New Editor

123

New Editor

Thomas, Arden
Dear VW NC folks;

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: New Editor

Thomas Sattler
Arden, why don't we just redo the entire IDE as an Eclipse plugin?

If we as Smalltalk programmers march under the banner of "reuse", let's prove we mean it.  Let's reuse what other people have already done, instead of re-inventing the wheel with something as basic as a text editor.

--Tom

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Arden Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear VW NC folks;

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: New Editor

Jon Paynter-2
What Thomas said

Then just make sure most of the functions of modern text editors are available.
The 2 big ones for me is Full undo, and key mappings.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Thomas Sattler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alan Knight
Hmm. Making the entire IDE an Eclipse plugin would involve rather more than just re-using a text editor. And I think it would have quite a few consequences that people might not be happy with. In my new job I'm working a lot in the "Dart Editor", not an Eclipse plugin, but something built on top of the Eclipse RCP, working in Dart, which is in many ways quite Smalltalk-like, although it doesn't have the liveness of the environment that Smalltalk does. It's got a lot of nice features, and the people working on it are building in more every day, including responding quite nicely to my numerous bug reports and feature requests. And in comparison to full-blown Eclipse it's much simpler and much faster. Nevertheless, it's a long way from a Smalltalk environment, and I'd suggest working in it for a while as an introduction to what things might be like if we just re-used an existing IDE :-)

Also, AFAIK, full undo is already fully done. Or at least mostly done.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

jarober
-- full undo support, as in any modern editor
-- remember where I am - if I have N editors open in workspace tabs, I'd like them to maintain my position as I switch tabs
-- some kind of markup support to the browser, as mentioned by someone else in the thread
-- extensible key bindings

On Jun 15, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Arden Thomas wrote:

Dear VW NC folks;

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: New Editor

John Brant-2
On 6/15/2012 2:14 PM, Arden Thomas wrote:
> We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor,
> which is used in a number of places in the product.
> What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
> Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
> Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?
> Please let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

I like Dolphin Smalltalk's editor. They use Scintilla
(http://www.scintilla.org/). Scintilla is under the MIT license so it
can be used freely in commercial products. It supports folding, syntax
highlighting, auto-completion, and several other features. Several years
ago, I got it to somewhat work under VW, but I moved on to another
project before I got it working well.

I don't know if you could use Scintilla as your text editor since it may
not support all of the platforms that VW supports, but you can see what
today's text editor should support.

John Brant

Re: New Editor

abergel
Having keybidding, text coloring, text completion completely modularized and pluggable.
That would be awesome.

Alexandre

On Jun 16, 2012, at 3:14 AM, Arden Thomas wrote:

> Dear VW NC folks;
>
> We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.
>
> What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
> Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
> Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?
>
> Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!
>
> Regards
>
>                Arden Thomas
>
> Arden Thomas
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
> [hidden email]
> 845 296 0686
>
> Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible
>
> "Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Editor

Conrad Taylor
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Arden Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear VW NC folks;

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden, I would be interested in seeing the following:

GUI Related:

From Xcode 4.3.x:

a) assistant editor

b) version editor with support for Git

c) show and hide project navigator

d) show and hide debug area

e) symbol navigator (i.e. allows one to easily jump between classes and their associated methods).

f) tab completion

  1) class/instance method tab completion

  2  instance/class tab completion

  Note:  Xcode is a good example here because Objective-C's object model uses a similar syntax to Smalltalk.

g) being able to optionally switch your editing scope

   1)  method view (i.e. shows only a single method) as we do today

   2)  class view (i.e shows all the methods)

h) hide show line numbers to the right or left of the code (i.e. the gutter)

i)  easily add, disable, enable, and delete breakpoints to (h)

j)  method folding

From IntelliJ IDEA 11.1.x or Rubymine 4.x:

a) unit/spec test runner

API Related:

a)  Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) API

b)  built in support for Actor concurrency

c)  built in support for Traits

d)  built in support for Git

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Think different and code well,

-Conrad

Re: New Editor

Steven Kelly

Interesting to see so many wanting multi-level undo and keymapping – to my understanding these have been available for several years in TextEditorUndo and MagicKeys. I guess it just goes to show how important it is that Cincom integrate good things into the base rather than leaving them as goodies.

I think we should separate the code editor and text editor requirements. Code editor improvements please us developers, text editor improvements can make a significant difference to user acceptance.

