New Code

Ken Treis-4
There's a new version in the repository that has no more vestiges of
#reallyAnswerTo:resolvedOn: -- or, for that matter, any of the
resolvedOn: stuff.  I did end up adding the resolution as an instance
variable of the Request; it meant that I had to make fewer changes in
FileResource (e.g. FileResource>>checkURI:, which checks to see if a
request for a directory needs a final slash).

HTTPRequest no longer has a resourcePath or a resourcePosition.

The next things I'd like to roll in from the Dolphin code are the
CacheControl, the capability to read separated header chunks (including
the re-ordering of HTTPRequest class>>readFrom), and the HTTP continue
stuff.  Any takers?  ;)

Another thing: there's a Swazoo namespace in the Swazoo-Core package.
 Janko and I think it'd be a good idea to namespace the VW code, but
there are currently no classes defined in the Swazoo namespace.  I want
to make sure that we don't just move and rename things without
consideration of the other non-VW platforms.  If we turn SwazooURI into
Swazoo.URI, for example, and then refer to it as just #URI from all of
our Swazoo code, how will that affect Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone?

Ken

Re: New Code

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Ken,

> There's a new version in the repository that has no more vestiges of

Thanks!

I have uploaded a Dolphin version with these changes merged to:
http://www.chartexplorer.com/swazoo/SwazooDC_2_1.zip

> consideration of the other non-VW platforms.  If we turn SwazooURI into
> Swazoo.URI, for example, and then refer to it as just #URI from all of
> our Swazoo code, how will that affect Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone?

The Dolphin version already has to deal with global name clashes
(Resource/HelloWorld) so this would not cause any problems for us.

Thanks,
Steve
www.dolphinharbor.org

Namespaces (was: New Code)

Janko Mivšek

> Another thing: there's a Swazoo namespace in the Swazoo-Core package.
> Janko and I think it'd be a good idea to namespace the VW code, but
> there are currently no classes defined in the Swazoo namespace.  I
> want to make sure that we don't just move and rename things without
> consideration of the other non-VW platforms.  If we turn SwazooURI
> into Swazoo.URI, for example, and then refer to it as just #URI from
> all of our Swazoo code, how will that affect Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone?

I think we need to "namespace" our classes. And in some simple way
(definitively not in VAST way).

Swazoo* is nice, but a bit long.
Web* is another possibility it's short and easy to read
HTTP* for http part, but we will be soon in clash with stuff from others

Maybe Web* for most classes and Swazoo* for some more Swazoo specific
ones (like SwazooHelloWorld)?

And we can still use Swazoo namespace in Smalltalks which support
namespaces. So in VW  for sure there won't be any clashes.

Janko

Re: Namespaces (was: New Code)

Ken Treis-4
Janko -- I was thinking of using VW5i namespaces; you and I had talked
about this a while ago on IRC, but maybe I misunderstood what you were
talking about.  What do you think of using a VW5i namespace called "Swazoo"?

Ken

Janko Mivsek wrote:

>> Another thing: there's a Swazoo namespace in the Swazoo-Core package.
>> Janko and I think it'd be a good idea to namespace the VW code, but
>> there are currently no classes defined in the Swazoo namespace.  I
>> want to make sure that we don't just move and rename things without
>> consideration of the other non-VW platforms.  If we turn SwazooURI
>> into Swazoo.URI, for example, and then refer to it as just #URI from
>> all of our Swazoo code, how will that affect Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone?
>

> I think we need to "namespace" our classes. And in some simple way
> (definitively not in VAST way).
>
> Swazoo* is nice, but a bit long.
> Web* is another possibility it's short and easy to read
> HTTP* for http part, but we will be soon in clash with stuff from others
>
> Maybe Web* for most classes and Swazoo* for some more Swazoo specific
> ones (like SwazooHelloWorld)?
>
> And we can still use Swazoo namespace in Smalltalks which support
> namespaces. So in VW  for sure there won't be any clashes.
>
> Janko

Re: New Code

Joseph Bacanskas-3
Hi Ken:

Thanks for the updates.

GemStone will not care if the VW SWAZOO code is in namespaces.  I'll just
match VW namespaces with GS namespaces, if appropriate.

Cheers!!

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 09:22 pm, Ken Treis wrote:

> There's a new version in the repository that has no more vestiges of
> #reallyAnswerTo:resolvedOn: -- or, for that matter, any of the
> resolvedOn: stuff.  I did end up adding the resolution as an instance
> variable of the Request; it meant that I had to make fewer changes in
> FileResource (e.g. FileResource>>checkURI:, which checks to see if a
> request for a directory needs a final slash).
>
> HTTPRequest no longer has a resourcePath or a resourcePosition.
>
> The next things I'd like to roll in from the Dolphin code are the
> CacheControl, the capability to read separated header chunks (including
> the re-ordering of HTTPRequest class>>readFrom), and the HTTP continue
> stuff.  Any takers?  ;)
>
> Another thing: there's a Swazoo namespace in the Swazoo-Core package.
>  Janko and I think it'd be a good idea to namespace the VW code, but
> there are currently no classes defined in the Swazoo namespace.  I want
> to make sure that we don't just move and rename things without
> consideration of the other non-VW platforms.  If we turn SwazooURI into
> Swazoo.URI, for example, and then refer to it as just #URI from all of
> our Swazoo code, how will that affect Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone?
>

> Ken

Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]
--- I use Smalltalk.  My amp goes to eleven.

Re: Namespaces (was: New Code)

Janko Mivšek
Ken,

We are in agreement actually :) Let we use VW5i namespace called Swazoo,
but still extend classes with Swazoo*, Web* or anything (let we discuss
this) for other, non-namespace dialects.

Janko