New GemStone/Seaside Appliance

Monty Williams-3
  We're planning on releasing a new GemStone/Seaside Appliance before
ESUG, and we could use some feedback on what we've put together.
You can grab a copy at:
http://glass-downloads.gemstone.com/gss24/FullGLASS-rc4.zip

It's more of an 'appliance' than our previous version, i.e. it boots up
in a console window, not in a GUI running Firefox.
It's running Seaside 3.0 and GemStone/S 2.4.4.1 on a current Ubuntu 10.04.

Let us know of any problems, but also anything you particularly
like/dislike.

-- Monty

Here's the README:

GemStone starts automatically when this GLASS Appliance is booted.
Seaside gems
and statmonitor processes that are killed will be restarted automatically by
daemontools. To stop the Seaside gems use:
   sudo /etc/init.d/topaz stop
To stop statmonitor processes use:
   sudo /etc/init.d/statmon stop

The IP Address of this Appliance is printed at boot time and when you
login. Use:
   ssh -Y glass@<IP Address>
to login from your system. You may find that environment more usable
than logging
in directly to the VMware console.

If you have problems logging in from GemTools, make sure you are using a
current
GemTools version, then use this command for assistance:
   gemtools_login_help

To control GemStone running under daemontools, use gemstone_start,
gemstone_stop,
and gemstone_status. You can use [sudo] /etc/init.d/topaz,
/etc/init.d/gemstone,
/etc/init.d/netldi, and /etc/init.d/statmon followed by
start|stop|restart|status
to control individual GemStone components.

Two statmonitor processes are running. One monitors at 1-second
intervals, the
other at 60-second intervals. Their output is in stats/1-second and
stats/60-second directories respectively. Running 'sudo
/etc/init.d/statmon start'
deletes 1-second stats older than 4 hours and 60-second stats older than
30 days.

The directory GemStone_daemontools_setup contains the scripts that were
used to
create this GLASS appliance. You do not need to run them again.  We've
left the
scripts in case you want to experiment with creating different GLASS
appliance
configurations. Most of those scripts need to be run by root. The glass
account
is setup to use sudo. You cannot login as root directly.

Since git is installed on this GLASS Appliance, you can obtain later
updates to
these scripts by:
   cd GemStone_daemontools_setup
   git stash         # To preserve any local changes you've made
   git pull
   git pop           # To restore any local changes you've made

You may want to first see what changes you'll be pulling at:
http://github.com/Monty/GemStone_daemontools_setup

-- The GLASS team

Re: New GemStone/Seaside Appliance

Monty Williams-3
  If anyone with graphics skills would like a challenge, it would be
nice to have a Seaside or other graphical "GLASS Dashboard" app that you
could use to monitor GLASS state and even some performance info.

While there are a number of issues solved by having a console based
GLASS appliance, I miss the green "OK" status for each of the Seaside
gems that was shown in Firefox window on the old appliance. Tests show
daemontools does an excellent job of keeping gems running, so maybe its
not much of an issue.

Maybe I'll add a parameter to gemstone_status to that can make it repeat
every n seconds. It may not be pretty, but it would give you a
reasonable overview of what's running.

$ gemstone_status
Status  Version    Owner    Pid   Port   Started     Type  Name
------ --------- --------- ----- ----- ------------ ------ ----
   OK   2.4.4.1   glass      1046 33867 Aug 18 07:03 cache
seaside@localhost
   OK   2.4.4.1   glass      1045 54581 Aug 18 07:03 Stone  seaside
   OK   2.4.4.1   glass      1063 50377 Aug 18 07:03 Netldi gs64ldi

/etc/service/gs_maintenance: up (pid 667) 6581 seconds
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9001: up (pid 670) 6581 seconds
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9002: up (pid 669) 6581 seconds
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9003: up (pid 668) 6581 seconds
/etc/service/gs_statmon-1: up (pid 672) 6581 seconds
/etc/service/gs_statmon-60: up (pid 666) 6581 seconds

This is all it would take to get a display similar to top using a shell
script:

#!/bin/bash
while true; do
     gemstone_status
     sleep 5
     clear
done

FYI, if I stop the system using "gemstone_stop", I can see how long the
daemontools processes have been down.

$ gemstone_status
gslist[Info]: No GemStone servers.

/etc/service/gs_maintenance: down 88 seconds, normally up
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9001: down 88 seconds, normally up
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9002: down 88 seconds, normally up
/etc/service/gs_seaside-9003: down 88 seconds, normally up
/etc/service/gs_statmon-1: down 88 seconds, normally up
/etc/service/gs_statmon-60: down 88 seconds, normally up

-- Monty

On 8/17/10 8:01 PM, Monty Williams wrote:

> [...]
> used to
> create this GLASS appliance. You do not need to run them again.  We've
> left the
> scripts in case you want to experiment with creating different GLASS
> appliance
> configurations. Most of those scripts need to be run by root. The glass
> account
> is setup to use sudo. You cannot login as root directly.
>
> Since git is installed on this GLASS Appliance, you can obtain later
> updates to
> these scripts by:
>     cd GemStone_daemontools_setup
>     git stash         # To preserve any local changes you've made
>     git pull
>     git pop           # To restore any local changes you've made
>
> You may want to first see what changes you'll be pulling at:

Nick
Hi Monty,

On 18 August 2010 04:01, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
 We're planning on releasing a new GemStone/Seaside Appliance before ESUG, and we could use some feedback on what we've put together.
You can grab a copy at:
http://glass-downloads.gemstone.com/gss24/FullGLASS-rc4.zip

It's more of an 'appliance' than our previous version, i.e. it boots up in a console window, not in a GUI running Firefox.
It's running Seaside 3.0 and GemStone/S 2.4.4.1 on a current Ubuntu 10.04.

Let us know of any problems, but also anything you particularly like/dislike.

I downloaded the appliance, connected via Gemtools and had a quick explore of the installed seaside apps via the browser. All worked perfectly without any hitches.
It's arrived at a perfect time for me, as I've just setup a Linode Ubuntu 10.04 server with Gemstone and I was about to put something like daemontools or monit on. I've already learnt a lot by studying some of your scripts. Very useful, thanks.

Nick

Re: New GemStone/Seaside Appliance

Nick
Hi again,

On 18 August 2010 17:04, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
 If anyone with graphics skills would like a challenge, it would be nice to have a Seaside or other graphical "GLASS Dashboard" app that you could use to monitor GLASS state and even some performance info.

If nobody takes up the challenge before ESUG I'm happy to help build a dashboard in Barcellona.

Nick