New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
We revamped the download instructions to incorporate the new VM builds and platform all-in-ones. The biggest improvement was that GNU/Linux now has its own instruction page laying out the various options and gotchas. Of course we should continue to improve, but IMHO we have addressed the most persistent gotchas.

Check out the pages: http://pharo.org/download and http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation (which is linked from the first)

Next up: we'd like to use the OpenBuildService to build from sources for all supported GNU/Linux configurations. Help is welcome!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

Dmitri Zagidulin
Nice work, Sean and everybody! That is an excellent download page.

What was the consensus about mentioning Launcher on it, by the way?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

philippeback
Nice!

Hair splitting comment: CentOS, not Centos.
BTW, CentOS means also RHEL and Oracle Linux.
I've tested on version 6, so I do not know about CentOS 7.

Phil

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
We revamped the download instructions to incorporate the new VM builds and
platform all-in-ones. The biggest improvement was that GNU/Linux now has its
own instruction page laying out the various options and gotchas. Of course
we should continue to improve, but IMHO we have addressed the most
persistent gotchas.

Check out the pages: http://pharo.org/download and
http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation (which is linked from the first)

Next up: we'd like to use the OpenBuildService to build from sources for all
supported GNU/Linux configurations. Help is welcome!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
Hair splitting comment: CentOS, not Centos.
Fixed.

philippeback wrote
BTW, CentOS means also RHEL and Oracle Linux.
I wasn't sure if linked libs would be guaranteed to be compatible/in the same location so I erred on the conservative side, but if you're sure they'll work, I could change it to "RedHat and derivatives" or whatever the proper term is.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

philippeback

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
philippeback wrote
> Hair splitting comment: CentOS, not Centos.

Fixed.

philippeback wrote
> BTW, CentOS means also RHEL and Oracle Linux.

I wasn't sure if linked libs would be guaranteed to be compatible/in the
same location so I erred on the conservative side, but if you're sure
they'll work, I could change it to "RedHat and derivatives" or whatever the
proper term is.

RHEL 6 is the proper term.
CentOS 6 is built from the same sources, only the graphical assets are changed.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

Ben Coman
I am seeing some strange characters in some links at

(maybe its just at work I am using an old browser IE9)
cheers -ben

Untitled.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ben Coman wrote
I am seeing some strange characters in some links... (maybe its just at work I am using an old browser IE9)
Yes they are strange, and no they're not due to IE9 (although I'd love to blame MS he he). They are due to a bug in Pillar with internal links [1]. The options were: a) have no internal links, or b) have the links with the funny characters.

[1] http://forum.world.st/Pillar-Link-to-anchor-in-same-document-tt4819681.html
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

demarey

Le 20 avr. 2015 à 20:23, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> We revamped the download instructions to incorporate the new VM builds and
> platform all-in-ones. The biggest improvement was that GNU/Linux now has its
> own instruction page laying out the various options and gotchas. Of course
> we should continue to improve, but IMHO we have addressed the most
> persistent gotchas.
>
> Check out the pages: http://pharo.org/download and
> http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation (which is linked from the first)
>
> Next up: we'd like to use the OpenBuildService to build from sources for all
> supported GNU/Linux configurations. Help is welcome!

great work Sean! It was really something missing.
Thanks

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: New Download instructions (esp. for GNU/Linux)

stepharo
Superb!
Thanks for making Pharo experience much better.

Stef