Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

hernanmd
Hi,

Guys I have the situation you will recognize in the attached picture:
A never-ending recursive computation which generate zillions of
pre-debug windows when cmd-dot key is pressed.

Is there any setting, or any way to put a monitor to detect that
cmd-dot is creating too many windows so will pop-up just one or two?
Maybe someone researched this issue, does it makes sense?

Cheers,

Hernán

rw.png (555K) Download Attachment

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

Esteban A. Maringolo
I think the problem doesn't come from a lot of Ctrl+., but for another
unhandled exception.

I've been bitten by that from time to time, usually in the context of
a MessageNotUnderstood exception that gets recursive.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Guys I have the situation you will recognize in the attached picture:
> A never-ending recursive computation which generate zillions of
> pre-debug windows when cmd-dot key is pressed.
>
> Is there any setting, or any way to put a monitor to detect that
> cmd-dot is creating too many windows so will pop-up just one or two?
> Maybe someone researched this issue, does it makes sense?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

Tim Mackinnon
Its not quite what you are asking for, but if you right click on one of those windows, someone has helpfully added a “close all windows to right” option, which does let you rapidly get rid of them.

Tim

> On 25 Sep 2017, at 23:16, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Guys I have the situation you will recognize in the attached picture:
> A never-ending recursive computation which generate zillions of
> pre-debug windows when cmd-dot key is pressed.
>
> Is there any setting, or any way to put a monitor to detect that
> cmd-dot is creating too many windows so will pop-up just one or two?
> Maybe someone researched this issue, does it makes sense?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
> <rw.png>

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

hernanmd
Hi Tim,

Yes, I am aware of such menu item. However I would like to know if
someone is working in a more architectural solution.
Because I guess this would imply to hook message sends into the main
feedback loop.

Cheers,

Hernán

> Its not quite what you are asking for, but if you right click on one of those windows, someone has helpfully added a “close all windows to right” option, which does let you rapidly get rid of them.
>
> Tim
>
>> On 25 Sep 2017, at 23:16, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Guys I have the situation you will recognize in the attached picture:
>> A never-ending recursive computation which generate zillions of
>> pre-debug windows when cmd-dot key is pressed.
>>
>> Is there any setting, or any way to put a monitor to detect that
>> cmd-dot is creating too many windows so will pop-up just one or two?
>> Maybe someone researched this issue, does it makes sense?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>> <rw.png>

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hernan

Indeed it would be nice to have a solution for such case. Now we did
not look at it.

Stef

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:58 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Yes, I am aware of such menu item. However I would like to know if
> someone is working in a more architectural solution.
> Because I guess this would imply to hook message sends into the main
> feedback loop.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> Its not quite what you are asking for, but if you right click on one of those windows, someone has helpfully added a “close all windows to right” option, which does let you rapidly get rid of them.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>>> On 25 Sep 2017, at 23:16, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Guys I have the situation you will recognize in the attached picture:
>>> A never-ending recursive computation which generate zillions of
>>> pre-debug windows when cmd-dot key is pressed.
>>>
>>> Is there any setting, or any way to put a monitor to detect that
>>> cmd-dot is creating too many windows so will pop-up just one or two?
>>> Maybe someone researched this issue, does it makes sense?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán
>>> <rw.png>

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

Guillermo Polito
I've been bitten by this dozens of times.

The problem seems to be that a second UI process is created and thus the DNU exception is automatically resumed (indefinitely). Executing the following expression seems to remove the problem:

UIManager default spawnNewProcess

Still, I do not know the cause of it.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

hernanmd
Hi Guille

I've been bitten by this dozens of times.

The problem seems to be that a second UI process is created and thus the DNU exception is automatically resumed (indefinitely). Executing the following expression seems to remove the problem:

UIManager default spawnNewProcess

Thanks.

That expression prevents the recursive exception windows from opening? Or it is a post-mortem measure?
So it should be executed at image startup?

I will check.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Never-ending computations and cmd-dot

Guillermo Polito

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guille

I've been bitten by this dozens of times.

The problem seems to be that a second UI process is created and thus the DNU exception is automatically resumed (indefinitely). Executing the following expression seems to remove the problem:

UIManager default spawnNewProcess

Thanks.

That expression prevents the recursive exception windows from opening? Or it is a post-mortem measure?

It's for once "you have the problem". As you may notice, usually when you have an exception you'll be given a debugger. This infinite debugger bug happens really occasionally. I use that expression to fix my system, but still don't know what makes it go nuts :(

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13