused all sorts of
> problems.. so i deleted the classes..
>
> unfortunately, the problems are all still there. it appears that it's
> still looking for the classes, and it keeps crashing with a system
> error. i will try attaching a screen shot.. it's not a debug error,
> but an actual system error..
>
> i can't reinstall scheduler, because that error pops up again, and kills it..
>
> if i could find whatever calls are being made to scheduler, i could
> delete that, and that should work..

Try: Open a Process browser from the World menu. Find the Scheduler
process and terminate it.

Re: Need help fixing my image

Lukas Renggli
> in order to get it ready to save the image every half hour, i
> installed scheduler
> (http://squeaksource.com/@mlSPrDhf5NjYQ5So/UwX1Tlcu)..
>

> You should use Pier Image Persistency. You login to your Pier site as "admin", and navigate to the system management pages, to set this up.

Indeed, use the built in persistency. I've been using it for years on
many sites without problems. Anything else might not properly work and
might break Pier (aka interrupt it at bad moments).

> You'll have to install OSProcess because it forks a unix process to do the save image, while the parent process continues serving pages. The child process which does the image save will no longer serve pages correctly, due to stuff done prior to the image save. However, the saved image should re-initialize stuff on image startup, and should then serve pages

OSProcess is not a requirement. In fact I have not installed it in
most of my images.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

Yanni Chiu
On 03/01/11 11:45 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> You'll have to install OSProcess because it forks a unix process to do the save image, while the parent process continues serving pages. The child process which does the image save will no longer serve pages correctly, due to stuff done prior to the image save. However, the saved image should re-initialize stuff on image startup, and should then serve pages
>
> OSProcess is not a requirement. In fact I have not installed it in
> most of my images.

Okay, maybe I'll try again. IIRC, my image would not save itself
periodically, until I installed OSProcess. Good to know it's optional.

Re: Need help fixing my image

sergio_101-2
> Try: Open a Process browser from the World menu. Find the Scheduler process
> and terminate it.

okay, i tried this, but i think i was barking up the wrong tree..

i am getting the following error:

now
        ^ self basicNew
                ticks: (Duration
                                days: SqueakEpoch
                                hours: 0
                                minutes: 0
                                seconds: self totalSeconds
                                nanoSeconds: MillisecondClockOffset milliSeconds * NanosInMillisecond) ticks
                offset: self localOffset;
                yourself

where MillisecondClockOffset is causing a problem..

Message Not Understood: AnObsoleteMillisecondClockOffset class >> milliSeconds

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

sergio_101-2
got it..

if i could just do THIS.. i could launch my site..

export all my pages (PRPage allInstances) and import them into another image..

that would RULE..

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
can't you just use SIXX for that?
or image segments?

On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:

> got it..
>
> if i could just do THIS.. i could launch my site..
>
> export all my pages (PRPage allInstances) and import them into another image..
>
> that would RULE..
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> in order to get it ready to save the image every half hour, i
>>> installed scheduler
>>> (http://squeaksource.com/@mlSPrDhf5NjYQ5So/UwX1Tlcu)..
>>>

>>> You should use Pier Image Persistency. You login to your Pier site as "admin", and navigate to the system management pages, to set this up.
>>
>> Indeed, use the built in persistency. I've been using it for years on
>> many sites without problems. Anything else might not properly work and
>> might break Pier (aka interrupt it at bad moments).
>>
>>> You'll have to install OSProcess because it forks a unix process to do the save image, while the parent process continues serving pages. The child process which does the image save will no longer serve pages correctly, due to stuff done prior to the image save. However, the saved image should re-initialize stuff on image startup, and should then serve pages
>>
>> OSProcess is not a requirement. In fact I have not installed it in
>> most of my images.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

Lukas Renggli
SIXX doesn't scale.

Image segments are complicated (there is an experimental
implementation coming with Pier Image Persistency).

Lukas

On 3 January 2011 18:26, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> can't you just use SIXX for that?
> or image segments?
>

> On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:
>
>> got it..
>>
>> if i could just do THIS.. i could launch my site..
>>
>> export all my pages (PRPage allInstances) and import them into another image..
>>
>> that would RULE..

>>> Indeed, use the built in persistency. I've been using it for years on
>>> many sites without problems. Anything else might not properly work and
>>> might break Pier (aka interrupt it at bad moments).

>>> OSProcess is not a requirement. In fact I have not installed it in
>>> most of my images.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch
>>>

>> --
>> ----
>> peace,
>> sergio
>> photographer, journalist, visionary
>>
>> http://www.CodingForHire.com
>> http://www.coffee-black.com
>> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
>> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
>> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Came on, the guy is in a hurry, are you telling that SIXX will not handle his bunch of pages?

On Jan 3, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> SIXX doesn't scale.
>
> Image segments are complicated (there is an experimental
> implementation coming with Pier Image Persistency).
>
> Lukas
>
> On 3 January 2011 18:26, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> can't you just use SIXX for that?
>> or image segments?
>>

>> On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:
>>
>>> got it..
>>>
>>> if i could just do THIS.. i could launch my site..
>>>
>>> export all my pages (PRPage allInstances) and import them into another image..
>>>
>>> that would RULE..

>>> --
>>> ----
>>> peace,
>>> sergio
>>> photographer, journalist, visionary
>>>
>>> http://www.CodingForHire.com
>>> http://www.coffee-black.com
>>> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
>>> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
>>> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

sergio_101-2
i am working through this on the command line, to see if i can do this..

using PRExportImportWidget

trying this:

kernel := PRKernel.
kernel .
export := PRExportImportWidget new.
export export: kernel.

not working.. but am i on the right track?

