New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

12

New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Damien Cassou

Hi,

I've just updated the 2 installers for mac and windows.

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_0.2.4.dmg
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-0.2.4.exe

- the windows installer should have the PharoV30.sources file that was
  missing

- both installers now install the most recent Pharo launcher

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

stepharo
thanks Damien.

Stef

Le 26/3/15 16:46, Damien Cassou a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've just updated the 2 installers for mac and windows.
>
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_0.2.4.dmg
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-0.2.4.exe
>
> - the windows installer should have the PharoV30.sources file that was
>    missing
>
> - both installers now install the most recent Pharo launcher

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

kilon.alios
I was talking with a new Pharo user and she was telling me that PharoLauncher was not working on Windows , glad you manage to fix it. Great work Damien , thanks :)

I am using it on macos , works great .

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've just updated the 2 installers for mac and windows.

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_0.2.4.dmg
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-0.2.4.exe

- the windows installer should have the PharoV30.sources file that was
  missing

- both installers now install the most recent Pharo launcher

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Dmitri Zagidulin
I was -just- about to ask on the list where to download PharoLauncher that I heard being talked about. :)

We don't link to the Mac or Windows builds of it from the Download Pharo page.
The CI links off the SmalltalkHub page, https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/ and https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher-Mac also don't work (give 503 unavailable).

But then I saw this email, so I'm all set!

Dmitri Zagidulin <[hidden email]> writes:

> I was -just- about to ask on the list where to download PharoLauncher that
> I heard being talked about. :)
>
> We don't link to the Mac or Windows builds of it from the Download Pharo
> page.
> The CI link off the mailing list posts (
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher ) doesn't work
> (404).

yes, the launcher job moved from the pharo-contribution CI server to the
pharo CI server.

> The CI links off the SmalltalkHub page,
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/ and
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher-Mac also don't work
> (give 503 unavailable).

I think the errors were temporary. They work now.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
> The CI links off the SmalltalkHub page,
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/ and
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher-Mac also don't work
> (give 503 unavailable).
Should we mirror the artifacts on files.pharo.org and link to there, like we do with images?
Cheers,
Sean

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Damien Cassou wrote
>>> The CI links off the SmalltalkHub page,
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/ and
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Launcher/job/Launcher-Mac also don't work
>>> (give 503 unavailable).
>
> Should we mirror the artifacts on files.pharo.org and link to there, like we
> do with images?

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Ben Coman
Regarding Windows... Last that I looked, the PharoLauncher image is installed into the "Program Files" System Folder.  This causes a problem since when a PharoLauncher Image is saved by a Standard User, they cannot write to the System Folder so Windows *fakes* it and actually writes to a User Fodler, but makes it look like the file is in the System Folder. That is, the Standard User is looking at a Fake System Folder!!

So when as an Administrator you update PharoLauncher by rerunning the installer,  the update happily installs into the System Folder, but the Standard User is still looking at the Fake System Folder, so they only see the old version, not the newly installed version.

This confused me for quite a while - even as an IT Administrator of 15 years.  Its likely to cause chaos and pain for others down the track. So I recommend that the installer be changed so that the PharoLauncher Image is installed into a User Folder - at least by default, and maybe as the only option.

I had meant to fix this in PharoLauncher myself, and also would offer to test it - but unfortunately I currently don't have access to a Windows machine.

cheers -ben

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've just updated the 2 installers for mac and windows.

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_0.2.4.dmg
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-0.2.4.exe

- the windows installer should have the PharoV30.sources file that was
  missing

- both installers now install the most recent Pharo launcher

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Great! Can we add permalinks for latest for each platform? Then we can replace the CI links in the instructions e.g. on StHub...

btw what is PharoLauncher-user-stable-2015.03.20.zip?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Damien Cassou

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Damien Cassou wrote
>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>
> Great! Can we add permalinks for latest for each platform? Then we can
> replace the CI links in the instructions e.g. on StHub...

please do.

> btw what is PharoLauncher-user-stable-2015.03.20.zip?

don't know :-).

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Regarding Windows... Last that I looked, the PharoLauncher image is
> installed into the "Program Files" System Folder.  This causes a problem
> since when a PharoLauncher Image is saved by a Standard User, they cannot
> write to the System Folder so Windows *fakes* it and actually writes to a
> User Fodler, but makes it look like the file is in the System Folder. That
> is, the Standard User is looking at a Fake System Folder!!

that's very strange. Can someone please evaluate this expression on your
Windows box and give us the result?

