New Pharo Collections

AlexanderBrenchev
Greetings to everyone. My name is Alexander Brenchev, and I want to tell you about my recent project, which will be my pre-bachelor work.

The goal of my project is to make a new collections for Pharo Smalltalk. We have a great plans about list of important collections, but we also need your opinion about them. So, feel free to make your suggestions about collections which you want to be implemented.

The project page is available here

Now I want to tell something about what I've done so far:

1)  A brief documentation about current collections hierarchy

2) A workflow of developing new collections for Pharo

3) Little tutorial which describes how to bring new collections for Pharo

As you can see, PillarHub will be a platform for my blog, where I will tell you about my faults and victories.
I have no great results for now, but I've tested the main idea of collections development workflow, and now i am well-armed to make something that really matters. Stay tuned to PillarHub, ESUG and smalltalkhub to see the latest progress of the project.

Thanks everyone.

Re: New Pharo Collections

Alexandre Bergel-5
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your enthusiasm. Collections have indeed many rooms for improvement.
Something that I always wanted to try out, is having a morphing abstract data type. You begin with let’s say an ordered collection, and according to what you put in, then it is morphing to a dictionary if necessary.

The Lua programming language has this.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu