Network discovery

Karl Ramberg
Hi
I have been testing network discovery by [:masashi | ^umezawa].
Package is http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/Discovery/.

It seems to work in the limited testing I have done,

I downloaded server and client images from
http://swikis.ddo.jp/SuperSwiki2/19 and when I opened the port for
Superswiki2 in my firewall the client image had no trubble finding the
server.

Some integration will be needed for other tools to work with Discovery
it seems, chat badge etc seems not to work.

Have others tested Discovery ?

Karl

Re: Network discovery

Bert Freudenberg

On 21.10.2012, at 03:54, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I have been testing network discovery by [:masashi | ^umezawa].
> Package is http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/Discovery/.
>
> It seems to work in the limited testing I have done,
>
> I downloaded server and client images from
> http://swikis.ddo.jp/SuperSwiki2/19 and when I opened the port for
> Superswiki2 in my firewall the client image had no trubble finding the
> server.
>
> Some integration will be needed for other tools to work with Discovery
> it seems, chat badge etc seems not to work.
>

> Have others tested Discovery ?

I have not tested it, but you might want to try loading it into our Etoys image. Using the dependency browser 'Discovery' appears to depend on all of these packages: #( 'ApplicationBase' 'DynamicBindings' 'TimerDaemon' 'KomServices' 'Rbt' 'OSProcess' ). Inspecting the code it looks like we could get rid of OSProcess which is only used to discover the local IP address. This still leaves on the order of 3000 lines of code which is a bit much for my taste (I'd suspect the actual code needed would be more on the order 300 lines), but might still be worth it if we get a robust local discovery. Worth a try :)

- Bert -

Re: Network discovery

Karl Ramberg
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21.10.2012, at 03:54, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have been testing network discovery by [:masashi | ^umezawa].
>> Package is http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/Discovery/.
>>
>> It seems to work in the limited testing I have done,
>>
>> I downloaded server and client images from
>> http://swikis.ddo.jp/SuperSwiki2/19 and when I opened the port for
>> Superswiki2 in my firewall the client image had no trubble finding the
>> server.
>>
>> Some integration will be needed for other tools to work with Discovery
>> it seems, chat badge etc seems not to work.
>>

>> Have others tested Discovery ?
>

> I have not tested it, but you might want to try loading it into our Etoys image. Using the dependency browser 'Discovery' appears to depend on all of these packages: #( 'ApplicationBase' 'DynamicBindings' 'TimerDaemon' 'KomServices' 'Rbt' 'OSProcess' ). Inspecting the code it looks like we could get rid of OSProcess which is only used to discover the local IP address. This still leaves on the order of 3000 lines of code which is a bit much for my taste (I'd suspect the actual code needed would be more on the order 300 lines), but might still be worth it if we get a robust local discovery. Worth a try :)

It is a big chunk of code and I'm not at all familiar with it. But it
seems to work for discovering a local SuperSwiki2 server.

I'm not sure yet how to add other services like a Badge.

BTW the SuperSwiki2 image seems pretty nice for setting a local
repository. It takes minimal effort to set up.

Karl

Re: Network discovery

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.10.2012, at 02:28, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 21.10.2012, at 03:54, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I have been testing network discovery by [:masashi | ^umezawa].
>>> Package is http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/Discovery/.
>>>
>>> It seems to work in the limited testing I have done,
>>>
>>> I downloaded server and client images from
>>> http://swikis.ddo.jp/SuperSwiki2/19 and when I opened the port for
>>> Superswiki2 in my firewall the client image had no trubble finding the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Some integration will be needed for other tools to work with Discovery
>>> it seems, chat badge etc seems not to work.
>>>

>>> Have others tested Discovery ?
>>

>> I have not tested it, but you might want to try loading it into our Etoys image. Using the dependency browser 'Discovery' appears to depend on all of these packages: #( 'ApplicationBase' 'DynamicBindings' 'TimerDaemon' 'KomServices' 'Rbt' 'OSProcess' ). Inspecting the code it looks like we could get rid of OSProcess which is only used to discover the local IP address. This still leaves on the order of 3000 lines of code which is a bit much for my taste (I'd suspect the actual code needed would be more on the order 300 lines), but might still be worth it if we get a robust local discovery. Worth a try :)
>>

> It is a big chunk of code and I'm not at all familiar with it. But it
> seems to work for discovering a local SuperSwiki2 server.

You mean you tried the code in a current Etoys image? And it found the server without a prefs/knownEntries file?

> I'm not sure yet how to add other services like a Badge.

