Nesting design

NorbertHartl
I'm a little bit further in understanding the structure
stuff with settings and environment.

Is there a way to have one environment rendered
inside another one. In bigger sites you have nested
layouts. As an example:

Title
-> navigation bar
   -> sub navigation bar 1
      - component 1
   -> sub navigation bar 2
      - component 2
-> about section without nav bar

To me it appears that in pier I would always have to
provide the whole layout even if only component 1 and
component 2 differ by the sub nav bars. So the environment
for component 1 would include all stuff for

Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 1

and component 2 would include all layout for

Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 2

Or is there a way to nest them properly to have every
single layout only once?

Norbert

Re: Nesting design

Tudor Girba-3
Hi Norbert,

I did not really understand your example :), but you can always
extract common parts into separate pages and then embed these pages
into the environment.

Does that answer the question?

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Feb 2009, at 22:58, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I'm a little bit further in understanding the structure
> stuff with settings and environment.
>
> Is there a way to have one environment rendered
> inside another one. In bigger sites you have nested
> layouts. As an example:
>
> Title
> -> navigation bar
>   -> sub navigation bar 1
>      - component 1
>   -> sub navigation bar 2
>      - component 2
> -> about section without nav bar
>

> To me it appears that in pier I would always have to
> provide the whole layout even if only component 1 and
> component 2 differ by the sub nav bars. So the environment
> for component 1 would include all stuff for
>
> Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 1
>
> and component 2 would include all layout for
>
> Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 2
>
> Or is there a way to nest them properly to have every
> single layout only once?
>
> Norbert

www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Nesting design

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 23:06 +0100, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> I did not really understand your example :), but you can always
> extract common parts into separate pages and then embed these pages
> into the environment.

Hmmm, took some extra time to make a clear example. Seems it
didn't work out.:)

> Does that answer the question?

Sort of. I just recognized that my problem is not that big as
it seemed before. What I tried to explain is:

If you have an environment that contains a header and a menu
component and you want to change that in a child page than you
have to provide an environment that not only contains changed
stuff but also the header and the menu again.
Clustering stuff like header seems the lessen the problem. You
need to provide all the time the complete page layout but if it
is structured well that is not much.

I hope this is a little bit clearer now.

Norbert

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Feb 2009, at 22:58, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> > I'm a little bit further in understanding the structure
> > stuff with settings and environment.
> >
> > Is there a way to have one environment rendered
> > inside another one. In bigger sites you have nested
> > layouts. As an example:
> >
> > Title
> > -> navigation bar
> >   -> sub navigation bar 1
> >      - component 1
> >   -> sub navigation bar 2
> >      - component 2
> > -> about section without nav bar
> >

> > To me it appears that in pier I would always have to
> > provide the whole layout even if only component 1 and
> > component 2 differ by the sub nav bars. So the environment
> > for component 1 would include all stuff for
> >
> > Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 1
> >
> > and component 2 would include all layout for
> >
> > Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 2
> >
> > Or is there a way to nest them properly to have every
> > single layout only once?
> >
> > Norbert

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Nesting design

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

>> I did not really understand your example :), but you can always
>> extract common parts into separate pages and then embed these pages
>> into the environment.
>>
> Hmmm, took some extra time to make a clear example. Seems it
> didn't work out.:)
>
>> Does that answer the question?
>>
> Sort of. I just recognized that my problem is not that big as
> it seemed before. What I tried to explain is:
>
> If you have an environment that contains a header and a menu
> component and you want to change that in a child page than you
> have to provide an environment that not only contains changed
> stuff but also the header and the menu again.
> Clustering stuff like header seems the lessen the problem. You
> need to provide all the time the complete page layout but if it
> is structured well that is not much.

Exactly.

However, there are some quite smart components that will make your
life much easier once you get to know them. One of them is the
Document. If you embed this one in the environment, you will get an
extra place that you will be able to edit.

For example, you can use it as a placeholder for the header, and add
the header in the Document.

Furthermore, Document can inherit from the parent page. Thus, you can
provide a "default" header in the root page and then override it only
when you want it to be different in the children.

Hmm, is what I wrote understandable? :)

Cheers,
Doru

> Norbert
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Feb 2009, at 22:58, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a little bit further in understanding the structure
>>> stuff with settings and environment.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to have one environment rendered
>>> inside another one. In bigger sites you have nested
>>> layouts. As an example:
>>>
>>> Title
>>> -> navigation bar
>>>  -> sub navigation bar 1
>>>     - component 1
>>>  -> sub navigation bar 2
>>>     - component 2
>>> -> about section without nav bar
>>>

>>> To me it appears that in pier I would always have to
>>> provide the whole layout even if only component 1 and
>>> component 2 differ by the sub nav bars. So the environment
>>> for component 1 would include all stuff for
>>>
>>> Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 1
>>>
>>> and component 2 would include all layout for
>>>
>>> Title, navigation bar and sub navigation 2
>>>
>>> Or is there a way to nest them properly to have every
>>> single layout only once?
>>>
>>> Norbert

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What we can governs what we wish."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Nesting design

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 00:04 +0100, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> I did not really understand your example :), but you can always
> >> extract common parts into separate pages and then embed these pages
> >> into the environment.
> >>
> > Hmmm, took some extra time to make a clear example. Seems it
> > didn't work out.:)
> >
> >> Does that answer the question?
> >>
> > Sort of. I just recognized that my problem is not that big as
> > it seemed before. What I tried to explain is:
> >
> > If you have an environment that contains a header and a menu
> > component and you want to change that in a child page than you
> > have to provide an environment that not only contains changed
> > stuff but also the header and the menu again.
> > Clustering stuff like header seems the lessen the problem. You
> > need to provide all the time the complete page layout but if it
> > is structured well that is not much.
>
> Exactly.
>
> However, there are some quite smart components that will make your
> life much easier once you get to know them. One of them is the
> Document. If you embed this one in the environment, you will get an
> extra place that you will be able to edit.

Thanks. That's the kind of tips I need at the moment.

> For example, you can use it as a placeholder for the header, and add
> the header in the Document.
>

> Furthermore, Document can inherit from the parent page. Thus, you can
> provide a "default" header in the root page and then override it only
> when you want it to be different in the children.

Hmmmm, sounds good and spooky at the same time. There is even more
hierarchies to build than the ones I discovered.

> Hmm, is what I wrote understandable? :)

It was for sure a good hint that points in the right direction.

Norbert