New Pharo article at The Cohort

12

New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
Why Pharo Might be the Future of Software Development
<https://blog.appacademy.io/pharo-future-software-development/>

Spread the word.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Pavel Krivanek-3
Please, please, please, stop to write such kind of articles. You are doing a really bad service to us. You can help to Pharo in many other ways. You will not convince people to use Pharo by spitting on everything else.
One fixed typo has incomparably bigger value than blogpost like this.

-- Pavel

Why Pharo Might be the Future of Software Development
<https://blog.appacademy.io/pharo-future-software-development/>

Spread the word.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

SergeStinckwich
And can you remove this sentence:

​​
Pharo is being used to fight Ebola : http://ummisco.github.io/kendrick/

​You cite my research work about KENDRICK, a domain-specific language built in order to analyze epidemiological models.
Thank you for the link, but we never fight Ebola ...
We only participate to a ​hackathon about Ebola in 2014 and we implement some basic Ebola mathematical models in KENDRICK at that time. We never have any impact on Ebola unfortunately.

​Don't spread false informations.
Thank you.​

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Ben Coman
I liked it. Actually I thought it was Richard's most balanced piece to date - except the poke in the cl paragraph.  Something softer like "Pharo might not be right for you, but its worth taking a look at"  would be better.

And for spreading the word, perhaps controversy is better than being ignored - hard to know though.
Duty calls... https://xkcd.com/386/

btw, in the linked study interesting to see that Excel has even better function point efficiency than Smalltalk - which reminds me, Excel provides a workable "Image" analogy. The data shares the same file as the code.

cheers -ben

On 16 November 2017 at 17:07, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please, please, please, stop to write such kind of articles. You are doing a really bad service to us. You can help to Pharo in many other ways. You will not convince people to use Pharo by spitting on everything else.
One fixed typo has incomparably bigger value than blogpost like this.

-- Pavel

Why Pharo Might be the Future of Software Development
<https://blog.appacademy.io/pharo-future-software-development/>

Spread the word.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

NorbertHartl
I just skimmed at it and found that piece

Back to the Future

Everybody has heard of Smalltalk. This venerable programming language has had a long and illustrious history. It was the first programming language to popularize object-oriented programming (or OOP). Remember the famous August 1981 BYTE cover?

Just to add my personal statistics. I would say that about 2% of all developers I talk to know that there is programming language called Smalltalk. And somewhat like 8% of all are older than that mentioned magazine. So to me that sounds rather strange.
But even more important is that I don't understand why people always talk about the future when the only thing they do is telling the past.

I think we are better than this.

Norbert

Am 16.11.2017 um 05:13 schrieb horrido <[hidden email]>:

Why Pharo Might be the Future of Software Development
<https://blog.appacademy.io/pharo-future-software-development/>

Spread the word.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
This post was updated on .
I appreciate all the feedback, even the negative comments. Let me address
some of them...

First of all, you need to understand that this article, like nearly all of
my other articles, is about /marketing/. I've never made any bones about
this.

If you know anything about marketing, you know that it involves exaggeration
and hyperbole. It sometimes involves bending the truth. The point of
marketing is to persuade on an emotional level, not a logical one.

This is exactly what companies like Apple and Microsoft do. If you think
Apple ads tell the absolute truth, then you are terribly naive.

So, is Pharo being used to fight Ebola? Not exactly, but who cares? I'm
trying to change people's perception. I'm trying to *move* them. If I have
to exaggerate, I will do so.

Has everybody heard of Smalltalk? Of course not. And it doesn't matter. I'm
taking /literary licence/. As a writer and a marketer, I am allowed to do
this.

Second, the article hasn't been published yet that pleases everybody. I
accept that some people may not like what I've written, and that's perfectly
fine.

What's not perfectly fine is if the majority of readers are turned off by my
article. I do not believe this is the case. I have published literally
hundreds of Smalltalk articles over the past three years, most of them on
Medium, and I've tracked responses and viewership. As far as I can tell,
these articles have been generally well-received. I have something of a fan
base!

Something else that I've been told: marketing to programmers will not work
because they are too smart for that. What a load of bullcrap! Programmers
are human beings, and all human beings are susceptible to marketing. My
Smalltalk campaign over the past three years has proven that it works.