    PlatformResolver forCurrentPlatform cache

> This confused me for quite a while - even as an IT Administrator of 15
> years.  Its likely to cause chaos and pain for others down the track. So I
> recommend that the installer be changed so that the PharoLauncher Image is
> installed into a User Folder - at least by default, and maybe as the only
> option.

I disagree. The launcher should be installed with other applications.
But the data is per-user. On Ubuntu, the launcher is happily installed
under /usr/share/pharo-launcher and images are download to
~/.cache/Pharo/images.

> I had meant to fix this in PharoLauncher myself, and also would offer to
> test it - but unfortunately I currently don't have access to a Windows
> machine.

I hope someone else will try

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

CyrilFerlicot
PLatformResolver forCurrentPlatform cache return :
File @ C:\Users\Cyril\AddData\Roaming

for me.

On 31 March 2015 at 17:22, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Regarding Windows... Last that I looked, the PharoLauncher image is
> installed into the "Program Files" System Folder.  This causes a problem
> since when a PharoLauncher Image is saved by a Standard User, they cannot
> write to the System Folder so Windows *fakes* it and actually writes to a
> User Fodler, but makes it look like the file is in the System Folder. That
> is, the Standard User is looking at a Fake System Folder!!

that's very strange. Can someone please evaluate this expression on your
Windows box and give us the result?

    PlatformResolver forCurrentPlatform cache

> This confused me for quite a while - even as an IT Administrator of 15
> years.  Its likely to cause chaos and pain for others down the track. So I
> recommend that the installer be changed so that the PharoLauncher Image is
> installed into a User Folder - at least by default, and maybe as the only
> option.

I disagree. The launcher should be installed with other applications.
But the data is per-user. On Ubuntu, the launcher is happily installed
under /usr/share/pharo-launcher and images are download to
~/.cache/Pharo/images.

> I had meant to fix this in PharoLauncher myself, and also would offer to
> test it - but unfortunately I currently don't have access to a Windows
> machine.

I hope someone else will try

Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 31 March 2015 at 17:22, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Regarding Windows... Last that I looked, the PharoLauncher image is
>> > installed into the "Program Files" System Folder.  This causes a problem
>> > since when a PharoLauncher Image is saved by a Standard User, they cannot
>> > write to the System Folder so Windows *fakes* it and actually writes to a
>> > User Fodler, but makes it look like the file is in the System Folder.
>> That
>> > is, the Standard User is looking at a Fake System Folder!!
>>
>> that's very strange. Can someone please evaluate this expression on your
>> Windows box and give us the result?
>>
>>     PlatformResolver forCurrentPlatform cache

> File @ C:\Users\Cyril\AddData\Roaming

looks good to me. So, I don't understand Ben's problem.

>> > This confused me for quite a while - even as an IT Administrator of 15
>> > years.  Its likely to cause chaos and pain for others down the track. So
>> > recommend that the installer be changed so that the PharoLauncher Image
>> is
>> > installed into a User Folder - at least by default, and maybe as the only
>> > option.
>>

>> I disagree. The launcher should be installed with other applications.
>> But the data is per-user. On Ubuntu, the launcher is happily installed
>> under /usr/share/pharo-launcher and images are download to
>> ~/.cache/Pharo/images.
>>
>> > I had meant to fix this in PharoLauncher myself, and also would offer to
>> > test it - but unfortunately I currently don't have access to a Windows
>> > machine.
>>
>> I hope someone else will try
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
> Great! Can we add permalinks for latest for each platform? Then we can
> replace the CI links in the instructions e.g. on StHub...
please do.
I tried but the files don't seem to be copied over to files.pharo.org, even though the console suggests that they are. Additionally, the "cp $generated_dmg.md5sum latest.md5sum" does seem to generate an artifact even though the console doesn't say anything about failing...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Damien Cassou

Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Damien Cassou wrote
>>> Great! Can we add permalinks for latest for each platform? Then we can
>>> replace the CI links in the instructions e.g. on StHub...
>> please do.
>
> I tried but the files don't seem to be copied over to files.pharo.org,

that is strange but I confirm the problem.

