Netstat -l

Chris Cunnington-5
Hi All,

I have an iBook. It runs Fedora Core 5. I install Squeak and Seaside, so it
listens automatically on port 8080. I can see this when I type "netstat -l |
grep webcache" Webcache is what the firewall gui app insists on calling port
8080. I can walk across the street to the University of Toronto library and
type in http://(DHCP generated IP here):8080/seaside/config and get the
login panel that takes me to my config page, and then to Scriptaculous.

I have a Red Hat Enterprise Server. I start Squeak "squeak -vm display=none
Squeak3.8[...]&" and it runs. I can see so when I type the "top" command. I
start Seaside "squeak -vm display=none Seaside2.6.image&", and again "top"
tells me it's running. I type "netstat -l | grep LISTEN", and I don't see
any port 8080. If I cross the street to the library and enter http://[my
static IP]:8080/seaside/config, then nothing happens.

It's odd what I can do with an iBook, I cannot do with an actual RHES.
Seaside is not listening on port 8080, for some reason.

To troubleshoot this problem I have tried opening the permissions for the
changes files for both Seaside and Squeak. I've tried the "-headless" flag
instead of "-vm display=none" (though I understand from the Squeak man page,
that I'm not supposed to do that because it's deprecated.) The RHES people
providing support are of the opinion that the problem is with the
application, not the RHES. Since Seaside is not listening on port 8080, I
believe them.

I've considered learning how to add a startup script saying WAKom
startOn:8080, but that shouldn't be required if I've used Seaside once on
localhost to see webpages. Persistence means it will start in the state it
was left.

How do I get Seaside in a server to listen on port 8080?

Chris Cunnington
Toronto

Re: Netstat -l

Dmitry Dorofeev
Hi,

I run squeak on various Linuxes and *BSD with this command line:

squeak -nodisplay -nosound -notimer -memory 256m headless.image

Usually I prepare image starting WAKom, preconfiguring my seaside app in a normal
way, i.e. interactively with mouse :-) then I save an image and changes file and ftp them both
to remote host.

The problems you may have:
1. No readable Squeak Sources file. You should find a settings to disable warnings on the subject
in your squeak image. Otherwise it is a popup question in your image which must be answered
before it load itself and start services. In headless image no way to answer it :-(
Settings are saved in a separate file, named my.prefs. You need to move it as well.

2. Port(s) is already taken by other apps on the host.

-Dmitry.

Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an iBook. It runs Fedora Core 5. I install Squeak and Seaside, so it
> listens automatically on port 8080. I can see this when I type "netstat -l |
> grep webcache" Webcache is what the firewall gui app insists on calling port
> 8080. I can walk across the street to the University of Toronto library and
> type in http://(DHCP generated IP here):8080/seaside/config and get the
> login panel that takes me to my config page, and then to Scriptaculous.
>
> I have a Red Hat Enterprise Server. I start Squeak "squeak -vm display=none
> Squeak3.8[...]&" and it runs. I can see so when I type the "top" command. I
> start Seaside "squeak -vm display=none Seaside2.6.image&", and again "top"
> tells me it's running. I type "netstat -l | grep LISTEN", and I don't see
> any port 8080. If I cross the street to the library and enter http://[my
> static IP]:8080/seaside/config, then nothing happens.
>
> It's odd what I can do with an iBook, I cannot do with an actual RHES.
> Seaside is not listening on port 8080, for some reason.
>
> To troubleshoot this problem I have tried opening the permissions for the
> changes files for both Seaside and Squeak. I've tried the "-headless" flag
> instead of "-vm display=none" (though I understand from the Squeak man page,
> that I'm not supposed to do that because it's deprecated.) The RHES people
> providing support are of the opinion that the problem is with the
> application, not the RHES. Since Seaside is not listening on port 8080, I
> believe them.
>
> I've considered learning how to add a startup script saying WAKom
> startOn:8080, but that shouldn't be required if I've used Seaside once on
> localhost to see webpages. Persistence means it will start in the state it
> was left.
>
> How do I get Seaside in a server to listen on port 8080?
>
> Chris Cunnington
> Toronto