All that's needed is to discover the IP address and name of other users on the local network and create a badge for them (just like SugarBuddy>>makeBadge).

- Bert -

> BTW the SuperSwiki2 image seems pretty nice for setting a local
> repository. It takes minimal effort to set up.
>
> Karl

Re: Network discovery

Karl Ramberg
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22.10.2012, at 02:28, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have not tested it, but you might want to try loading it into our Etoys image. Using the dependency browser 'Discovery' appears to depend on all of these packages: #( 'ApplicationBase' 'DynamicBindings' 'TimerDaemon' 'KomServices' 'Rbt' 'OSProcess' ). Inspecting the code it looks like we could get rid of OSProcess which is only used to discover the local IP address. This still leaves on the order of 3000 lines of code which is a bit much for my taste (I'd suspect the actual code needed would be more on the order 300 lines), but might still be worth it if we get a robust local discovery. Worth a try :)
>>>

>> It is a big chunk of code and I'm not at all familiar with it. But it
>> seems to work for discovering a local SuperSwiki2 server.
>
> You mean you tried the code in a current Etoys image? And it found the server without a prefs/knownEntries file?

I tested it now in Etoys and I get a Socket primitive failed error.
In the prebuilt image from the SuperSwiki2 site I do not have this issue.

In the socket in the SuperSwiki2 image DsLocator(Socket)
NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString  ->a
ByteArray(239 255 255 123)
self localAddress -> a ByteArray(192 168 0 13)

In Etoys image I get

NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString
->239.255.255.123(239.255.255.123),0(0)
self localAddress -> ::1(::1),0(0)

Could this be some issue with OldSocket and new Socket ?

Karl

>> I'm not sure yet how to add other services like a Badge.
>
> All that's needed is to discover the IP address and name of other users on the local network and create a badge for them (just like SugarBuddy>>makeBadge).
>
> - Bert -
>

>> BTW the SuperSwiki2 image seems pretty nice for setting a local
>> repository. It takes minimal effort to set up.
>>
>> Karl

Re: Network discovery

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.10.2012, at 06:27, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It is a big chunk of code and I'm not at all familiar with it. But it
>>> seems to work for discovering a local SuperSwiki2 server.
>>
>> You mean you tried the code in a current Etoys image? And it found the server without a prefs/knownEntries file?
>
> I tested it now in Etoys and I get a Socket primitive failed error.
> In the prebuilt image from the SuperSwiki2 site I do not have this issue.
>
> In the socket in the SuperSwiki2 image DsLocator(Socket)
> NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString  ->a
> ByteArray(239 255 255 123)
> self localAddress -> a ByteArray(192 168 0 13)
>

> In Etoys image I get
>
> NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString
> ->239.255.255.123(239.255.255.123),0(0)
> self localAddress -> ::1(::1),0(0)
>
> Could this be some issue with OldSocket and new Socket ?
>
> Karl

Not OldSocket and new Socket but old network and new network code ... You got back an IPv6 local address. There are methods to get an IPv4 address instead (can't say off the top of my head how).

- Bert -

>>> I'm not sure yet how to add other services like a Badge.
>>
>> All that's needed is to discover the IP address and name of other users on the local network and create a badge for them (just like SugarBuddy>>makeBadge).
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

>>> BTW the SuperSwiki2 image seems pretty nice for setting a local
>>> repository. It takes minimal effort to set up.
>>>
>>> Karl

Re: Network discovery

Karl Ramberg
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.10.2012, at 06:27, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You mean you tried the code in a current Etoys image? And it found the server without a prefs/knownEntries file?
>>
>> I tested it now in Etoys and I get a Socket primitive failed error.
>> In the prebuilt image from the SuperSwiki2 site I do not have this issue.
>>
>> In the socket in the SuperSwiki2 image DsLocator(Socket)
>> NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString  ->a
>> ByteArray(239 255 255 123)
>> self localAddress -> a ByteArray(192 168 0 13)
>>

>> In Etoys image I get
>>
>> NetNameResolver addressForName: self groupAddressString
>> ->239.255.255.123(239.255.255.123),0(0)
>> self localAddress -> ::1(::1),0(0)
>>
>> Could this be some issue with OldSocket and new Socket ?
>>
>> Karl
>

> Not OldSocket and new Socket but old network and new network code ... You got back an IPv6 local address. There are methods to get an IPv4 address instead (can't say off the top of my head how).
>
> - Bert -

I found a way to get the IPv4 address but it still does not work. I
can't seem to find why it does not work so I guess
it will have to wait...

Karl