NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Alain Plantec-4
Hi all,
Since one week I have network problems:
system update is not working, Monticello can't open any http repository...
I've investigated a little bit and found that NetNameResolver always
fail when trying to resolve
www.squeaksource.com as an example:
NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
result is always nil.
I can make it work only by  setting true  to the #UseOldNetwork
NetNameResolver class variable.
I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.

I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.

Cheers
Alain

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Michael Rueger-6
Alain Plantec wrote:

> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>
> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.

Hmm, as that is a major version change in Ubuntu we may need to build a
new VM?
Anyone any ideas what changed between the two Ubuntu versions?

Michael

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alain Plantec wrote:

> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>
> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.

Hmm, as that is a major version change in Ubuntu we may need to build a
new VM?
Anyone any ideas what changed between the two Ubuntu versions?

<OFF-TOPIC>
Yes. It uses xorg 1.6 which for ATI it needs the ati driver version 9.3. But, what happens ? ATI in the 9.3 version has eliminated a lot of graphic card models. Even those not so old (perhaps an year).
Sorry for the OT but I am furious. I cannot update to 9.04 because of my fucking ATI.
</OFF-TOPIC>

Michael

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

johnmci
Bert sent me a note saying for example 'localhost' returns an IPV6
address in checking it see

::1(localhost),0(0)-inet6-stream-tcp
fe80::1%lo0(localhost),0(0)-inet6-stream-tcp
127.0.0.1(localhost),0(0)-inet4-stream-tcp

then returns the first one.
Well mmm that breaks things that think they might get an ipv4 address
back, so should it be check look for
IPV4 first as the desired value, then fallback to ipv6?

I recall on the iPhone the same issues but a bit more fun since you
have both IPV4 and IPV6 but
also since you have multiple interfaces a set of address for cellular
and a set for WiFi, and for WikiServer
it's the IPV4 wifi one you want, assuming it's not DOA  since the
interface could be trying to confirm it's alive
as you are asking for it..  (but really you've walk outside the range
of the WiFi zone).

On 5-May-09, at 1:42 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Hi all,
> Since one week I have network problems:
> system update is not working, Monticello can't open any http
> repository...
> I've investigated a little bit and found that NetNameResolver always
> fail when trying to resolve
> www.squeaksource.com as an example:
> NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
> result is always nil.
> I can make it work only by  setting true  to the #UseOldNetwork
> NetNameResolver class variable.
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>
> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
>
> Cheers
> Alain

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Cameron Sanders-3
This is the solution I used for the Mac. See the recent thread of:
Monticello/ftp stopped working for me.

The FTP side has another defect I mentioned... and I guess I need to
learn where to enter that detail in the bug tracking system.
-Cam

Michael Rueger a écrit :
> Alain Plantec wrote:
>
>> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>>
>> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
>
> Hmm, as that is a major version change in Ubuntu we may need to build
> a new VM?
> Anyone any ideas what changed between the two Ubuntu versions?
Damien is using the same Ubuntu version with the same Exupery VM without
any problem....
alain

> Michael

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Alain Plantec-4

NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
ok until #10259
ko, always return nil with #10262.
It seems really  that the new network implementation has a problem.
My knowledge about network is very limited.
What can I do or test in order to give useful feedbacks ?
Cheers

alain

Alain Plantec a écrit :

> Hi all,
> Since one week I have network problems:
> system update is not working, Monticello can't open any http repository...
> I've investigated a little bit and found that NetNameResolver always
> fail when trying to resolve
> www.squeaksource.com as an example:
> NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
> result is always nil.
> I can make it work only by  setting true  to the #UseOldNetwork
> NetNameResolver class variable.
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>
> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
>
> Cheers
> Alain