So why should I stop?

Third,...

> You will not convince people to use Pharo by spitting on everything else.

What am I spitting on? I claim that the way everybody has been doing
programming, ie, with file-based languages, has not been ideal for
productivity. That's not insulting. That's just the truth.

Isn't that why we use Pharo (Smalltalk)? For productivity reasons?

> But even more important is that I don't understand why people always talk
> about the future when the only thing they do is telling the past.

The future is always based on the past. There is no future if you ignore the
past (and the present).

Again, the reason for bringing up BYTE magazine is to move people. And it
seems to work.

Telling people about how Smalltalk was once a high flyer in the 1990s and
that IBM chose Smalltalk as the centrepiece of their VisualAge enterprise
initiative to replace COBOL also works.

Giving this information to people will offer some comfort and confidence
that choosing Pharo won't be a mistake.

If my marketing campaign is hurting Smalltalk and Pharo, you'll have to show
me the evidence. If you can, then I will stop. I am only here to serve you.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Ben Coman
I'm not going to ask you to stop writing.  I think its difficult to get the balance right,
and I think you are improving every time. But there are some points to consider...

On 18 November 2017 at 11:55, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
I appreciate all the feedback, even the negative comments. Let me address
some of them...

First of all, you need to understand that this article, like nearly all of
my other articles, is about /marketing/. I've never made any bones about
this.

If you know anything about marketing, you know that it involves exaggeration
and hyperbole. It sometimes involves bending the truth. The point of
marketing is to persuade on an emotional level, not a logical one.

This is exactly what companies like Apple and Microsoft do. If you think
Apple ads tell the absolute truth, then you are terribly naive.

That is Apple and Microsoft talking about *themselves* to the present the image *they* want.
But you discuss the work of other people, which impacts their self-image,
and it behooves you to consider that impact on them.

So, is Pharo being used to fight Ebola? Not exactly, but who cares? I'm
trying to change people's perception. I'm trying to *move* them. If I have
to exaggerate, I will do so.

Case in point.

Has everybody heard of Smalltalk? Of course not. And it doesn't matter. I'm
taking /literary licence/. As a writer and a marketer, I am allowed to do
this.

It could be easy for your audience to mistake that you represent Pharo.
So the people whose work you write about can feel impacted by any exaggeration you use.

A strategy could be to distinguish yourself as an enthusiastic user
rather than a core developer, which would likely improve the authenticity for both parties.

Consider that in a world where we a constantly marketed to,
the sensitivity of your audience to Signals & Noise in your message...

Second, the article hasn't been published yet that pleases everybody. I
accept that some people may not like what I've written, and that's perfectly
fine.

What's not perfectly fine is if the majority of readers are turned off by my
article. I do not believe this is the case. I have published literally
hundreds of Smalltalk articles over the past three years, most of them on
Medium, and I've tracked responses and viewership. As far as I can tell,
these articles have been generally well-received. I have something of a fan
base!

Something else that I've been told: marketing to programmers will not work
because they are too smart for that. What a load of bullcrap! Programmers
are human beings, and all human beings are susceptible to marketing. My
Smalltalk campaign over the past three years have proven that it works.

So why should I stop?

Third,...

> You will not convince people to use Pharo by spitting on everything else.

What am I spitting on? I claim that the way everybody has been doing
programming, ie, with file-based languages, has not been ideal for
productivity. That's not insulting. That's just the truth.

Isn't that why we use Pharo (Smalltalk)? For productivity reasons?

General statements about functionality are not so problematic.
Its more when being specific about "Pharo is better than languages X and Y"
which may create a barrier to for people that love X or Y from listening to your message.

HTH
cheers -ben

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Hans

Hi,

my personal opinion to this topic is: I’m say thanks to everyone who is enganged in Pharo and better ways of thinking and writing software. That‘s first. Yes we are living in a time where words are analysed, interpreted and instrumenatlized for own purposes. People seems to look more to what they can take out from a wording for their own purpose than trying to understand what the author wanted to say. The other thing is, not everyone is a educated writer from the beginning. So helping together to „spread the word“ in a manner which has the best chances to be understand right, help together to become better writer and communicater is my suggestion. Statements like „stop writing“ does‘nt help, I think.

Having said this  and related to the basic Statements below, I agree much with Ben.