Re: Netstat -l

Milan Zimmermann-2
Chris,

I am thinking your problem might be what netstat is reporting. I have here, a
running seaside appliaction on port 9090. I can connect to:

http://squeakers.ca:9090/seaside/kodiak

and yet, if I do, on the server where it's running,

netstat -a | grep 9090
netstat -l | grep 9090

it shows nothing. Not immediately sure how to make netstat show the 9090 port

Milan

On 2006 September 5 11:27, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an iBook. It runs Fedora Core 5. I install Squeak and Seaside, so it
> listens automatically on port 8080. I can see this when I type "netstat -l
> | grep webcache" Webcache is what the firewall gui app insists on calling
> port 8080. I can walk across the street to the University of Toronto
> library and type in http://(DHCP generated IP here):8080/seaside/config and
> get the login panel that takes me to my config page, and then to
> Scriptaculous.
>
> I have a Red Hat Enterprise Server. I start Squeak "squeak -vm display=none
> Squeak3.8[...]&" and it runs. I can see so when I type the "top" command. I
> start Seaside "squeak -vm display=none Seaside2.6.image&", and again "top"
> tells me it's running. I type "netstat -l | grep LISTEN", and I don't see
> any port 8080. If I cross the street to the library and enter http://[my
> static IP]:8080/seaside/config, then nothing happens.
>
> It's odd what I can do with an iBook, I cannot do with an actual RHES.
> Seaside is not listening on port 8080, for some reason.
>
> To troubleshoot this problem I have tried opening the permissions for the
> changes files for both Seaside and Squeak. I've tried the "-headless" flag
> instead of "-vm display=none" (though I understand from the Squeak man
> page, that I'm not supposed to do that because it's deprecated.) The RHES
> people providing support are of the opinion that the problem is with the
> application, not the RHES. Since Seaside is not listening on port 8080, I
> believe them.
>
> I've considered learning how to add a startup script saying WAKom
> startOn:8080, but that shouldn't be required if I've used Seaside once on
> localhost to see webpages. Persistence means it will start in the state it
> was left.
>
> How do I get Seaside in a server to listen on port 8080?
>
> Chris Cunnington
> Toronto

Re: Netstat -l

Milan Zimmermann-2
Chris,

just a quick followup on netstat - try:

netstat -a --numeric-port | less

that does show the 9090 for me, instead of *.*

Milan

On 2006 September 5 11:27, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an iBook. It runs Fedora Core 5. I install Squeak and Seaside, so it
> listens automatically on port 8080. I can see this when I type "netstat -l
> | grep webcache" Webcache is what the firewall gui app insists on calling
> port 8080. I can walk across the street to the University of Toronto
> library and type in http://(DHCP generated IP here):8080/seaside/config and
> get the login panel that takes me to my config page, and then to
> Scriptaculous.
>
> I have a Red Hat Enterprise Server. I start Squeak "squeak -vm display=none
> Squeak3.8[...]&" and it runs. I can see so when I type the "top" command. I
> start Seaside "squeak -vm display=none Seaside2.6.image&", and again "top"
> tells me it's running. I type "netstat -l | grep LISTEN", and I don't see
> any port 8080. If I cross the street to the library and enter http://[my
> static IP]:8080/seaside/config, then nothing happens.
>
> It's odd what I can do with an iBook, I cannot do with an actual RHES.
> Seaside is not listening on port 8080, for some reason.
>
> To troubleshoot this problem I have tried opening the permissions for the
> changes files for both Seaside and Squeak. I've tried the "-headless" flag
> instead of "-vm display=none" (though I understand from the Squeak man
> page, that I'm not supposed to do that because it's deprecated.) The RHES
> people providing support are of the opinion that the problem is with the
> application, not the RHES. Since Seaside is not listening on port 8080, I
> believe them.
>
> I've considered learning how to add a startup script saying WAKom
> startOn:8080, but that shouldn't be required if I've used Seaside once on
> localhost to see webpages. Persistence means it will start in the state it
> was left.
>
> How do I get Seaside in a server to listen on port 8080?
>
> Chris Cunnington
> Toronto

Re: Netstat -l

Chris Cunnington-5
> just a quick followup on netstat - try:
>
> netstat -a --numeric-port | less
>
> that does show the 9090 for me, instead of *.*

Thanks Milan! That makes it clearer. Using that process is the first time
I've seen the port 80 number appear instead of http. These flags work
better, I think.

I like your Kodiak website a lot. I went to look at it a while ago, but I
think I caught it when you were making some adjustments, because I couldn't
get it to come up. That was a while ago, though.

Chris

Re: Netstat -l

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:21:03PM -0400, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> just a quick followup on netstat - try:
>
> netstat -a --numeric-port | less
>
> that does show the 9090 for me, instead of *.*

And you can always check to see if a web server is listening on port 8000
with telnet:

$ telnet localhost 8000
<type something here followed by CR>

If the telnet connection is not refused, then someone is listening
on the port. If you type some junk and get some html back, you are
talking to a web server.

Dave

Re: Netstat -l

Chris Cunnington-5

> And you can always check to see if a web server is listening on port 8000
> with telnet:
>
> $ telnet localhost 8000
> <type something here followed by CR>
>
> If the telnet connection is not refused, then someone is listening
> on the port. If you type some junk and get some html back, you are
> talking to a web server.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave!

Chris