Generic

-- from James: remember where I am - if I have N editors open in workspace tabs, I'd like them to maintain my position as I switch tabs [probably actually a general subcanvas / tab view problem, but I too feel it most severely in the Workbook and tabbed browser (RBTabbedToolsets)]

-- integrated ExtraEmphases

-- modern find/replace dialogs (Heeg has some improvements)

-- modern (i.e. post 1995) font selection. Let us choose the platform font directly, remember that choice but also the FontDescription, and next time if the font isn’t found find the closest based on its FontDescription

-- distinction between tab, Ctrl+tab and Ctrl+I, so I can apply italics in a text field, insert tabs, and also tab into and out of it

Code editor

Personally I don’t feel much need for better code editing functions. Most of those I need in other IDEs and aren’t present in VW, aren’t needed in VW – e.g. code folding.

-- indent and unindent with tab/shift-tab

-- integrated RBTabbedToolsets

-- History and Back/Forward while following a Senders/Implementors chain. Each navigation along the chain replaces the current contents of the editor, and adds itself to the Back/Forward chain as in a web browser or Trippy. ThreePaneSelectorBrowser had good elements of this.

Text Editor

-- import/export from RTF and HTML (Heeg has something for this)

-- support for different height characters in a line / lines in a paragraph / paragraphs in a text

Cheers,

Steve

Re: New Editor

giorgiof
Steven,
+1 for your choices.

and thanks for pointing to TextEditorUndo . I was unaware of it. (so,
this just to confirm that best of goodies should be integrated..).

Regarding Eclipse, I don't feel so well with that Monster catch all
IDE, but this is a personal taste. (and is so slow...)
A better code completion can help. DO what is possible to do based on
type inference. (or do I miss some other goodies that make code
completion better..:-)   )

thanks for thinking at improving

ciao

Giorgio

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting to see so many wanting multi-level undo and keymapping – to my
> understanding these have been available for several years in TextEditorUndo
> and MagicKeys. I guess it just goes to show how important it is that Cincom
> integrate good things into the base rather than leaving them as goodies.
>

> I think we should separate the code editor and text editor requirements.
> Code editor improvements please us developers, text editor improvements can
> make a significant difference to user acceptance.
>

> Generic
>
> -- from James: remember where I am - if I have N editors open in workspace
> tabs, I'd like them to maintain my position as I switch tabs [probably
> actually a general subcanvas / tab view problem, but I too feel it most
> severely in the Workbook and tabbed browser (RBTabbedToolsets)]
>
> -- integrated ExtraEmphases
>
> -- modern find/replace dialogs (Heeg has some improvements)
>
> -- modern (i.e. post 1995) font selection. Let us choose the platform font
> directly, remember that choice but also the FontDescription, and next time
> if the font isn’t found find the closest based on its FontDescription
>
> -- distinction between tab, Ctrl+tab and Ctrl+I, so I can apply italics in a
> text field, insert tabs, and also tab into and out of it
>

> Code editor
>
> Personally I don’t feel much need for better code editing functions. Most of
> those I need in other IDEs and aren’t present in VW, aren’t needed in VW –
> e.g. code folding.
>
> -- indent and unindent with tab/shift-tab
>
> -- integrated RBTabbedToolsets
>
> -- History and Back/Forward while following a Senders/Implementors chain.
> Each navigation along the chain replaces the current contents of the editor,
> and adds itself to the Back/Forward chain as in a web browser or Trippy.
> ThreePaneSelectorBrowser had good elements of this.
>

> Text Editor
>
> -- import/export from RTF and HTML (Heeg has something for this)
>
> -- support for different height characters in a line / lines in a paragraph
> / paragraphs in a text
>

> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Anthony Lander-3

On 12-Jun-15, at 5:59 PM, John Brant wrote:

> I like Dolphin Smalltalk's editor. They use Scintilla
> (http://www.scintilla.org/). Scintilla is under the MIT license so it
> can be used freely in commercial products. It supports folding, syntax
> highlighting, auto-completion, and several other features. Several years
> ago, I got it to somewhat work under VW, but I moved on to another
> project before I got it working well.

Many (many!) years ago I got this working with V/win32. It was a 2-day project to get it integrated, and I think it took another afternoon to get code completion working. It is well worth trying to get this working in VW, and will save you many hours of coding and debugging in the end.

  -Anthony

Re: New Editor

John Dougan
>What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
>Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
>Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

I haven't used VW in anger for awhile, but in the past had much
occasion to use the text editor as a component in other applications
both as a code editor and a styled text editor along with some
experiments in semi-text based coding. Downloading VWNC and reviewing
it looks like it's pretty much the same text editor and support
components.