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

new issue and you fill it.
on http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/
Stef
On May 6, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> This is the solution I used for the Mac. See the recent thread of:
> Monticello/ftp stopped working for me.
>
> The FTP side has another defect I mentioned... and I guess I need to
> learn where to enter that detail in the bug tracking system.
> -Cam
>
> On May 5, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Since one week I have network problems:
>> system update is not working, Monticello can't open any http
>> repository...
>> I've investigated a little bit and found that NetNameResolver always
>> fail when trying to resolve
>> www.squeaksource.com as an example:
>> NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
>> result is always nil.
>> I can make it work only by  setting true  to the #UseOldNetwork
>> NetNameResolver class variable.
>> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>>
>> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Alain

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Bryce Kampjes
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 08:38 +0200, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Michael Rueger a écrit :
> > Alain Plantec wrote:
> >
> >> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
> >>
> >> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
> >
> > Hmm, as that is a major version change in Ubuntu we may need to build
> > a new VM?
> > Anyone any ideas what changed between the two Ubuntu versions?
> Damien is using the same Ubuntu version with the same Exupery VM without
> any problem....
> alain

Damien had UUID problems which he's worked around by deleting that
plugin. I plan to install Ubuntu 9.04 in VirtualBox to investigate these
problems as there seems to be a few specific to Ubuntu 9.04.

Bryce

Bryce Kampjes a écrit :

> On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 08:38 +0200, Alain Plantec wrote:
>
>> Michael Rueger a écrit :

>>> Hmm, as that is a major version change in Ubuntu we may need to build
>>> a new VM?
>>> Anyone any ideas what changed between the two Ubuntu versions?
>>>
>> Damien is using the same Ubuntu version with the same Exupery VM without
>> any problem....
>> alain
>>

> Damien had UUID problems which he's worked around by deleting that
> plugin. I plan to install Ubuntu 9.04 in VirtualBox to investigate these
> problems as there seems to be a few specific to Ubuntu 9.04.

Hi Bryce,
I've also the same UUID problem as Damien.
This problem makes the vm crash. So I think it is more a VM problem.
The NetNameResolver problem is another one and seems
to be related to the new network implementation.
As what Cameron suggested,  'Monticello/ftp stopped working for me'
thread is strongly related to my NetNameResolver problem.
and  the workaround is to make
NetNameResolver class >> useOldNetwork simply return true.
I will open an issue for that problem soon.
Alain

Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> new issue and you fill it.
> on http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/
> Stef

done
alain

> On May 6, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>

>> This is the solution I used for the Mac. See the recent thread of:
>> Monticello/ftp stopped working for me.
>>
>> The FTP side has another defect I mentioned... and I guess I need to
>> learn where to enter that detail in the bug tracking system.
>> -Cam
>>
>> On May 5, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> Since one week I have network problems:
>>> system update is not working, Monticello can't open any http
>>> repository...
>>> I've investigated a little bit and found that NetNameResolver always
>>> fail when trying to resolve
>>> www.squeaksource.com as an example:
>>> NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.squeaksource.com'
>>> result is always nil.
>>> I can make it work only by  setting true  to the #UseOldNetwork
>>> NetNameResolver class variable.
>>> I'm on Ubuntu 9.04, I'm using Exupery VM 0.15.1.
>>>
>>> I do not have any problem on a VirtualBox/Ubuntu 8.10, same VM.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Alain

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Andrey Larionov
Any progress or workaround? Still cannot use network from image.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:22, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> new issue and you fill it.
>> on http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/
>> Stef
>>
> done
> alain
>> On May 6, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>>

>>> This is the solution I used for the Mac. See the recent thread of:
>>> Monticello/ftp stopped working for me.
>>>
>>> The FTP side has another defect I mentioned... and I guess I need to
>>> learn where to enter that detail in the bug tracking system.
>>> -Cam

Re: NetNameResolver problem on Linux Ubuntu 9.04

Cameron Sanders-3
Perhaps there has been progress towards the solution, but the work-
around on a Mac is to change NetNameResolver's class method
useOldNetwork to simply return true.

Good luck,
cam