New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

12

New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Carla F. Griggio
Hi everyone!
I want to let you know that I've just posted a screencast in my blog about the new Mars Package Browser and Test Runner
These examples are not really intended as being the definitive package browser or test runner, but to start experiencing how is it to build a real application using Mars and to showcase some widgets. Anyway, it's cool :) The Package browser is not so different to the system browser example I showed before, but the Test Runner is definitely my favorite example so far.

I give more details in the screencast and the blog post. Any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers,
Carla.

MarsPackageBrowserAndTestRunner.png (398K) Download Attachment

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

laurent laffont
Hi Carla,

this is cool ! Is there a ready Pharo + Mars image built by jenkins server ?

Cheers,

Laurent

kilon
You did an awesome job, I had not the chance to try your code. I assume it on smalltalkhub but it is down , but will try your code ASAP on my UBUNTU. But from the videos its clear you have done very good job, thank you for contributing to pharo . google code link to a non existent website. Where exactly one can get the code ?

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

kilon
ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not found unix" . How I load it ?

I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Carla F. Griggio
Hi!
For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do: http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/

It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but if something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not found
unix" . How I load it ?

I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

EstebanLM
oops... I updated the page... but most probably I should remove it.
when ready to use filetree, I will move Mars to github or bitbucket :)

Esteban

On Sep 24, 2013, at 10:31 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You did an awesome job, I had not the chance to try your code. I assume it on
> smalltalkhub but it is down , but will try your code ASAP on my UBUNTU. But
> from the videos its clear you have done very good job, thank you for
> contributing to pharo . google code link to a non existent website. Where
> exactly one can get the code ?

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

kilon
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN

Carla F. Griggio wrote
Hi!
For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/

It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but if
something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
> found
> unix" . How I load it ?
>
> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.

> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Santiago Bragagnolo
woaaa, i love it. Can the potion have the colour of the tests? (all green= green potion)) :3 does the potion get filled meanwhile tests are running? (i know all what i ask for is not needed :P )

2013/9/24 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
oops... I updated the page... but most probably I should remove it.
when ready to use filetree, I will move Mars to github or bitbucket :)

Esteban

On Sep 24, 2013, at 10:31 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You did an awesome job, I had not the chance to try your code. I assume it on
> smalltalkhub but it is down , but will try your code ASAP on my UBUNTU. But
> from the videos its clear you have done very good job, thank you for
> contributing to pharo . google code link to a non existent website. Where
> exactly one can get the code ?

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Santiago Bragagnolo
(of course i didnt saw the video because my beloved proxy :) )

2013/9/24 Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]>
woaaa, i love it. Can the potion have the colour of the tests? (all green= green potion)) :3 does the potion get filled meanwhile tests are running? (i know all what i ask for is not needed :P )

2013/9/24 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
oops... I updated the page... but most probably I should remove it.
when ready to use filetree, I will move Mars to github or bitbucket :)

Esteban

On Sep 24, 2013, at 10:31 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You did an awesome job, I had not the chance to try your code. I assume it on
> smalltalkhub but it is down , but will try your code ASAP on my UBUNTU. But
> from the videos its clear you have done very good job, thank you for
> contributing to pharo . google code link to a non existent website. Where
> exactly one can get the code ?

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

laurent laffont
Same error here on ArchLinux.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN <http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN>

Carla F. Griggio wrote
> Hi!
> For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
> http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/
>
> It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but
> if
> something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.
>
> Thanks for the comments, everybody.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <

> thekilon@.co

> > wrote:
>
>> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
>> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
>> found
>> unix" . How I load it ?
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.
>>

>> --
>> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Carla F. Griggio
Santiago: yes! Germán said the same thing :P It would be awesome. Maybe filling the potion is more difficult, but at least I can change the color :P

Kilon and laurent: I will try it in a new image and get back to you, thanks for trying it (or trying to try it :P).

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same error here on ArchLinux.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN <http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN>

Carla F. Griggio wrote
> Hi!
> For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
> http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/
>
> It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but
> if
> something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.
>
> Thanks for the comments, everybody.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <

> thekilon@.co

> > wrote:
>
>> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
>> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
>> found
>> unix" . How I load it ?
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.
>>

>> --
>> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Carla F. Griggio
I'm checking that error and it's weird. First, I could load the project with no problems in the last Pharo 2.0 image I downloaded from pharo-project.org.

But I checked your stacktrace and I see that the error comes from here:

ExternalObject class>>initialize
"ExternalObject initialize"
Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: ShortRunArray.

That is a class from the FFI-Kernel package, and ShortRunArray (the class that is not found in your stacktrace, I assume) is in the package Balloon-Collections.

Maybe there's a problem with FFI dependencies?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Santiago: yes! Germán said the same thing :P It would be awesome. Maybe filling the potion is more difficult, but at least I can change the color :P

Kilon and laurent: I will try it in a new image and get back to you, thanks for trying it (or trying to try it :P).

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same error here on ArchLinux.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN <http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN>

Carla F. Griggio wrote
> Hi!
> For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
> http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/
>
> It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but
> if
> something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.
>
> Thanks for the comments, everybody.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <

> thekilon@.co

> > wrote:
>
>> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
>> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
>> found
>> unix" . How I load it ?
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.
>>

>> --
>> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

laurent laffont
I've tried on Pharo 3.0.

On Pharo2.0 one click it loads correctly.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm checking that error and it's weird. First, I could load the project with no problems in the last Pharo 2.0 image I downloaded from pharo-project.org.

But I checked your stacktrace and I see that the error comes from here:

ExternalObject class>>initialize
"ExternalObject initialize"
Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: ShortRunArray.