I would want (list partially ripped from the Safará editor project**.
Look into it, it has some great ideas, a clean UI/core separation, and
is open source):
* Highly configurable and customizable using Smalltalk code or a
graphical customization interface.
* Highly extensible in term of features and syntaxes supported.
* Easily embeddable as a widget in other applications (e.g. mail
reader, applications using DSLs that might not be Smalltalk, etc.).
* Well integrated with the tools present on a traditional development image.
* Support for collaborative editing.
* Full Unicode support
* Undo integrated in, preferably by implementing editor command
objects (see safara).
* Fix or replace the #$%^&*&^%$#
TextAttributes/CharacterAttributes/FontPolicy/etc. system so it
matches modern developer expectations (which pretty much means the
CSS3/HTML5 model with some extensions for the precision that desktop
apps need). The worst part of making the tools I wanted was figuring
out how all of the font system worked, then making it do what I wanted
(At the time it would only let me use even pixel sizes for some
undocumented reason. Easy to fix, but it being there at all suggests
some serious developer misconceptions back in 1995.).
* When I last looked, you couldn't do rich text editing properly
because of ridiculous assumptions regarding line heights being
invariant. Even Squeak has this right.
* In my ideal world, the editor will have a similar extensibility to
the core editor in XEmacs or TextMate, except using Smalltalk and rich
text instead of elisp or ruby and flat ascii. Extensibility such as a
coherent key binding system and clear hooks for implementing new
features (syntax aware editing, colouring, folding, completion, etc.)
* Key bindings should be able to be targeted at scan-codes, possibly
universalized using the X keyboard system.

Some of this may have already been fixed, like I said it's been awhile
and the code is complex so I may have missed it in my quick review.

As far as semi text oriented coding goes, for starters I want
something extensible enough so this:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv66718DII
is implementable without having to override 3/4 of the
TextEditorController (never mind the ParagraphEditor).
For bonus points I'd like the extensibility to go to the point where I
could easily inline non ascii elements (images, audio, colour
swatches, objects, etc.) That would let me build hybrid DSLs with much
more direct manipulation as well as the more obvious usages in things
like blog post editors and mini word processors.

**) http://www.squeaksource.com/Safara.html
   http://blog.summer.squeak.org/2009/08/safara-development-status.html

--
John Dougan

Re: New Editor

Antony Blakey-2
Out-Of-Band annotations to replace the current warning/error annotation. I implemented this in a Smalltalk IDE written in Ruby+Cocoa. Thus enables XCode-like annotations that exactly pinpoint the error using a graphical device that isn't part of the normal text, where the device is expandable to show more information.

It was simple to do using the hooks available in Cocoa's text editor: per-line layout callbacks and the ability to advance the y coord / increase the line descent as a result of the callback, plus the appropriate drawing hook. Mouse handling done by recording the bounds during layout. Naturally you need to be to be able to relayout the text if the annotation expands as a result of interaction, and hence the engine needs to optimise the the case when relayout only increases the line height (or maybe not if your text editor is only for small amounts of text).

The whole thing (editor+hooks) isn't a lot of work iff you ignore bidi, speaking from experience. I'd use the Cocoa API as a model template.

On 16/06/2012, at 4:44 AM, Arden Thomas wrote:

> What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?

Antony Blakey

Re: New Editor

Antony Blakey-2
IMO it would be better to aim for native platform coherence than focussing on massive configurability.

On 17/06/2012, at 12:22 PM, John Dougan wrote:

> * In my ideal world, the editor will have a similar extensibility to
> the core editor in XEmacs or TextMate, except using Smalltalk and rich
> text instead of elisp or ruby and flat ascii. Extensibility such as a
> coherent key binding system and clear hooks for implementing new
> features (syntax aware editing, colouring, folding, completion, etc.)
> * Key bindings should be able to be targeted at scan-codes, possibly
> universalized using the X keyboard system.

Antony Blakey
-------------
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new order of things... Whenever his enemies have the ability to attack the innovator, they do so with the passion of partisans, while the others defend him sluggishly, So that the innovator and his party alike are vulnerable.
  -- Niccolo Machiavelli, 1513, The Prince.

Re: New Editor

andre
> * Key bindings should be able to be targeted at scan-codes, possibly
> universalized using the X keyboard system.

+1

I've tressed this multiple times in the past. Identifying keys by scan codes is the only reliable way for key mappings, considering the countless international keyboard layouts out there.

There is a big conceptual difference between treating the keyboard as a text input device (as currently done), or a controller (which is required for key mappings).

Please.

Andre

Re: New Editor

Holger Guhl
I love drag and drop a lot.
Reading about all that demand for syntax highlighting, coloring, auto-completion, auto-select, info-popup ... makes me fear that the editor could turn into an all singing and dancing monster which is no longer good for typing. So please, add configuration settings to opt out. I love the current scheme to configure the editor by loading (or not loading) features. For example: I am much in favor of auto-completion, but ignorant for syntax highlighting. With the same attitude I added a setting to my GHFindDialog goodie that allows to disable the feature (if it's loaded but not wanted by every developer using the same image).