> even though the console suggests that they are. Additionally, the "cp
> $generated_dmg.md5sum latest.md5sum" does seem to generate an artifact
> even though the console doesn't say anything about failing...

that is not strange and I fixed it :-). The problem was that
"latest.md5sum" was not matched by the artifact regexp so was not
detected as an artifact. You might want to rename it to something more
mac-ish because there will be other md5sum files for other platforms.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Andreas Wacknitz
Am 01.04.15 um 17:37 schrieb Damien Cassou:
> Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Damien Cassou wrote
>>> please do.
>> I tried but the files don't seem to be copied over to files.pharo.org,
There seems to be a another problem with files.pharo.org, too. I have
checked the pharo vm files
during the last days. Sometimes I see version 420 for Windows, sometimes
I only see version 417 as the latest.
Same for the Linux version. Arent't there multiple servers now? Maybe a
sync problem...

Regards
Andreas

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Marcus Denker-4

> On 01 Apr 2015, at 17:51, Andreas Wacknitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 01.04.15 um 17:37 schrieb Damien Cassou:
>> Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Damien Cassou wrote
>>> I tried but the files don't seem to be copied over to files.pharo.org,
> There seems to be a another problem with files.pharo.org, too. I have checked the pharo vm files
> during the last days. Sometimes I see version 420 for Windows, sometimes I only see version 417 as the latest.
> Same for the Linux version. Arent't there multiple servers now? Maybe a sync problem...

Yes, we need to explicitly flush the CDN cache… I will configure that (maybe not today).

        Marcus

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> You might want to rename it to something more
> mac-ish because there will be other md5sum files for other platforms.
I thought I set it to be named latest.dmg.md5sum. I figured the dmg would make it self-explanatory and mirror the main artifact name. Do you disagree?
Cheers,
Sean

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 31 March 2015 at 17:22, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Regarding Windows... Last that I looked, the PharoLauncher image is
>> > installed into the "Program Files" System Folder.  This causes a problem
>> > since when a PharoLauncher Image is saved by a Standard User, they cannot
>> > write to the System Folder so Windows *fakes* it and actually writes to a
>> > User Fodler, but makes it look like the file is in the System Folder.
>> That
>> > is, the Standard User is looking at a Fake System Folder!!
>>
>> that's very strange. Can someone please evaluate this expression on your
>> Windows box and give us the result?
>>
>>     PlatformResolver forCurrentPlatform cache

> File @ C:\Users\Cyril\AddData\Roaming

looks good to me. So, I don't understand Ben's problem.

>> > This confused me for quite a while - even as an IT Administrator of 15
>> > years.  Its likely to cause chaos and pain for others down the track. So
>> > recommend that the installer be changed so that the PharoLauncher Image
>> is
>> > installed into a User Folder - at least by default, and maybe as the only
>> > option.
>>

>> I disagree. The launcher should be installed with other applications.
>> But the data is per-user. On Ubuntu, the launcher is happily installed
>> under /usr/share/pharo-launcher and images are download to
>> ~/.cache/Pharo/images.

The location of the downloaded images is fine.  It is the location of PharoLauncher's own image that is the problem on windows if the user happens to save the Image.  Try the following on Windows 7+...

1. Install pharo_installer-0.x.x.exe as administrator.

2. Run Pharolauncher as a standard user.

3. Change to development mode, open Playground and type a note to yourself like "This should not show after a reinstall".  Quit Pharolauncher and restart to check it still appears, and quit again.

4. Re-install pharo_installer-0.x.x.exe as administrator (like you might when a newer version is available)

5. Run Pharolauncher as a standard user.
You would expect a fresh image - one that doesn't show the note to yourself,  but I had found (a while ago) that the note still shows, indicating the upgrade effectively failed.

That is a "typical" workflow in a corporate environment, which I expect Pharo would like to target.

So when you:
  * run PharoLauncher as administrator and get the new Pharolauncher, but
  * run PharoLauncher as a standard user and get the old Pharolauncher
you may rightfully ask wtf ?!?  What do you observe?

cheers -ben

>> > I had meant to fix this in PharoLauncher myself, and also would offer to
>> > test it - but unfortunately I currently don't have access to a Windows
>> > machine.
>>
>> I hope someone else will try
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New Pharo-Launcher package for Mac and Windows

Damien Cassou

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> 1. Install pharo_installer-0.x.x.exe as administrator.
>
> 2. Run Pharolauncher as a standard user.
>
> 3. Change to development mode

is the "development mode" something that end-users should use? I'm not
sure. For me, the development mode is for launcher's developers.