Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Pierce Ng-3
Hi all,

I've written a blog post on recognizing handwritten digits using neural
networks in Pharo.

  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.02.04.neural.networks.html

I attach here two screenshots built using Roassal showing good and bad
recognition outcomes. I must say Roassal is great!

Comments welcome here or on my blog.

Pierce

nn-uci-digits-good.png (106K) Download Attachment
nn-uci-digits-bad.png (99K) Download Attachment

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Beautiful, great work, Pierce !

> On 4 Feb 2018, at 13:42, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've written a blog post on recognizing handwritten digits using neural
> networks in Pharo.
>
>  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.02.04.neural.networks.html
>
> I attach here two screenshots built using Roassal showing good and bad
> recognition outcomes. I must say Roassal is great!
>
> Comments welcome here or on my blog.
>
> Pierce
>
> <nn-uci-digits-good.png><nn-uci-digits-bad.png>

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

cedreek
Excellent indeed !

I will use it to show students ^^ and try tu improve the network.

Big Thx

Cedrick

> Le 4 févr. 2018 à 14:17, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Beautiful, great work, Pierce !
>
>> On 4 Feb 2018, at 13:42, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've written a blog post on recognizing handwritten digits using neural
>> networks in Pharo.
>>
>> http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.02.04.neural.networks.html
>>
>> I attach here two screenshots built using Roassal showing good and bad
>> recognition outcomes. I must say Roassal is great!
>>
>> Comments welcome here or on my blog.
>>
>> Pierce
>>
>> <nn-uci-digits-good.png><nn-uci-digits-bad.png>

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

francescoagati
nice,
the model can also be serialized for loading in other vm?

Hi all,

I've written a blog post on recognizing handwritten digits using neural
networks in Pharo.

  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.02.04.neural.networks.html

I attach here two screenshots built using Roassal showing good and bad
recognition outcomes. I must say Roassal is great!

Comments welcome here or on my blog.

Pierce

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks for sharing this. This is cool.
I set up a booklet Booklet-IANeurons for alex and a little book around
neural networks and your work could fit
there.

Stef

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 1:42 PM, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've written a blog post on recognizing handwritten digits using neural
> networks in Pharo.
>
>   http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2018.02.04.neural.networks.html
>
> I attach here two screenshots built using Roassal showing good and bad
> recognition outcomes. I must say Roassal is great!
>
> Comments welcome here or on my blog.
>
> Pierce

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

francescoagati
where is the book? is possible see it?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 05:59:53PM +0100, francesco agati wrote:
> the model can also be serialized for loading in other vm?

Yes. Serialized with STON on Linux 64-bit Pharo 6, materialized
and ran on Linux 32-bit Pharo 6 on another computer.

Pierce

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 11:40:12AM +0100, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Thanks for sharing this. This is cool.
> I set up a booklet Booklet-IANeurons for alex and a little book around
> neural networks and your work could fit there.

Happy to contribute to the book. The blog post content is already in Pillar.

Pierce

Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Stephane Ducasse-3
Cool! I set it up so that each time people commit it will build automatically.
Now alex did not commit anything yet but it would be great to have
something about your approach.

Here is the link https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-IA-Neurons
I can give you commit rights.

Stef

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 08:24:29PM +0100, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Here is the link https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-IA-Neurons
> I can give you commit rights.

My Github username is PierceNg. Thank you.

Pierce

Pillar Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Pierce Ng-3
On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 07:42:09PM +0800, Pierce Ng wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 08:24:29PM +0100, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> > Here is the link https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-IA-Neurons
> > I can give you commit rights.
>
> My Github username is PierceNg. Thank you.

Stef, thanks for adding me to the repo. I've plugged my blog post in as chapter
1.

On Pillar, I see that the generated PDF shows the array inspector screenshot as
an outsized image. What's the best practice on sizing images?

Anyhow, I've set up Docker with the texlive:pillar image and just did a
successful test run. I can now experiment with agility. :-)

Pierce

Re: Pillar Re: Neural Network - Handwritten Digit Recognition

Stephane Ducasse-3
you can change the size of the image using |width=60| it is expression
is given in %
I fixed it. I will read it and give you feedback.
Now I just skimmed throw it and I would
- structure the text with some sections like setup, importing,
computing, rendering, conclusions
- then I would turn the large roassal script in a tiny and beautiful class

Stef