Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: [Pharo-project] Need help with 1.3 Full Image

Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: [Pharo-project] Need help with 1.3 Full Image

Mariano Martinez Peck

I try to solve some issue in the issues tracker from time to time, but
it's often difficult
when outside your expertise. So doing it with others might definitively help.

Fix of the day contest has the advantage of being compatible with every people timezone / agenda.

We can also synchronize CODTC and FOTDC in order to comment classes related to the fix.

Now we just need someone to lead the FOTDC. I already do COTDC so is there a good soul ?

well, I've started by renaming the thread and attaching Pharo-users.

Laurent, maybe you should clarify what "lead"  exactly means.

Cheers

Mariano

Laurent

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-project] Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: Need help with 1.3 Full Image

laurent laffont
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I try to solve some issue in the issues tracker from time to time, but
it's often difficult
when outside your expertise. So doing it with others might definitively help.

Fix of the day contest has the advantage of being compatible with every people timezone / agenda.

We can also synchronize CODTC and FOTDC in order to comment classes related to the fix.

Now we just need someone to lead the FOTDC. I already do COTDC so is there a good soul ?

well, I've started by renaming the thread and attaching Pharo-users.

Laurent, maybe you should clarify what "lead"  exactly means.

Everyday:
- choose an issue for the contest
- write it to the mailing list
- push to ask help
- contest is done when a slice is put in inbox

Indeed, much like COTDC is.

Laurent.

Cheers

Mariano

Laurent

Regards,

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I try to solve some issue in the issues tracker from time to time, but
it's often difficult
when outside your expertise. So doing it with others might definitively help.

Fix of the day contest has the advantage of being compatible with every people timezone / agenda.

We can also synchronize CODTC and FOTDC in order to comment classes related to the fix.

Now we just need someone to lead the FOTDC. I already do COTDC so is there a good soul ?

well, I've started by renaming the thread and attaching Pharo-users.

Laurent, maybe you should clarify what "lead"  exactly means.

Everyday:
- choose an issue for the contest
- write it to the mailing list
- push to ask help
- contest is done when a slice is put in inbox

hehehehe I thought you were a bot/cron/robot ;)

Indeed, much like COTDC is.

Laurent.

Cheers

Mariano

Laurent

Regards,

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oh no. My first joy is to choose the class to comment :)

Laurent.

Indeed, much like COTDC is.

Laurent.

Cheers

Mariano

Laurent

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-project] Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: Need help with 1.3 Full Image

patmaddox
On May 14, 2011, at 9:53 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

[...]

That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.

I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.

Pat

Re: [Pharo-project] Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: Need help with 1.3 Full Image

Stéphane Ducasse
In general start with the more recent fix.

What have to be done:
        - verify that the issue is still an issue
        - check that we know how to reproduce it.
        - possibly write a test to cover the case.
        - start to see ....

stef

>> I try to solve some issue in the issues tracker from time to time, but
>> it's often difficult
>> when outside your expertise. So doing it with others might definitively help.
>>

>> Fix of the day contest has the advantage of being compatible with every people timezone / agenda.
>>
>> We can also synchronize CODTC and FOTDC in order to comment classes related to the fix.
>>
>> Now we just need someone to lead the FOTDC. I already do COTDC so is there a good soul ?
>>

>> well, I've started by renaming the thread and attaching Pharo-users.
>>
>> Laurent, maybe you should clarify what "lead"  exactly means.
>>

>> Everyday:
>> - choose an issue for the contest
>> - write it to the mailing list
>> - push to ask help
>> - contest is done when a slice is put in inbox
>>

>> Indeed, much like COTDC is.
>>
>> Laurent.
>
> That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.
>
> I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.
>
> Pat

Re: [Pharo-project] Need someone to lead Fix of the Day contest [WAS] Re: Need help with 1.3 Full Image

Marcus Denker-4

On May 14, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.
>
> I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.

So the best thing is to just do exactly that: Write that it's unclear what needs to be done.

Every Issue on the tracker should have a clear "next action needed to be done to move this forward" defined. I not, than the next action is to define the next action.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can also check those tagged as milestone 1.3 which means that they "should" be more or less new.
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D1.3+&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Summary+Milestone+Difficulty&cells=tiles

cheers

On May 14, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On May 14, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>>
>> That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.
>>
>> I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.
>>
> So the best thing is to just do exactly that: Write that it's unclear what needs to be done.
>
> Every Issue on the tracker should have a clear "next action needed to be done to move this forward" defined. I not, than the next action is to define the next action.

So what's the deal with these 261 Accepted tickets? Have they been fixed and committed to Pharo? or have they simply been acknowledged as a problem?

When viewing open tickets, here are the statuses I see:
* Accepted
* Comment
* FixProposed
* FixedWaitingToBePharoed
* New
* Started

I don't really know how to interpret all of them.

Anyway, I guess I'll just go down the list for stuff that looks interesting, and ask what needs to be done.

Pat

cheers

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
On May 14, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On May 14, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>>
>> That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.
>>
>> I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.
>>
> So the best thing is to just do exactly that: Write that it's unclear what needs to be done.
>
> Every Issue on the tracker should have a clear "next action needed to be done to move this forward" defined. I not, than the next action is to define the next action.

So what's the deal with these 261 Accepted tickets? Have they been fixed and committed to Pharo? or have they simply been acknowledged as a problem?

When viewing open tickets, here are the statuses I see:
* Accepted
* Comment
* FixProposed
* FixedWaitingToBePharoed
* New
* Started

I don't really know how to interpret all of them.

See screenshot.

Laurent.

statuses.png (42K) Download Attachment

On May 15, 2011, at 8:07 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Another idea is to have the issues list sorted by id desc (most recent on top) instead of older ones on top.

yes but no idea how to do that.

On May 15, 2011, at 12:17 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On May 14, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On May 14, 2011, at 8:54 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>>>
>>> That would be awesome! I was looking at the bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list#) yesterday to see if there were things that I could help with...but even when looking at "open" issues, many of them are several years old, and have a state of "Accepted." So as someone not actively involved in pharo development, I have absolutely no clue what actually needs to be fixed.
>>>
>>> I'd like to help, the bug tracker doesn't give me much guidance (or at least I'd benefit from an explanation of how it's structured), and so guidance from someone who's active would be really helpful.
>>>
>> So the best thing is to just do exactly that: Write that it's unclear what needs to be done.
>>
>> Every Issue on the tracker should have a clear "next action needed to be done to move this forward" defined. I not, than the next action is to define the next action.
>
> So what's the deal with these 261 Accepted tickets? Have they been fixed and committed to Pharo?

No. Everything not shown has been dealt with. (3792 Issues to date).

All the ones shown (435) require action. Some of that action might "this has already been fixed" "this is not a good idea"...

> or have they simply been acknowledged as a problem?

The states "new" and "accepted" are not really well used right now... one problem is thart issues created by developers are automatically "Accepted",
so it's not much of a guidance.

> When viewing open tickets, here are the statuses I see:
> * Accepted
> * Comment
> * FixProposed
> * FixedWaitingToBePharoed
> * New
> * Started

We should change that... maybe we should have a more "next action" based system.

"NextActionNeeded"
"SourceNeeded"
"CodeReviewNeeded"

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

[...]