New Text Completion suggestions

Torsten Bergmann
1. In Pharo if you expand a keyword message like #replaceAll:with:
   the cursor is set already to the first argument (so one can continue
   typing) but to enter the second argument one has to move left using
   arrow keys "manually".
   How often you have to move left is dependent on the size of the
   second word part of the message selector. Why not just TAB to set
   the cursor to the next argument.

2. What I also really miss compared to other IDE's for completion
   are "custom completion templates". So in Eclipse by default
   there is a "sysout" template. It's enough to write "sys"
   and by expanding this ends up in

     System.out.println("")

   where the cursor is already between the double quotes
   to continue typing.

   The templates can be defined using placeholders and TAB
   brings you to the next one to be filled out.

   This video demonstrated this (at around 4:20):
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXUMhRkn9g

3. AFAIK VisualWorks is modified to also have "non-Smalltalk" code
   on methods - so you can store resources on methods and the
   editor can be different depending on content type.

   I would like to see Pharo having a similar feature to better
   support non-Smalltalk content within the image.

   So one can imagine a styled CSS editor for Seaside resources
   with CSS tag completion, XML editor with completion depending
   on XSL type definitions, SQL editor with completion, ...

   Not that we should support all these completion types/grammars
   but at least have an open framework to plugin such mechanisms
   in custom editors/completions.

I know this is a lot of work ... but as a suggestion we should
discuss if this is a direction we want to go (or just have a
good Smalltalk editor/completion).

Bye
T.

Re: New Text Completion suggestions

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> 1. In Pharo if you expand a keyword message like #replaceAll:with:
>   the cursor is set already to the first argument (so one can continue
>   typing) but to enter the second argument one has to move left using
>   arrow keys "manually".
>   How often you have to move left is dependent on the size of the
>   second word part of the message selector. Why not just TAB to set
>   the cursor to the next argument.

I would love that

> 2. What I also really miss compared to other IDE's for completion
>   are "custom completion templates". So in Eclipse by default
>   there is a "sysout" template. It's enough to write "sys"
>   and by expanding this ends up in
>
>     System.out.println("")
>
>   where the cursor is already between the double quotes
>   to continue typing.
>
>   The templates can be defined using placeholders and TAB
>   brings you to the next one to be filled out.
>
>   This video demonstrated this (at around 4:20):
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXUMhRkn9g
>
> 3. AFAIK VisualWorks is modified to also have "non-Smalltalk" code
>   on methods - so you can store resources on methods and the
>   editor can be different depending on content type.
>
>   I would like to see Pharo having a similar feature to better
>   support non-Smalltalk content within the image.
>
>   So one can imagine a styled CSS editor for Seaside resources
>   with CSS tag completion, XML editor with completion depending
>   on XSL type definitions, SQL editor with completion, ...
>
>   Not that we should support all these completion types/grammars
>   but at least have an open framework to plugin such mechanisms
>   in custom editors/completions.
>
> I know this is a lot of work ... but as a suggestion we should
> discuss if this is a direction we want to go (or just have a
> good Smalltalk editor/completion).

:)

this is not that we do not have the vision and wishes :)