New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

... at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3143.

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-tpr.949/r3143

Spur:
Fix regression in primitiveNewWithArg from VMMaker.oscog-eem.859 which caused
basicNew: on fixed classes to raise OutOfMemory instead of the relevant error.

Have checkForAndFollowForwardedPrimitiveState follow other references in the
frame if a forwarder is found on the stack.

All:
Add a first cut at the primitiveSlotAt[Put] primitives.

Reimplement primitiveBitShift for 64-bits.

Define areIntegers:and: for 64-bit Spur, and move it into the ObjectMemory
hierarchies.
Add maxSmallInteger and minSmallInteger and matching manifest constants.
Use these in LargeIntegersPlugin and Matrix2x3Plugin.

Use numBytesOf: instead of lengthOf: in the 64-bit integer conversion routines.
Reorder cases in Spur's numBytesOf: to put common case first.
best,
Eliot

Re: New Cog VMs available

Levente Uzonyi-2

The linux versions (ht and normal) seem to be broken with the latest
Trunk image[1] (and any other image I tried). I suspect that the rendering
code is causing this, because the image becomes unresponsive right after
some UI changes, and uses 100% CPU.
I tried to open a browser, but got a few red squares with yellow crosses
along with some blurred gray lines instead. Sometimes it stops responding
after the first mouse click.

Levente

[1] http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/lastBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> ... at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3143.
> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-tpr.949/r3143
>
> Spur:
> Fix regression in primitiveNewWithArg from VMMaker.oscog-eem.859 which caused
> basicNew: on fixed classes to raise OutOfMemory instead of the relevant error.
>
> Have checkForAndFollowForwardedPrimitiveState follow other references in the
> frame if a forwarder is found on the stack.
>
> All:
> Add a first cut at the primitiveSlotAt[Put] primitives.
>
> Reimplement primitiveBitShift for 64-bits.
>
> Define areIntegers:and: for 64-bit Spur, and move it into the ObjectMemory
> hierarchies.
> Add maxSmallInteger and minSmallInteger and matching manifest constants.
> Use these in LargeIntegersPlugin and Matrix2x3Plugin.
>
> Use numBytesOf: instead of lengthOf: in the 64-bit integer conversion routines.
> Reorder cases in Spur's numBytesOf: to put common case first.
> --
> best,Eliot

Re: New Cog VMs available

Andreas Wacknitz

Am 21.11.14 um 18:18 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:

> The linux versions (ht and normal) seem to be broken with the latest
> Trunk image[1] (and any other image I tried). I suspect that the
> rendering code is causing this, because the image becomes unresponsive
> right after some UI changes, and uses 100% CPU.
> I tried to open a browser, but got a few red squares with yellow
> crosses along with some blurred gray lines instead. Sometimes it stops
> responding after the first mouse click.
>
> Levente
>
> [1]
> http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/lastBuild/artifact/target/TrunkImage.zip

The same problem seem to be for Mac versions.

Andreas

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> ... at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3143.
>> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-tpr.949/r3143
>>
>> Spur:
>> Fix regression in primitiveNewWithArg from VMMaker.oscog-eem.859
>> which caused
>> basicNew: on fixed classes to raise OutOfMemory instead of the
>> relevant error.
>>
>> Have checkForAndFollowForwardedPrimitiveState follow other references
>> in the
>> frame if a forwarder is found on the stack.
>>
>> All:
>> Add a first cut at the primitiveSlotAt[Put] primitives.
>>
>> Reimplement primitiveBitShift for 64-bits.
>>
>> Define areIntegers:and: for 64-bit Spur, and move it into the
>> ObjectMemory
>> hierarchies.
>> Add maxSmallInteger and minSmallInteger and matching manifest constants.
>> Use these in LargeIntegersPlugin and Matrix2x3Plugin.
>>
>> Use numBytesOf: instead of lengthOf: in the 64-bit integer conversion
>> routines.
>> Reorder cases in Spur's numBytesOf: to put common case first.
>> --
>> best,Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The linux versions (ht and normal) seem to be broken with the latest Trunk image[1] (and any other image I tried). I suspect that the rendering code is causing this, because the image becomes unresponsive right after some UI changes, and uses 100% CPU.
I tried to open a browser, but got a few red squares with yellow crosses along with some blurred gray lines instead. Sometimes it stops responding after the first mouse click.

Yes I can reproduce this.  Investigating now.

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a touch puzzling. I’m trying to work out how the changes to BItBltPlugin I checked in last night could possibly cause this and I’m coming up blank.

I broke bitShift:.  Give me a while...

The actual changes were -
add an extra bit of init to the initialiseModule code for builds where ENABLE_FAST_BLT is true. This code was already in the plain interp code as of about a year ago and somehow got missed in the cog code.
add a new prim stub, again mostly wrapped in ENABLE_FAST_BLT so that it should be null for most platforms.

Also update Ben’s fast blt for ARM code, which has support for the new prim.

I could imagine ARM vms having problems if something went wrong - maybe I managed to miss a file? - but other platforms? That’s nuts.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, when Piglet stubbed his fag out on the semtex.

best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The linux versions (ht and normal) seem to be broken with the latest Trunk image[1] (and any other image I tried). I suspect that the rendering code is causing this, because the image becomes unresponsive right after some UI changes, and uses 100% CPU.
I tried to open a browser, but got a few red squares with yellow crosses along with some blurred gray lines instead. Sometimes it stops responding after the first mouse click.

Yes, it appears I broke the bitSHift: primitive when I rewrite it.  Give me a few hours and things should be back to normal...