Need some help to contribute

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

I have a change (attached) to submit to the inbox.

I do not know how to do this.

For some reason I have had a hard time convincing people that, really, I
do not know how to do this - and as a result I have been in the (recent)
past considered as a lazy bastard unwilling to contribute and expecting
people to do the work for me (private communication, no hard feeling,
but still not very comfortable, see what I mean E.?).

This is not the case. I am not (such) a lazy bastard. I would very much
like to submit things by myself and not bother people.

*I just do not know how to do this*. Is that clear?

So today I would like to learn. This is what I did:

I read this post by Dave:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2017-October/195561.html

Seems comprehensive enough. Thanks Dave.

So I took a fresh 5.3 image and updated it. I filed in my code.

Then I did everything Dave says up to stage 3 B), where *I do not see
the trunk repository* on the right. I do see the inbox repository
though, the one I added at stage 2 A) to F).

So I select the inbox repository at right.

At this point, if I select on the left side the Kernel package and click
on the "Changes" button, I get an error: 'Missing smapshot Kernel-mt.119'

And if I add the package Kernel-Numbers and select this one, and click
on the "Changes" button I see a long list of methods. Obviously not the
expected diff.

Fortunately at this point, in 3 D) Dave says "If something looks wrong,
stop and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list." That I can do.

Tips?

Stef

Float-closeTo.st (694 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Need some help to contribute

Stéphane Rollandin
Ok, I did it. Needed a 6.0alpha image...

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Need some help to contribute

K K Subbu
On 08/03/20 6:27 PM, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> For some reason I have had a hard time convincing people that, really, I
> do not know how to do this - and as a result I have been in the (recent)
> past considered as a lazy bastard unwilling to contribute and expecting
> people to do the work for me (private communication, no hard feeling,
> but still not very comfortable, see what I mean E.?).
>
> This is not the case. I am not (such) a lazy bastard. I would very much
> like to submit things by myself and not bother people

I can relate to this feeling :-). It took me a long time to take the
plunge. I finally took the plunge after watching Bert's video [1]
multiple times. My first fix submission was so easy and it turned out
that my fears were just that - fears.

The steps are now clearly laid out in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3279

It is also one of the topics in Squeak->Help->Squeak Wiki.  Perhaps it
should be promoted alongside Terse Guide.

[1] https://youtu.be/2QKmfI4taGo

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Need some help to contribute

Stéphane Rollandin
> The steps are now clearly laid out in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3279

Yes, although there are always missing details.

For example, today, what I have been missing is that the image to use is
the trunk one - updating the latest release is not good.

And it did not help that the 'Current trunk image' link in
https://squeak.org/downloads/ does not point to 6.0alpha, but to 5.3beta.

Re: Need some help to contribute

Chris Muller-3
For example, today, what I have been missing is that the image to use is
the trunk one - updating the latest release is not good.

If it's a relatively small change like a fix, it's absolutely fine to contribute to the Inbox straight from a recent release image like 5.3 or even 5.2, if that suits you.  The tools are able to diff just your changes relative to whatever ancestor you made your change to.  The only impact relative to doing it from trunk is that it increases the chance of a method change conflict that must be resolved.  But a conflict can happen with any contribution, no matter how young, so integrators are already ready and able to deal with them and, in 99% of cases, able to easily resolve it with the latest version of the method.

 - Chris

And it did not help that the 'Current trunk image' link in
https://squeak.org/downloads/ does not point to 6.0alpha, but to 5.3beta.

Re: Need some help to contribute

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 02:24:59PM +0100, St??phane Rollandin wrote:
> Ok, I did it. Needed a 6.0alpha image...
>
> Thanks, Dave.
>
> Stef

Yay! And I see that Nicolas has already moved your update to trunk :-)

Dave

Re: Need some help to contribute

Stéphane Rollandin
> If it's a relatively small change like a fix, it's absolutely fine to
> contribute to the Inbox straight from a recent release image like 5.3 or
> even 5.2, if that suits you.

It's nice to know that it is possible, but this is what I tried and
where I failed, as I explained in details in my previous post - I could
not get a diff with only my changed method in it. I guess I used the
wrong repository, by I'm still mostly clueless.

Re: Need some help to contribute

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Stef,

> On Mar 8, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> If it's a relatively small change like a fix, it's absolutely fine to contribute to the Inbox straight from a recent release image like 5.3 or even 5.2, if that suits you.
>
> It's nice to know that it is possible, but this is what I tried and where I failed, as I explained in details in my previous post - I could not get a diff with only my changed method in it. I guess I used the wrong repository, by I'm still mostly clueless.

Any time you feel like trying this I would be happy to meet on discord/FaceTime etc and guide you.  It’s intimidating at first but much easier with a little experience.  Anyway, I want you in the community because as you rightly said in your email, you are an extremely skilled developer and have a lot of expertise we can all benefit from.