New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

12

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Frederic Pluquet-3
Yes because I wanted that  :-) What do you propose to describe ? Always the children ?

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
It happens as well for Implementors, Elements, ...

Le 10-juin-09 à 11:59, Antoine Marot a écrit :

When I click on "Methods", the item displayed on the right is not the method dictionary but the parent object.

Could you check that ?

Antoine

Le 10-juin-09 à 10:49, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :

I commited a new version of NewInspector, with new feartures :

- add progress bar indicator when long collections are inspected (no freeze feeling)
- limit the description string of collections to 5000 characters(speed)
- add inst vars as direct children of an object (accessibility and speed)
- children of first inspected object opened by default (accessibility and speed)

Thanks for your feedback !

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Antoine Marot
I would like to have a collection of the children to see them quickly.

I think unfolding is only interesting to inspect a particular children. When I click on Methods or Implementors, I expect to see them rather than the object from which they are derived.

Le 10-juin-09 à 12:09, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :

[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
yeap!
seems the same for me but I did not try your new version

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Antoine Marot wrote:

> I would like to have a collection of the children to see them quickly.
>
> I think unfolding is only interesting to inspect a particular
> children. When I click on Methods or Implementors, I expect to see
> them rather than the object from which they are derived.
>

> Le 10-juin-09 à 12:09, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :
>
>> Yes because I wanted that  :-) What do you propose to describe ?
>> Always the children ?
>>
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
>> It happens as well for Implementors, Elements, ...
>>

>> Le 10-juin-09 à 11:59, Antoine Marot a écrit :
>>
>>> When I click on "Methods", the item displayed on the right is not
>>> the method dictionary but the parent object.
>>>
>>> Could you check that ?
>>>

>>> Antoine

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Alexandre Bergel
> great, you could analyse the linux kernel C code inside Pharo ?

Yes. I convert .c files into srcML files (an XML file that contains
more of less the AST of .c). Then, I use CAnalyzer, an importer.
Mondrian does the rest
I can provide more info if you're interested.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Extensible Inspector

Alexandre Bergel
> yes
>
> but just parsing no symbol resolution.

I resolve method calls and variable access. More is easily doable.

Alexandre

>>> Hum... Load moose, CAnalyzer, then the linux kernel, and open a
>>> NewInspector on the model.
>>
>> great, you could analyse the linux kernel C code inside Pharo ?
>>
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Michael Roberts-2
At some point does it make sense to move the tools (OB etc) into the
core so that we don't have folk working around them not being there? I
don't believe such fragmentation of tools helps us long term.
Thanks
Mike
On Tuesday, June 9, 2009, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Frederic,
>
> It looks really good. I tried to used it instead of the Explorer.
> Few comments:
>         - Unfolding a branch that contains an element with a very very long
> printOn: seems to freeze the system.
> Ok, I should limit the size of the generated string (with ... at the end).
>
> I got an error niDescription not found.
> Do you have an example I can reproduce ?
>
>        - I spend a lot of time in unfolding branches to see field content.
> Maybe field values could be displayed without having to unfold ?
> Good idea. I'll see what I can do.
> Cheers,
> Fréd

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Mariano Martinez Peck
But for example, OB must work in Squeak also, not only Pharo. If we fork OB we will then merge both of them.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
At some point does it make sense to move the tools (OB etc) into the
core so that we don't have folk working around them not being there? I
don't believe such fragmentation of tools helps us long term.
Thanks
Mike
On Tuesday, June 9, 2009, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Frederic,
>
> It looks really good. I tried to used it instead of the Explorer.
> Few comments:
>         - Unfolding a branch that contains an element with a very very long
> printOn: seems to freeze the system.
> Ok, I should limit the size of the generated string (with ... at the end).
>
> I got an error niDescription not found.
> Do you have an example I can reproduce ?
>
>        - I spend a lot of time in unfolding branches to see field content.
> Maybe field values could be displayed without having to unfold ?
> Good idea. I'll see what I can do.
> Cheers,
> Fréd

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Lukas Renggli
I don't think that the current code of OB still runs in Squeak. It
doesn't even work in older versions of Pharo.

Lukas

On Friday, June 12, 2009, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But for example, OB must work in Squeak also, not only Pharo. If we fork OB we will then merge both of them.
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At some point does it make sense to move the tools (OB etc) into the
> core so that we don't have folk working around them not being there? I
> don't believe such fragmentation of tools helps us long term.
> Thanks
> Mike
> On Tuesday, June 9, 2009, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Alex,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Frederic,
>>
>> It looks really good. I tried to used it instead of the Explorer.
>> Few comments:
>>         - Unfolding a branch that contains an element with a very very long
>> printOn: seems to freeze the system.
>> Ok, I should limit the size of the generated string (with ... at the end).
>>
>> I got an error niDescription not found.
>> Do you have an example I can reproduce ?
>>
>>        - I spend a lot of time in unfolding branches to see field content.
>> Maybe field values could be displayed without having to unfold ?
>> Good idea. I'll see what I can do.
>> Cheers,
>> Fréd

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Frederic Pluquet-3
It's done in the last version.

Thanks for feedback :)

Fréd
----
[...]

I was wondering if we could remove explorer and viewexplorer and
replace them by your inspector?
Waht the people think?

Stef

On Jun 19, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Frederic Pluquet wrote:

> It's done in the last version.
>
> Thanks for feedback :)
>
> Fréd
> ----
> Frédéric Pluquet
> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>

> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
> I would like to have a collection of the children to see them quickly.
>
> I think unfolding is only interesting to inspect a particular
> children. When I click on Methods or Implementors, I expect to see
> them rather than the object from which they are derived.
>

> Le 10-juin-09 à 12:09, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :
>
>> Yes because I wanted that  :-) What do you propose to describe ?
>> Always the children ?
>>
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
>> It happens as well for Implementors, Elements, ...
>>

>> Le 10-juin-09 à 11:59, Antoine Marot a écrit :
>>
>>> When I click on "Methods", the item displayed on the right is not
>>> the method dictionary but the parent object.
>>>
>>> Could you check that ?
>>>

>>> Antoine

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Alexandre Bergel
I have been using NewInspector for a while but not in an intensive
manner, and I am happy.

Alexandre

On 19 Jun 2009, at 09:44, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I was wondering if we could remove explorer and viewexplorer and
> replace them by your inspector?
> Waht the people think?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 19, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Frederic Pluquet wrote:
>
>> It's done in the last version.
>>
>> Thanks for feedback :)
>>
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
>> I would like to have a collection of the children to see them
>> quickly.
>>
>> I think unfolding is only interesting to inspect a particular
>> children. When I click on Methods or Implementors, I expect to see
>> them rather than the object from which they are derived.
>>

>> Le 10-juin-09 à 12:09, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :
>>
>>> Yes because I wanted that  :-) What do you propose to describe ?
>>> Always the children ?
>>>
>>> Fréd
>>> ----
>>> Frédéric Pluquet
>>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>>> Assistant
>>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>>

>>> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
>>> It happens as well for Implementors, Elements, ...

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Frederic Pluquet-3
It is obviously perfect for me :)

I'll try soon to write a webpage to explain how to personalize easily this inspector (for personal needs).

Fréd
----

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was wondering if we could remove explorer and viewexplorer and
replace them by your inspector?
Waht the people think?

Stef

On Jun 19, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Frederic Pluquet wrote:

> It's done in the last version.
>
> Thanks for feedback :)
>
> Fréd
> ----
> Frédéric Pluquet
> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>

> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
> I would like to have a collection of the children to see them quickly.
>
> I think unfolding is only interesting to inspect a particular
> children. When I click on Methods or Implementors, I expect to see
> them rather than the object from which they are derived.
>

> Le 10-juin-09 à 12:09, Frederic Pluquet a écrit :
>
>> Yes because I wanted that  :-) What do you propose to describe ?
>> Always the children ?
>>
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> 2009/6/10 Antoine Marot <[hidden email]>
>> It happens as well for Implementors, Elements, ...
>>

>> Le 10-juin-09 à 11:59, Antoine Marot a écrit :
>>
>>> When I click on "Methods", the item displayed on the right is not
>>> the method dictionary but the parent object.
>>>
>>> Could you check that ?
>>>

>>> Antoine

Re: New Extensible Inspector for Pharo-Core

Mariano Martinez Peck
I am agree. I have used it for a while and seems more useful than the original.