New Pharo based on core 10388

Damien Cassou
I've just released a new Pharo image (as well as a Pharo-web) based on
10388. I've installed NewInspector as the default inspector, please
comment on that choice.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New Pharo based on core 10388

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just released a new Pharo image (as well as a Pharo-web) based on
10388. I've installed NewInspector as the default inspector, please
comment on that choice.

Damien are you talking about Frederic Pluquet work? I put something in a workspace like Smalltalk, right button, "inspect it" but it opens the default inspector.
wasn't new inspector something like those Mac's app (finder?) ?

best,

Mariano

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New Pharo based on core 10388

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

A few random comments on the new image:

(1) in the w2k theme, the pressed state of the browser buttons is "backwards."

(2) When I open the Seaside image for the first time, it complains about a service already running on port 8080 - this is similar (not exactly the same though) as my working image started doing, but I have not loaded any of my code yet.  Something must have changed.

(3) I'm not sure about the new inspector.  I have more or less adapted to the explorer and inspector; this looks like it's trying to do both jobs, and I will have to use it for a while to give a fair opinion.  So far, I _think_ I'll be happier with the current tools.  The last time an inspector really got my attention was a "diving inspector" that was ported to Dolphin a while back.  The idea is that a double click/enter on an instance variable would alter the contents of the inspector, not open a new one, and there was a way to back up to any previous levels, one at a time.

(4) The new default tool selections are greatly appreciated from a performance perspective.  I'm on xp in my office at the moment, and it is reasonably snappy.  I like for an IDE to be blazing on even remotely reasonable hardware, leaving cycles free to do useful work for me and my victims (make that customers<g>).  There is room for improvement, but I think our "marketing" will no longer be swimming upstream.  FWIW, I still think you should reconsider fast drag - enabling it makes a HUGE difference when moving and resizing windows.

Bill

I've just released a new Pharo image (as well as a Pharo-web) based on 10388. I've installed NewInspector as the default inspector, please comment on that choice.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry

2009/7/24 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Damien are you talking about Frederic Pluquet work? I put something in a
> workspace like Smalltalk, right button, "inspect it" but it opens the
> default inspector.
> wasn't new inspector something like those Mac's app (finder?) ?

Yes, I'm talking about Frédéric Pluquet's inspector. I confirm it
works for me on pharo-0.1-10388dev09.07.04. Could you please check
that you are using latest image and did not change anything?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New Pharo based on core 10388

Damien Cassou
Hi Bill,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> (1) in the w2k theme, the pressed state of the browser buttons is "backwards."

could you please report an issue on the tracker and assign it to gazzaguru?

> (2) When I open the Seaside image for the first time, it complains about a service already running on port 8080 - this is similar (not exactly the same though) as my working image started doing, but I have not loaded any of my code yet.  Something must have changed.

I think this is a problem with Seaside and I saw something related on
the mailing list already. Could you please report that on the Seaside
mailing list.

> (3) I'm not sure about the new inspector.  I have more or less adapted to the explorer and inspector; this looks like it's trying to do both jobs, and I will have to use it for a while to give a fair opinion.  So far, I _think_ I'll be happier with the current tools.  The last time an inspector really got my attention was a "diving inspector" that was ported to Dolphin a while back.  The idea is that a double click/enter on an instance variable would alter the contents of the inspector, not open a new one, and there was a way to back up to any previous levels, one at a time.

Could you please play with it for some time and report later what's
your opinion about it? You can also send feature requests to Frédéric
Pluquet who implemented all features ever requested yet.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New Pharo based on core 10388

Gary Chambers-4

wrote:
> (1) in the w2k theme, the pressed state of the browser buttons is
> "backwards."

could you please report an issue on the tracker and assign it to gazzaguru?

-----

Seems to be the old OB bugs/features for reporting the button state as "on"
when it should really mean "enabled".
Thought this had been fixed some time ago by David Röthlisberger.
Perhaps an older/different version of OB is being used.
Applies to any theme, not just W2K.

Regards, Gary