Cheers

Hans

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Pavel Krivanek-3
Yes, people are emotional entities and good marketing should work with that, but it needs to be done carefully. I'll give you three examples:

1) Imagine you are an Apple user who bought a very expensive iPhone X one week ago, you spent next hundreds of dollars on applications you bought over last decade and someone will want to try to tell you that you should switch to a new different super-cool mobile platform. He will start with assertions that Apple users are sheeps that use overpriced crap, then he will argue that his mobile platform is great because it is actually very old (maybe older than you), it was used a lot in times when this industry was in nappies and big companies of that time that you always considered to be dinosaurs used them. Then he will provide some vague numbers that should prove that users of his platform are more productive (without any real example of why it is like that), that the users of this platform like it and in the end he will tell you that someone used that phones to call ambulance and saved some lives.

People are emotional and they like to feel smart. Would you have positive feeling about this new platform?

Ask yourself what would convince you in shoes of such Apple user. Probably the first think you want to hear is that your current applications will work on the new platform. That you will not need to learn much, that it has all the features of the Apple software and that it solves this and this particular issue you have. And that you will save money. If you are the person who wants to sell the new phone and you know that you cannot tell that because it is not truth, than you need to be really nice and positive to make the people at least consider trying your phone when they will change it.

2) Imagine that you are a car driver that uses it for daily commuting and some will come and tell you that you should use a bicycle instead of it. That bicycles that people stopped to use in half of the last century and switched to cars. You think about them that they are obsolete, something that only children and poor or strange people use, it is dangerous to drive them in the traffic, you need to breath the polluted air, hear all the traffic noise, you are sweating and you are not covered from the rain, cold or hot sun.

Then you probably do now want to hear that all the dangers, polluted air, noise and so on are not in fact disadvantages of bicycles but disadvantages of cars. You need to listen possitive arguments
.
3) Imagine you are a Pharo user and some wants you to switch to Self that is superior to Smalltalk in many areas you mention in your articles. What he would need to do to convince you?

People in IT have in general very negativistic approach. When they see a new technology they are trying to find reasons why to do not invest into learning of it. So rather than looking at advantages they will check all disadvantages twice. Some of them feel good and smart if they find some mistake in the articles so totry to lie to them can be very counterproductive.

The interview with Stef was a great way how to promote Pharo. Look at the rating and comments to your last article: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7d9uz2/why_pharo_might_be_the_future_of_software/

If it is not the prove for you that you are doing something wrong then continue. But then be not surprised that even the Smalltalkers will downvolt your writings.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

> [...]

> But even more important is that I don't understand why people always talk
> about the future when the only thing they do is telling the past.

The future is always based on the past. There is no future if you ignore the
past (and the present).

Again, the reason for bringing up BYTE magazine is to move people. And it
seems to work.

Telling people about how Smalltalk was once a high flyer in the 1990s and
that IBM chose Smalltalk as the centrepiece of their VisualAge enterprise
initiative to replace COBOL also works.

Giving this information to people will offer some comfort and confidence
that choosing Pharo won't be a mistake.

If my marketing campaign is hurting Smalltalk and Pharo, you'll have to show
me the evidence. If you can, then I will stop. I am only here to serve you.

kilon.alios

First of all, you need to understand that this article, like nearly all of
my other articles, is about /marketing/. I've never made any bones about
this.

If you know anything about marketing, you know that it involves exaggeration
and hyperbole. It sometimes involves bending the truth. The point of
marketing is to persuade on an emotional level, not a logical one.

This is exactly what companies like Apple and Microsoft do. If you think
Apple ads tell the absolute truth, then you are terribly naive.

So, is Pharo being used to fight Ebola? Not exactly, but who cares? I'm
trying to change people's perception. I'm trying to *move* them. If I have
to exaggerate, I will do so.

Actually there is a guy that I know that he actually cares

very much

he is called

"Mr Law"

When a marketing , bends the truth and especially when it lies under UK, Greek  and European Law is called "fraud" and it punishable under crimininal (jail time) and civil (compensation for damaged cause by fraudalent marketing) law. The penalties can be extemely severe if the fraud caused a substantial amount of damage in some way.

Under those legal systems I have studied (I am a lawyer) the only case that someone is allowed to lie is when he defiends himself. If you ever wondered how its possible lawyers to lie , now you know. Lying and bending the truth in this case is a legal principe set since ancient times by law to provide extra pressure to prove the a party is guilty. Its called "proof beyond reasonable doubt" and is  a very important legal principle.

Outside that, say I submited a document as a defense lawyer that is edited or changed in some way , its fraud and especially fraud against the court is even more punished. If a witeness , exaggerates , bends the truth and especially if he or she lies, its fraud and the court can send him straigh to jail with his lawyer.

Apple certainly does not do what you.

Actually Apple goes to great lenghts proving its claims , usually when Apple says "iPhone has a battery of 10 hours" you will see an asterisk that will point you to small letters in the bottom of the page that says exactly under which conditions 10 hours can be achieved.

On the other hand its use of words like "magical" is not of objective value and by no means can misled or tell a lie because well, magic does not exist. The law assumes the a person has at least average intelligence and knowledge (exceptions of course people with mental disablities).  Most of the words that Apple uses in the ads that could be considered lies or bend truth are purely subjective terms.

"Your face is now your password. Face ID is a secure and private new way to unlock, authenticate, and pay."

Say some experts come forward and prove that Apple's technology is not safe and especially if they prove that Apple knew it was not safe when it launched it, Apple is liable under law for fraud.

There is of course a lot of illegal marketing out there, fraud after all is according to my experience the most common offenses that I have came accross in my 10 years carrier as a lawyer , but I can assure you just it may happen quite often does not make it any less illegal. You going to be shocked how many illegal things happens on the internet and the law's complexity and sophistication in providing protection against those things.

Of course I am not saying that someone is going to bother sue you tommorow, as its highly unlikely that someone will take your posts seriously as they are dominated by exaggerations and I have told you so many times in the past. But that does not mean he cannot.

Maybe USA law is more relaxed, because it not the most respected legal system, as USA has a notorious bad record with human right and consumer protection. But none the less I can promise you in Europe, what you do is not legal and there are special legislation to protect consumers for these scenarios.

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
This post was updated on .
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is
not being talked about."
Oscar Wilde

Smalltalk was on the verge of being forgotten. Now, people talk about it.
Some may be turned off, I have no doubt. Some are curious; some are
intrigued, enough to actually try Pharo (Smalltalk). How do I know this?

Because they've told me directly! They've told me that they had never heard
of Smalltalk (speaking to Norbert's point), and that they will take a
serious look at it.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe, but the results would suggest otherwise.
Let's suppose I am doing something wrong. What can I do about it? This is my
style of writing; it reflects who I am, like it or not. Am I supposed to
change who I am?

Frankly, I cannot change my style. It's just not gonna happen. The only
alternative is for me to stop doing what I'm doing.

Well, maybe I should, anyway. It's been a long campaign and I'm very tired.
Marketing Smalltalk is bloody hard work. Perhaps one of you can take over?

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

aglynn42

It is, according to various citations  (CiteSeer) etc., being used to fight measles.  Maybe not as flashy, but at least it’s true.

Andrew Glynn

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

aglynn42

I have written a few articles on Medium, largely about the state of the software industry as a whole, the way disruptive software disrupts its own industry.  However most of the articles mention Smalltalk and Pharo in particular as having a good blend of being able to build-on what’s been done, while not standing still itself.

Some of the less journalistic pieces are also on academia.edu.

https://medium.com/@dasein42

cheers

Andrew Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

aglynn42

Here’s a list of the articles @ https://medium.com/@dasein42/latest, in case any catch your eye:

Latest

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 14

“Dynamics Trumps Semantics”: Why Java is Easy to Learn, but Difficult to be Good at.

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 8

IoT Initiative — “little brother”

The core notion behind “little brother” is to overcome the inevitable lag between the increase in…

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 7

Software Developer Tooling: Then and Now

While my criticisms of current tooling for development are often met with an attitude of…

Read more…

6

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 5

The Inverted Ambiguity of the Post-Modern Public, or Not

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 5

Someone Was Asking About Devops …

Someone I know was asking me about devops the other day, particularly the number and variety of…

Read more…

5

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 5

Reality and the ‘Simple’ True, or the True-in-Itself, or the Truth

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 5

What is Intended by the term “Object-Oriented”?

Read more…

1

1 response

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 4

Pharo Smalltalk as a DSL Without a DSL

If anyone has written a DSL in Eclipse, for example, simply the base projects Eclipse…

Read more…

22

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 4

Tooling: Design of Meta and Underlying Rationale

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 2

How the Results of Disruption Changes the Discussion Between Aficionados of Specific Languages and Environments

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 2

Disrupted Software the Disrupted Software Industry Uses to Build Disruptive Software

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 2

Software is Virtual; the Virtual is Disruptive; Software Disrupts the Development of Software

Read more…

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Nov 2

Three Comments from a Conversation on a Mailing List

Read more…

10

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Oct 28

Reasons … and Reasons , How the Software Industry Turns its Issues into Subscriptions

Read more…

12

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Oct 19

A Commentary On Three Quotes From “Working on the Go Team at Google”

(https://medium.com/@ljrudberg/working-on-the-go-team-at-google-917b2c8d35ff)

“First, a little bit about myself: I am 23 years old, less than two years out of my undergrad degree at UW…

Read more…

1 response

Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn

Andrew Glynn

Oct 11

Building-With Versus Building-On:

Improving Software Development Incrementally

Three articles and a doctoral thesis that I came across or had pointed out to me recently deal with the state of the software industry from different angles. However different they are, they do relate, and by putting them…

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Brad Selfridge
I’m starting to get really annoyed with all the naysayers within our own community that seem to pick apart every dot and tittle of any article this man produces. It seems as though people don’t really care whether the Smalltalk community grows or dies. I view pretty much any news as goods news as long as it pushes the narrative and creates exposure.

Ps. Being from the US, I take direct offense to the political mud that is slung at us. This kind of tripe has NO place on this forum and needs an instant retraction.

Brad Selfridge

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
Looks like we may have a taker! You're my Doctor Who regeneration. :-)

I'm in earnest. If someone can take over the marketing duties, I'll be glad
to step down. I just don't want to see Smalltalk slip back into obscurity.

Remember what marketing is all about:attracting eyeballs; raising curiosity;
precipitating discussion; appealling to emotionality.

Marketing is not about pumping out technical articles. We've seen plenty of
those over the years and they've done squat to promote Smalltalk.

Can anyone show me one technical article in the past 20 years that has
garnered more than 10,000 pageviews? I've published eight such articles in
the past 3 years!

I want someone to continue doing this. Publish articles on a regular basis
that draw attention to Pharo and Smalltalk. Inspire interest. Get them
excited. Make Pharo the next iPhone!

aglynn42 wrote

> [...]
>
> Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn
> Andrew Glynn
> Oct 19
> A Commentary On Three Quotes From “Working on the Go Team at Google”
> (https://medium.com/@ljrudberg/working-on-the-go-team-at-google-917b2c8d35ff)
> “First, a little bit about myself: I am 23 years old, less than two years
> out of my undergrad degree at UW…
> Read more…
>
> 1 response
> Go to the profile of Andrew Glynn
> Andrew Glynn
> Oct 11
> Building-With Versus Building-On:
> Improving Software Development Incrementally
> Three articles and a doctoral thesis that I came across or had pointed out
> to me recently deal with the state of the software industry from different
> angles. However different they are, they do relate, and by putting them…

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 18 Nov 2017, at 18:19, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can anyone show me one technical article in the past 20 years that has
garnered more than 10,000 pageviews? I've published eight such articles in
the past 3 years!

Views or reads ?

Popularity is not necessarily an indication of quality, but yes, it is possible to reach such numbers by writing technical articles. Here are the current stats of 3 of my articles on Medium:

I do not know what marketing to programmers means, or if it is really possible. In my opinion the best we can do is to clearly and accurately describe how things are, why we use and like Pharo, and hope people are interested enough to explore further on their own. And to build an excellent system, of course.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
Yes, I've even cited your excellent "Elegant Pharo Code" article on several
occasions. Okay, perhaps I'm wrong about the number of pageviews.

Nevertheless, prior to my campaign, hardly anyone talked about Smalltalk.
That was my essential point.

By the way, I am gratified that at Medium, I have nearly 1,900 followers. I
realize that's not a huge number, since many other Medium authors have tens
of thousands of followers, but it's far above the average. That means I have
considerable reach.

I can get people talking! And that's not a bad thing. Let's keep the
conversation going...

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 18 Nov 2017, at 18:19, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone show me one technical article in the past 20 years that has
>> garnered more than 10,000 pageviews? I've published eight such articles
>> in
>> the past 3 years!
>
> Views or reads ?
>
> Popularity is not necessarily an indication of quality, but yes, it is
> possible to reach such numbers by writing technical articles. Here are the
> current stats of 3 of my articles on Medium:
>

> I do not know what marketing to programmers means, or if it is really
> possible. In my opinion the best we can do is to clearly and accurately
> describe how things are, why we use and like Pharo, and hope people are
> interested enough to explore further on their own. And to build an
> excellent system, of course.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> Proudly supporting Pharo
> http://pharo.org
> http://association.pharo.org
> http://consortium.pharo.org
>

> Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 18.40.55.png (57K)
> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/5029420/0/Screen%20Shot%202017-11-18%20at%2018.40.55.png&gt;

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

Richard I think that there is possibility to create a more constructive
conversation while promoting Pharo. Ben Coman has give his balanced view
pairing constructive criticism with advice, Sven and Andrew have given
some post examples, written by them, that help to give better coverage
to Smalltalk and Pharo, while providing technical or factual accuracy. I
don't think this needs to be a fight over style. Having a community that
reads and criticize you is important and while you can keep your style
and work, you could also see if some of those critics and advice can
help you to improve as a writer. I'm not a native English speaker and
having constant Ben's advice, proof reading and encouragement, for
example, has been pretty worthy. I try to improve from the feedback I
get from this (generally) supportive community.

What is the point of writing, reading and talking then, if we're not
willing to change?

Cheers,

Offray

On 18/11/17 13:38, horrido wrote:

> Yes, I've even cited your excellent "Elegant Pharo Code" article on several
> occasions. Okay, perhaps I'm wrong about the number of pageviews.
>
> Nevertheless, prior to my campaign, hardly anyone talked about Smalltalk.
> That was my essential point.
>
> By the way, I am gratified that at Medium, I have nearly 1,900 followers. I
> realize that's not a huge number, since many other Medium authors have tens
> of thousands of followers, but it's far above the average. That means I have
> considerable reach.
>
> I can get people talking! And that's not a bad thing. Let's keep the
> conversation going...
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 18 Nov 2017, at 18:19, horrido &lt;
>> horrido.hobbies@
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Can anyone show me one technical article in the past 20 years that has
>>> garnered more than 10,000 pageviews? I've published eight such articles
>>> in
>>> the past 3 years!
>> Views or reads ?
>>
>> Popularity is not necessarily an indication of quality, but yes, it is
>> possible to reach such numbers by writing technical articles. Here are the
>> current stats of 3 of my articles on Medium:
>>

>> I do not know what marketing to programmers means, or if it is really
>> possible. In my opinion the best we can do is to clearly and accurately
>> describe how things are, why we use and like Pharo, and hope people are
>> interested enough to explore further on their own. And to build an
>> excellent system, of course.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org
>>

>> Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 18.40.55.png (57K)
>> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/5029420/0/Screen%20Shot%202017-11-18%20at%2018.40.55.png&gt;

Re: New Pharo article at The Cohort

horrido
> Apple certainly does not do what you.

Really??? I don't know what kind of ads Apple runs in Europe, but in North
America, it's very obvious when Apple exaggerates or bends the truth.
Remember those popular "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads from a few years ago? They
had all kinds of exaggerations and half-truths about the benefits of Mac vs
the drawbacks of PC. For example, the Mac OS has never had significant
upgrade problems the way Vista had? Who the hell believes this?

The Mac has many default apps included that obviate the need to buy
additional software? Sorry, that's bullcrap. I do video editing, and I find
the included video editor on the Mac to be too limited and inflexible, so I
have to look for third-party software.

The Mac is better at creative stuff than PC? That, too, is bullcrap.

The Mac is immune to viruses and spyware? No need to comment on this lie.

In my articles, I have never made an outright lie. I've made exaggerations
but that's not against the law. Everything I state always has a grain of
truth. And remember, I am still entitled to literary licence. What does
European law have to say about literary licence?

12