Cheers
- Holger

Am 15.06.2012 21:14, schrieb Arden Thomas:
Dear VW NC folks;

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?
Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?
Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: New Editor

Claus Kick
For me, its either Scintilla or Eclipse, as long as it is an editor which is usable.
I would love to see a full type inference system which works with annotations where you can let infer a type or manually define the type of any object.

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

Re: New Editor

Paul Baumann

Why does Microsoft still include notepad.exe with Windows? It is because it is a no frills editor that everyone needs. I use a VW editor for the same reason. I don't need an editor that tries to copy/paste tags; in fact, I paste to VW editors to strip all that junk off before copying to one of Microsoft's editors that attempts to do everything and messes up the hidden tags in the text.

A "modern" editor is one that is configurable from dirt simple through VW enhanced to user customized. I suggest defining an abstract superclass that implements generic editor behavior that others can subclass and override to customize for their own needs. A no frills editor should be one of those subclasses. There should include configurable purpose-based subclasses too; like, "CodeEditor" versus "WorkspaceEditor". I don't want a workspace editor that attempts to add color syntax emphasis, but perhaps someone else does.

A typical scenario would be that menus would be added by multiple frameworks to the "CodeEditor". Each framework should only need to define the menu in one place even though the "CodeEditor" may be configured to actually be anything from no-frills to user customized. In other words, use the Bridge pattern and double-dispatch.

As a tool vendor, don't attempt to be everything to everyone; rather, provide a foundation upon which anyone can customize and share customizations. I'd want the no-frills editor, thank you. IMO, Microsoft fails with editors because they attempt to have full control of being everything to everyone. Every feature MS adds ends up having bugs. Every "assistant" from paperclip to selection assistance end getting in the way. Then consider that OpenOffice does a better job actually being everything to everyone because a release is more about managing integration and protocol rather than managing development.

Cincom should evolve an editor framework that others can extend. Cincom should not need to define all the features that everyone wants, but should integrate popular features and adjust the framework to enable others to extend it. Make it easy for others to use, extend, and share.  Always allow no-frills editing for those that prefer that. Also allow someone to download and install a popular set of editor behavior as their DefaultCodeEditor. Frameworks that extend DefaultCodeEditor (through registered modules rather than method overrides) should continue to work regardless of the editor customizations. The current use of pragmas to extend menus is already somewhat like this.

Imagine that the DefaultCodeEditor has a sequence of user-selectable modules that define behavior. If more than one module attempts to be responsible for both 'syntax highlighting' and 'text selection' rules then the module sequence determines which module gets each responsibility by default. The configuration screen for DefaultCodeEditor should list all the applied modules and the responsibilities that each module would like to control. The user can change the module sequence and also de-select a responsibility of a specific module so that behavior goes to the next in the sequence. Some modules would allow customization of the responsibilities that they have; the configuration window could participate in that configuration too.

Paul Baumann

We are in the process of revamping and modernizing our text editor, which is used in a number of places in the product.

What are your wishes/needs/requirements in a text editor?

Any api level access you have dreamed about to accomplish some tasks?

Any current restrictions that are an obstacle?

Please let us know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Regards

               Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas

Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: New Editor

John Dougan
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Antony Blakey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> IMO it would be better to aim for native platform coherence than focussing on massive configurability.

For ST programming, I actually don't care much about platform
coherence. For that VW is just barely good enough. Add in goodies and
I'm fine. A normal ST coding style (short methods, logic distributed
via message passing) doesn't really need much of an editor.

For many of the places where I was using the editor as a component, it
could have been as "off-platform" as a JS based rich text editor
typically is and it wouldn't have mattered. What did matter is self
coherence, polish and enough extensibility that I could make it
interact with the rest of my ST app and the components it depended on.

For the other places, the native platform doesn't matter because it
was experimental and hopefully would have gone well beyond standard
platform capabilities. Look at games and web pages…a lot of web page
and game designers take the browser/platform defaults for widgets, but
there is a healthy industry of people producing non conventional
widgetry (I'm looking at a bunch in gmail right now)…and if done
reasonably well it doesn't appear to confuse unduly (Nothing can
protect us from bad designers).

I'm not against platform coherence, I just don't think that it matters
that much any more. Fifteen years ago, sure…people got nervous if UX
did't match their expectations as set by the one platform they then
used. Now they use multiple platforms and are generally much more
sophisticated…but that includes expecting a polished and self coherent
UI experience even if it doesn't match the platform. (Heck, maybe VW
should include a UI experience that is capable of resembling a browser
to make those expectations work for it)

--
John Dougan

Re: New Editor