Nested Configurations

Denis Kudriashov
Hello

Can I use configurations inner my configurations to set dependencies between packages.

For example, my application depends on XmlParser. In ConfigurationOfMyApp I need set "requires: 'XmlParser'".
But I load XmlParser to my image by ConfigurationOfXmlParser. And I dont want inspect ConfigurationOfXmlParser to see what packages I need load for XmlParser.
 Can I refer to ConfigurationOfXmlParser in ConfigurationOfMyApp?

Re: Nested Configurations

Dale Henrichs
Denis Kudriashov wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can I use configurations inner my configurations to set dependencies between packages.
>
> For example, my application depends on XmlParser. In ConfigurationOfMyApp I need set "requires: 'XmlParser'".
> But I load XmlParser to my image by ConfigurationOfXmlParser. And I dont want inspect ConfigurationOfXmlParser to see what packages I need load for XmlParser.
>  Can I refer to ConfigurationOfXmlParser in ConfigurationOfMyApp?

Denis,

You can refer to the XML config with the following statement in your
baseline method define the project reference and the dependencies:

   spec
     project: 'XML Parser' with: [
       spec
         className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
         loads: #('Core');
         repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].
   spec package: 'myPackage' with: [
     spec requires: #('XML Parser').

Then in your version method specify the particular version of the XML
Parser that you want to use:

   spec project: 'XML Parser' with: '1.0'.

Dale

Re: Nested Configurations

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Dale,

I tried your tutorial some times ago. This was not featured. Maybe this is something useful to have...

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 27 Jul 2010, at 21:44, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>> Hello
>> Can I use configurations inner my configurations to set dependencies between packages.
>> For example, my application depends on XmlParser. In ConfigurationOfMyApp I need set "requires: 'XmlParser'".
>> But I load XmlParser to my image by ConfigurationOfXmlParser. And I dont want inspect ConfigurationOfXmlParser to see what packages I need load for XmlParser.
>> Can I refer to ConfigurationOfXmlParser in ConfigurationOfMyApp?
> Denis,
>
> You can refer to the XML config with the following statement in your baseline method define the project reference and the dependencies:

>  spec
>    project: 'XML Parser' with: [
>      spec
>        className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
>        loads: #('Core');
>        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].
>  spec package: 'myPackage' with: [
>    spec requires: #('XML Parser').
>
> Then in your version method specify the particular version of the XML Parser that you want to use:

>  spec project: 'XML Parser' with: '1.0'.
>
> Dale

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Nested Configurations

Dale Henrichs
Good point... I've created it a critical tutorial task for it....

Dale

Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> I tried your tutorial some times ago. This was not featured. Maybe this is something useful to have...
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 27 Jul 2010, at 21:44, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> Can I use configurations inner my configurations to set dependencies between packages.
>>> For example, my application depends on XmlParser. In ConfigurationOfMyApp I need set "requires: 'XmlParser'".
>>> But I load XmlParser to my image by ConfigurationOfXmlParser. And I dont want inspect ConfigurationOfXmlParser to see what packages I need load for XmlParser.
>>> Can I refer to ConfigurationOfXmlParser in ConfigurationOfMyApp?
>> Denis,
>>
>> You can refer to the XML config with the following statement in your baseline method define the project reference and the dependencies:

>>  spec
>>    project: 'XML Parser' with: [
>>      spec
>>        className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
>>        loads: #('Core');
>>        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].
>>  spec package: 'myPackage' with: [
>>    spec requires: #('XML Parser').
>>
>> Then in your version method specify the particular version of the XML Parser that you want to use:

>>  spec project: 'XML Parser' with: '1.0'.
>>
>> Dale

Re: Nested Configurations

Alexandre Bergel
> Good point... I've created it a critical tutorial task for it....

Else I forgot to say that your tutorial is very well done and quite useful.
Very good job. I should do one for Mondrian...

Alexandre

> Dale
>
> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Hi Dale,
>> I tried your tutorial some times ago. This was not featured. Maybe this is something useful to have...
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>> Denis,
>>>
>>> You can refer to the XML config with the following statement in your baseline method define the project reference and the dependencies:

>>> spec
>>>   project: 'XML Parser' with: [
>>>     spec
>>>       className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
>>>       loads: #('Core');
>>>       repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].
>>> spec package: 'myPackage' with: [
>>>   spec requires: #('XML Parser').
>>>
>>> Then in your version method specify the particular version of the XML Parser that you want to use:

>>> spec project: 'XML Parser' with: '1.0'.
>>>
>>> Dale

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Nested Configurations

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, the tutorial include Project references. It is the second class.

In addition, you may want to see the draft I attach of the Metacello chapter we wrote for PBE2

Feedback is welcome!

mariano

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point... I've created it a critical tutorial task for it....

Else I forgot to say that your tutorial is very well done and quite useful.
Very good job. I should do one for Mondrian...

Alexandre

> Dale
>
> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Hi Dale,
>> I tried your tutorial some times ago. This was not featured. Maybe this is something useful to have...
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>> Denis,
>>>
>>> You can refer to the XML config with the following statement in your baseline method define the project reference and the dependencies:

>>> spec
>>>   project: 'XML Parser' with: [
>>>     spec
>>>       className: 'ConfigurationOfXMLSupport';
>>>       loads: #('Core');
>>>       repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].
>>> spec package: 'myPackage' with: [
>>>   spec requires: #('XML Parser').
>>>
>>> Then in your version method specify the particular version of the XML Parser that you want to use:

>>> spec project: 'XML Parser' with: '1.0'.
>>>
>>> Dale

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Metacello.pdf (299K) Download Attachment