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Need help fixing my image

Lukas Renggli
> Came on, the guy is in a hurry, are you telling that SIXX will not handle his bunch of pages?

It might work for a bunch of pages, but certainly not something to do
regularly. Furthermore, you might need to fix the model manually
before and after the export/import, because SIXX does not handle all
objects well.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

NorbertHartl

On 03.01.2011, at 18:27, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> SIXX doesn't scale.

Why not? Where do you see the problem?

Norbert

> On 3 January 2011 18:26, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> can't you just use SIXX for that?
>> or image segments?
>>

>> On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:
>>
>>> got it..
>>>
>>> if i could just do THIS.. i could launch my site..
>>>
>>> export all my pages (PRPage allInstances) and import them into another image..
>>>
>>> that would RULE..

>>> --
>>> ----
>>> peace,
>>> sergio
>>> photographer, journalist, visionary
>>>
>>> http://www.CodingForHire.com
>>> http://www.coffee-black.com
>>> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
>>> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
>>> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

NorbertHartl

On 03.01.2011, at 20:45, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Came on, the guy is in a hurry, are you telling that SIXX will not handle his bunch of pages?
>
> It might work for a bunch of pages, but certainly not something to do
> regularly. Furthermore, you might need to fix the model manually
> before and after the export/import, because SIXX does not handle all
> objects well.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm using Sixx all the time (well, I don't have a choice because there is no ReferenceStream in gemstone). What objects are this?

Furthermore I think the were talking about ressurecting the image and for this one shot tasks Sixx can't be that big of a problem.

Norbert

Re: Need help fixing my image

Lukas Renggli
>> SIXX doesn't scale.
>>
> Why not? Where do you see the problem?

The problem is size and subsequently it takes a very long time to read
and write. Even for small sites you end up with megabytes of XML.

At the time I tried to use SIXX (admittedly this is many years ago)
then XML parser couldn't read properly such large files.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Norbert you are one of those guys that can stream objects on SIXX?
I think I've heard about that (so it can scale Gigas or whatever) a while ago.
Actually it sounds quite cool for dumping data

On Jan 3, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 03.01.2011, at 20:45, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> Came on, the guy is in a hurry, are you telling that SIXX will not handle his bunch of pages?
>>
>> It might work for a bunch of pages, but certainly not something to do
>> regularly. Furthermore, you might need to fix the model manually
>> before and after the export/import, because SIXX does not handle all
>> objects well.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? I'm using Sixx all the time (well, I don't have a choice because there is no ReferenceStream in gemstone). What objects are this?
>
> Furthermore I think the were talking about ressurecting the image and for this one shot tasks Sixx can't be that big of a problem.
>
> Norbert

Re: Need help fixing my image

Lukas Renggli
>>> Came on, the guy is in a hurry, are you telling that SIXX will not handle his bunch of pages?
>>
>> It might work for a bunch of pages, but certainly not something to do
>> regularly. Furthermore, you might need to fix the model manually
>> before and after the export/import, because SIXX does not handle all
>> objects well.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? I'm using Sixx all the time (well, I don't have a choice because there is no ReferenceStream in gemstone). What objects are this?

Code, e.g. Blocks and CompiledMethods. Nowadays the Pier model should
be free of those (that wasn't always the case) as they don't work well
with most persistency mechanisms.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Need help fixing my image

Paul DeBruicker
On 01/03/2011 02:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> okay, i tried this, but i think i was barking up the wrong tree..
>
> i am getting the following error:
>
> now
> ^ self basicNew
> ticks: (Duration
> days: SqueakEpoch
> hours: 0
> minutes: 0
> seconds: self totalSeconds
> nanoSeconds: MillisecondClockOffset milliSeconds * NanosInMillisecond) ticks
> offset: self localOffset;
> yourself
>
> where MillisecondClockOffset is causing a problem..
>
> Message Not Understood: AnObsoleteMillisecondClockOffset class>>  milliSeconds

Looks like you have a pointer to an obsolete class.

Ramon Leon posted about image maintenance here:
http://onsmalltalk.com/squeak-smalltalk-image-maintenance

I use this bit of code from his post when I have the same problem
(pointers to obsolete classes):

  SystemNavigation default obsoleteClasses isEmpty
         ifFalse: [SystemNavigation default obsoleteClasses
                 do: [:each | [PointerFinder on: each]
                         on: Error
                         do: [:error | Transcript show: error; cr]]].

Maybe you can use that in a workspace of your messed up image to delete
the pointers to the obsolete classes and that will free things up.

Re: Need help fixing my image

Johan Brichau-2

On 03 Jan 2011, at 20:55, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> SIXX doesn't scale.
>>>
>> Why not? Where do you see the problem?
>
> The problem is size and subsequently it takes a very long time to read
> and write. Even for small sites you end up with megabytes of XML.
>
> At the time I tried to use SIXX (admittedly this is many years ago)
> then XML parser couldn't read properly such large files.

Just popping in to say that I've been using SIXX to transfer 39Mb of data (size in SIXX xml format) between Pharo and Gemstone without problems (other than Gemstone's temp memory size).
I think it's definitely an option for an emergency export/import.

It's been quite some time since I've played with Pier, but wasn't there an export/import built-in?

seaside mailing list
12