Networking on images running on 64 bit OSes.

Networking on images running on 64 bit OSes.

Miguel Cobá
Is someone working on issues:

Without them fixed the in-image network doesn't work.

CPU: intel
CPU arch: x86
OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
OS arch: 32 bits
works: YES

CPU: intel
CPU arch: x86_64
OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
OS arch: 64 bits
works: NO

CPU: amd
CPU arch: x86_64
OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
OS arch: 32 bits
works: YES

CPU: amd
CPU arch: x86_64
OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
OS arch: 64 bits
works: NO

In short it doesn't work on a 64 bit OS.

I tried to see the source code for the squeak vm because it is the
primitives that are failing but I got confused and gave up.

The interesting part that I found was this:

static char   localHostName[MAXHOSTNAMELEN];
static u_long localHostAddress; /* GROSS IPv4 ASSUMPTION! */

assigned in:

/* start a new network session */

sqInt sqNetworkInit(sqInt resolverSemaIndex)
{
  if (0 != thisNetSession)
    return 0;  /* already initialised */
  gethostname(localHostName, MAXHOSTNAMELEN);
  localHostAddress= nameToAddr(localHostName);
  thisNetSession= clock() + time(0);
  if (0 == thisNetSession)
    thisNetSession= 1;  /* 0 => uninitialised */
  resolverSema= resolverSemaIndex;
  return 0;
}

by means of:

static int nameToAddr(char *hostName)
{
  struct hostent *he;

  lastError= 0; /* ditto */
  if ((he= gethostbyname(hostName)))
    return ntohl(*(long *)(he->h_addr_list[0]));
  lastError= h_errno; /* and one more ditto */
  return 0;
}

there it appears to call a system function (gethostbyname)
and to convert the result struct first entry on array h_addr_list.

Well the point is, this is for someone with more experience with the
socket plugin in squeak.

So, it is someone trying to fix this? Are there any news here?
It is a structural problem, because before this I could connect to the network in
my 64 bit OS on my x86_64 architecture without the ia32libs on debian. For these test
I installed the ia32libs package of debian in order load and start the closure vm.

Maybe Jose Luis Redrejo has a hint about how to build the vm in order to having
a full networking vm/image.

Or someone more involved with the internals of the vm.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Networking on images running on 64 bit OSes.

Miguel Cobá
El dom, 23-08-2009 a las 18:40 -0500, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
escribió:

> Is someone working on issues:

> Without them fixed the in-image network doesn't work.
>
> CPU: intel
> CPU arch: x86
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
> OS arch: 32 bits
> works: YES
>
> CPU: intel
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
> OS arch: 64 bits
> works: NO
>
> CPU: amd
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
> OS arch: 32 bits
> works: YES
>
> CPU: amd
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
> OS arch: 64 bits
> works: NO
>
> In short it doesn't work on a 64 bit OS.
>
> I tried to see the source code for the squeak vm because it is the
> primitives that are failing but I got confused and gave up.
>
> The interesting part that I found was this:
>
> static char   localHostName[MAXHOSTNAMELEN];
> static u_long localHostAddress; /* GROSS IPv4 ASSUMPTION! */
>
> assigned in:
>
> /* start a new network session */
>
> sqInt sqNetworkInit(sqInt resolverSemaIndex)
> {
>   if (0 != thisNetSession)
>     return 0;  /* already initialised */
>   gethostname(localHostName, MAXHOSTNAMELEN);
>   localHostAddress= nameToAddr(localHostName);
>   thisNetSession= clock() + time(0);
>   if (0 == thisNetSession)
>     thisNetSession= 1;  /* 0 => uninitialised */
>   resolverSema= resolverSemaIndex;
>   return 0;
> }
>
> by means of:
>
> static int nameToAddr(char *hostName)
> {
>   struct hostent *he;
>
>   lastError= 0; /* ditto */
>   if ((he= gethostbyname(hostName)))
>     return ntohl(*(long *)(he->h_addr_list[0]));
>   lastError= h_errno; /* and one more ditto */
>   return 0;
> }
>
> there it appears to call a system function (gethostbyname)
> and to convert the result struct first entry on array h_addr_list.
>
> Well the point is, this is for someone with more experience with the
> socket plugin in squeak.
>
> So, it is someone trying to fix this? Are there any news here?
> It is a structural problem, because before this I could connect to the network in
> my 64 bit OS on my x86_64 architecture without the ia32libs on debian. For these test
> I installed the ia32libs package of debian in order load and start the closure vm.
>
> Maybe Jose Luis Redrejo has a hint about how to build the vm in order to having
> a full networking vm/image.
>
> Or someone more involved with the internals of the vm.

I forgot to mention, this happens with the pharo recommended vm on:

pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip

but also with the squeak closure vm on:

Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

that gives the following messages (the last one is the important) on
trying to open a repository with monticello on my 64 bit OS.

miguel@laptop:~/Squeak-3.10-6/i686-pc-linux-gnu/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-6$ ./squeak /home/miguel/azteca/magma.image
ioLoadModule(./UUIDPlugin):
  libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
ioLoadModule(UUIDPlugin):
  UUIDPlugin: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Networking on images running on 64 bit OSes. [Fixed for me]

escribió:

> Is someone working on issues:

> Without them fixed the in-image network doesn't work.
>
> CPU: intel
> CPU arch: x86
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
> OS arch: 32 bits
> works: YES
>
> CPU: intel
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
> OS arch: 64 bits
> works: NO
>
> CPU: amd
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux i386
> OS arch: 32 bits
> works: YES
>
> CPU: amd
> CPU arch: x86_64
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux amd64
> OS arch: 64 bits
> works: NO

I forgot to say that the Debian version for all those test was Debian
GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny.

Now, this morning I updated my Debian laptop to from Lenny amd64 to
Squeeze amd64 (the testing version of Debian) and magically the problems
are gone.

I don't know what was the reason of the fix but this Squeeze version has
the following packages:

ia32-libs 20090808
libc6 2.9-23
libc6-i386 2.9-23
netbase 4.37

and the old Lenny amd64 had:

ia32-libs 2.7
libc6 2.7-18
libc6-i386 2.7-18
netbase 4.34

I don't know the specific as I didn't take care to track which update
was the one that fixed it as I was updating my entire system.
Maybe someone with ubuntu amd64 (which is based on debian testing) can
confirm that with those versions the network works on 64 bit OS.

Anyway, for me it works, I don't know if this changes the status of the
tickets mentioned.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá