New Image Command Line Handlers

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
We (Cami, Ben, and I) added some command line options to control preference loading, which seem useful e.g. for integrators and in my original use case of running an image off a USB stick on a foreign computer and not wanting to pick up those preferences

There are two new flags:
1. --no-default-preferences = don't load from any of the default locations
2. --preference-file [/full/path/to/file.st] = load this one

They are independent, so there are four options now:
    1    |    2    |
                       - current behavior
    x                 - don't load any preferences
               x      - load the defaults and this additional
    x         x      - only load the specified file (not the defaults)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Image Command Line Handlers

philippeback
Good news.

If by default on Windows, it would be another default than pharo\ it would be great as it would be nicer with zeroconf fetching pharo-ui and pharo (headless)

Are those changes going to find their way in Pharo 2.0?

Phil

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Image Command Line Handlers

excellent I will update the StartUp script chapter (except if somebody wants to do it).

On Oct 10, 2013, at 7:48 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We (Cami, Ben, and I) added some command line options to control preference
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: New Image Command Line Handlers

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It doesn't really fit our "backport bug fixes only" policy. When I backported the completion stuff because it was too cool not to, it was a week-long hassle chasing collateral bugs. But what I've been doing for these types of things is merging into the released version, saving the packages online, and customizing my own images with them. It's been working pretty well since the released versions don't change very much.

HTH

[...]

http://forum.world.st/New-Image-Command-Line-Handlers-tp4713693p4713697.html
To unsubscribe from New Image Command Line Handlers, click here.
NAML
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Image Command Line Handlers

Tudor Girba-2
This is great. However, I vote against backporting to Pharo 2.0. Pharo 3.0 is close to be frozen and I think the efforts should be focused on that right now.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: New Image Command Line Handlers

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
Are those changes going to find their way in Pharo 2.0?
If you need them, you can try to load the Backport-Pharo-Issue-11571-to-20 package from http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/PharoSpd.

Two caveats:
1. there is a post-load doit
2. I haven't tested the changes in 2.0