That is a class from the FFI-Kernel package, and ShortRunArray (the class that is not found in your stacktrace, I assume) is in the package Balloon-Collections.

Maybe there's a problem with FFI dependencies?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Santiago: yes! Germán said the same thing :P It would be awesome. Maybe filling the potion is more difficult, but at least I can change the color :P

Kilon and laurent: I will try it in a new image and get back to you, thanks for trying it (or trying to try it :P).

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same error here on ArchLinux.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN <http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN>

Carla F. Griggio wrote
> Hi!
> For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
> http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/
>
> It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but
> if
> something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.
>
> Thanks for the comments, everybody.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <

> thekilon@.co

> > wrote:
>
>> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
>> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
>> found
>> unix" . How I load it ?
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.
>>

>> --
>> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

EstebanLM
ah yes... in 3.0 it will not work at the moment :)

On Sep 24, 2013, at 2:25 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've tried on Pharo 3.0.

On Pharo2.0 one click it loads correctly.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm checking that error and it's weird. First, I could load the project with no problems in the last Pharo 2.0 image I downloaded from pharo-project.org.

But I checked your stacktrace and I see that the error comes from here:

ExternalObject class>>initialize
"ExternalObject initialize"
Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: ShortRunArray.

That is a class from the FFI-Kernel package, and ShortRunArray (the class that is not found in your stacktrace, I assume) is in the package Balloon-Collections.

Maybe there's a problem with FFI dependencies?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Santiago: yes! Germán said the same thing :P It would be awesome. Maybe filling the potion is more difficult, but at least I can change the color :P

Kilon and laurent: I will try it in a new image and get back to you, thanks for trying it (or trying to try it :P).

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same error here on ArchLinux.

Laurent

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah it fails with error after executing :

Gofer it
  url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/estebanlm/Mars/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMars';
  load.

ConfigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge: 'All'.

"Error : nil cannot be found in Smalltalk dictionary"

here is the stack trace

http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN <http://pastebin.com/yyHSVntN>

Carla F. Griggio wrote
> Hi!
> For Ubuntu read this blog entry where I explain the setup I had to do:
> http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/setting-up-the-environment/
>
> It's a little outdated because it was one of the first things I did, but
> if
> something doesn't work just let me know or comment on the blog post.
>
> Thanks for the comments, everybody.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, kilon <

> thekilon@.co

> > wrote:
>
>> ok found it in smalltalkhub and load it to the image, but trying
>> CofigurationOfMars loadBleedingEdge gives me an error "error: name not
>> found
>> unix" . How I load it ?
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 13.04 amd64.
>>

>> --
>> Nabble.com.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

abergel
I am wondering. How far are we from dropping Morphic for good?
By the way, is this the goal?

Alexandre

On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:09 AM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nope! I should learn how to do that :P I'll try to do it this week.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Carla,
>
> this is cool ! Is there a ready Pharo + Mars image built by jenkins server ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I want to let you know that I've just posted a screencast in my blog about the new Mars Package Browser and Test Runner.
> These examples are not really intended as being the definitive package browser or test runner, but to start experiencing how is it to build a real application using Mars and to showcase some widgets. Anyway, it's cool :) The Package browser is not so different to the system browser example I showed before, but the Test Runner is definitely my favorite example so far.
>
> I give more details in the screencast and the blog post. Any feedback is appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Carla.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Stéphane Ducasse

> I am wondering. How far are we from dropping Morphic for good?

Far.

> By the way, is this the goal?

No I do not think so because they are plenty of experimentations that a native binding
will not support.

Stef

>> Nope! I should learn how to do that :P I'll try to do it this week.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Carla,
>>
>> this is cool ! Is there a ready Pharo + Mars image built by jenkins server ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>> I want to let you know that I've just posted a screencast in my blog about the new Mars Package Browser and Test Runner.
>> These examples are not really intended as being the definitive package browser or test runner, but to start experiencing how is it to build a real application using Mars and to showcase some widgets. Anyway, it's cool :) The Package browser is not so different to the system browser example I showed before, but the Test Runner is definitely my favorite example so far.
>>
>> I give more details in the screencast and the blog post. Any feedback is appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Carla.

Re: [Esug-list] New Mars examples: Package Browser and Test Runner

Goubier Thierry

Le 24/09/2013 15:05, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

>> I am wondering. How far are we from dropping Morphic for good?
>
> Far.
>
>> By the way, is this the goal?
>
> No I do not think so because they are plenty of experimentations that a native binding
> will not support.

But could a Spec subset (or Spec itself?) target Mars?

Thierry

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am wondering. How far are we from dropping Morphic for good?
>
> Far.

yes, we still need a lot of work.
but I'm working on made a release so others can collaborate :)

>> By the way, is this the goal?
>
> No I do not think so because they are plenty of experimentations that a native binding
> will not support.

the objective is to have an alternative.
now, we are running morphs inside mars windows (with athens, etc.)... so there would not be a problem there :)

Le 24/09/2013 15:09, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> I am wondering. How far are we from dropping Morphic for good?
>>
>> Far.
>
> yes, we still need a lot of work.
> but I'm working on made a release so others can collaborate :)
>

>>> By the way, is this the goal?
>>
>> No I do not think so because they are plenty of experimentations that a native binding
>> will not support.
>
> the objective is to have an alternative.
> now, we are running morphs inside mars windows (with athens, etc.)... so there would not be a problem there :)

Oh, this is how you are doing it.

I tried Mars but my 64bits ubuntu makes installing the required libs
(gtk3-devel) a bit harder than expected.

Thierry