Network cleanup?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm still having trouble with DNS on Ubuntu, and it seems to be IPv6 related.  However, it gets very ugly to try to figure out what does and does not (or is that should and should not?) depend on the #useOldNetwork test.  Would there be any objections to a split of NetNameResolver to have have new and old subclasses, with the correct class being chosen (or sub-instance created) on initialization?

I was able to get around the troubles today by noting that (for now) I have trouble iff I am on a Linux local host, but that trick will come to an abrupt end soon.

Bill

Re: Network cleanup?

Stéphane Ducasse
would be good to fix that network problem.
What is the status?
Is it related to the vm or not?

Stef

On Sep 13, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I'm still having trouble with DNS on Ubuntu, and it seems to be IPv6
> related.  However, it gets very ugly to try to figure out what does
> and does not (or is that should and should not?) depend on the
> #useOldNetwork test.  Would there be any objections to a split of
> NetNameResolver to have have new and old subclasses, with the
> correct class being chosen (or sub-instance created) on
> initialization?
>
> I was able to get around the troubles today by noting that (for now)
> I have trouble iff I am on a Linux local host, but that trick will
> come to an abrupt end soon.
>
> Bill

Re: Network cleanup?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I wish I could answer that.  I think some of the reports were false due to forgotten #initializeNetwork; that should not be happening to me now (my session manager should be doing it on startup), and I've tested with explicit initialization anyway.  The name size primitive blows up, and since that is used as the sentinel for needing the old network, calling it with the old network in use (as happens) seems wrong.

My thought is to herd all of the new and old code into separate classes so we (maybe just I) can keep it straight enough to figure out what is wrong.  I just finished some exercise during which I realized that there is no reason to touch NetNameResolver; we can create something separate to replace it, and even façade same from NetNameResolver for legacy code.  Since the current code is broken, a complete façade will be impossible, but the most common entry points could be provided.

What do you think?

Bill