New Text Completion suggestions

12

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

kilon
I will have to agree. I come from blender the 3d application and up to version 2.49 blender did not allow modfiable shortcuts and if you have used a 3d app you know how crucial shortcuts are . Well I knew a lot of people that did not use blender only because of this. In 2.5 blender developer was clear that realised their mistakes and one of the correction was the addition of modifiable shortcuts. Guess what where the sets of shortcuts first released. 3dstudio max and maya, obviously because most people have been coming from those applications.

Frankly I dont trust an application or its developers to tell me what is a good shortcut for me. Oh by the way I come from emacs, and emacs shortcuts suck big time :D ... still I love emacs but I would not use it if it did not allow me to modify those shortcuts.And as you might guessed I did not use Blender before 2.5 for the same reason.

Having a standard set of shortcuts is the easy way for documentation and tutorials, but generally speeking the first thing a user tends to customise in application is the shortcuts. Because people have diffirent needs and use diffirent parts of application.

On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> So you're saying modifiable keyboard shortcuts are a bad design?

not necessarily but I prefer to have a good default :) so that I do not have to do it.

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

EstebanLM

On Aug 24, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> So you're saying modifiable keyboard shortcuts are a bad design?
>
> not necessarily but I prefer to have a good default :) so that I do not have to do it.

+1 for configurations
+1 for a good default

> Stef

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

Camillo the system should be like that

        - user can define to use a map
                vim
                emacs
                customizable
                + pharo

        for Pharo we need to have a good default.

To me the remarks of henrik make sense:
        the pop up should not stay
        using arrows should not pop up something on the left of the screen
        after I really understand that enter is not suited for completion just because of the simple scenario
        that doru mentioned. but if people cannot leave with enter why not having an option

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 24 Aug 2012, at 10:07, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>>
>>> So you're saying modifiable keyboard shortcuts are a bad design?
>>
>> not necessarily but I prefer to have a good default :) so that I do not have to do it.
>
> +1 for configurations
> +1 for a good default

Yes, +agree

But also, +igor Smalltalk editing is not big text shuffling, we can and should do what is best for ourselves.

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

EstebanLM
what Doru says makes sense... but in the other side, all the IDEs in the world use enter for completion.
We should also welcome newcomers... so, I vote for enter or better, a configuration.

Esteban

On Aug 24, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Camillo the system should be like that
>
> - user can define to use a map
> vim
> emacs
> customizable
> + pharo
>
> for Pharo we need to have a good default.
>
> To me the remarks of henrik make sense:
> the pop up should not stay
> using arrows should not pop up something on the left of the screen
> after I really understand that enter is not suited for completion just because of the simple scenario
> that doru mentioned. but if people cannot leave with enter why not having an option
>
> Stef

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

Esteban A. Maringolo
EstebanLM wrote
what Doru says makes sense... but in the other side, all the IDEs in the world use enter for completion.
We should also welcome newcomers... so, I vote for enter or better, a configuration.
+1 Good default
+1 "presets" (vi, emacs, other dialects, etc).

The first thing I did when moving from Squeak to Visual Age was to define Squeak shortcuts in VA (alt-m, alt-n, and so on). Then we've been developing several years with Dolphin, so we added its shortcuts even to VisualSmalltalk!

I.e. I love Dolphin's debugger shortcuts, they're almost the same as the ones in Chrome's JS debugger, VisualStudio, an IE9 JS debugger.
When debugging I don't have to think about it, i just press press F10 to step (or Shift+F10 to step through blocks) or F11 to step into. And it is almost the same in all the debuggers I use.

Regards!

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

> what Doru says makes sense... but in the other side, all the IDEs in the world use enter for completion.

may be we are talking about difference change proposition/select one.