NetNameResolver

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I noted some problems with NetNameResolver, and found the following:

http://n2.nabble.com/NetNameResolver-problem-on-Linux-Ubuntu-9.04-td2805740.html

However, there are problems on Windows too - in fact, I suspect the following would be a defect on any platform: #localHostName uses #primHostNameSize (ipv6 specific, right??) "unprotected."  Looking at the other methods, it should check #useOldNetwork, though I am confused about how it should act based on the result.  Any suggestions?

I have also managed to create (aka steal from 3.9) a working #nameForAddress:timeout: method, which IIRC, was a disaster the last time I tried it on Pharo.  I was running it on win2k3, and should try it on Ubuntu to see if that was the source of the trouble.

Bill

Re: NetNameResolver

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I noted some problems with NetNameResolver, and found the following:
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/NetNameResolver-problem-on-Linux-Ubuntu-9.04-td2805740.html
>
> However, there are problems on Windows too - in fact, I suspect the following would be a defect on any platform: #localHostName uses #primHostNameSize (ipv6 specific, right??) "unprotected."  Looking at the other methods, it should check #useOldNetwork, though I am confused about how it should act based on the result.  Any suggestions?

I confirm. I also have a problem with NetNameResolver on Windows.

NetNameResolver localHostAddress

fail in #primHostNameSize.

Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: NetNameResolver

Damien Cassou
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Damien Cassou<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> However, there are problems on Windows too - in fact, I suspect the following would be a defect on any platform: #localHostName uses #primHostNameSize (ipv6 specific, right??) "unprotected."  Looking at the other methods, it should check #useOldNetwork, though I am confused about how it should act based on the result.  Any suggestions?
>
> I confirm. I also have a problem with NetNameResolver on Windows.
>
> NetNameResolver localHostAddress
>
> fail in #primHostNameSize.

by [hidden email]: Network problem on windows. Primitive failed.

I suspect the real problem is IPv6 vs. 4, not an OS dependence.
#initializeNetwork
uses #primHostName size as a sentinel for the new network.  The code
suggests to me
that it is expected to fail at times, and so should never be called
"unprotected" as
it is in #localHostName.  We probably do NOT want to put #on:do:
around ever send,
but instead use #useOldNetwork to write code that will not blow up on
IPv4.  That's
*if* I have guessed correctly about the true nature of the defect.
Anyone?  -- Bill