New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Casey Ransberger-2
Get it here:

http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip

Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Hannes Hirzel
Casey,

may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
now we are at #10529.

Regards
Hannes

On 8/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Get it here:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>
> Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in
> place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.
>
> --
> Casey Ransberger

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Bert Freudenberg
Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...

- Bert -

On 20.09.2010, at 13:01, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Casey,
>
> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
> now we are at #10529.
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>
> On 8/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Get it here:
>>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>>
>> Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in
>> place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.
>>
>> --
>> Casey Ransberger

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Edgar De Cleene

On 9/20/10 8:37 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 20.09.2010, at 13:01, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Casey,
>>
>> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
>> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
>> now we are at #10529.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>
>> On 8/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Get it here:
>>>
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>>>
>>> Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in
>>> place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Casey Ransberger

Maybe you found the two attached useful.
Lets have a more clean saved .image

Edgar

Utilities class-updateFromServerCleanup.st (474 bytes) Download Attachment
Utilities class-updateFromServer.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

espin
Lukas did something very useful IMHO.
http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/

--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
We could (as in "I could help to") adapt the scripts for a hudson
build server that Lukas and others have written for building pharo and
seaside images?!

Alex

2010/9/20 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 20.09.2010, at 13:01, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Casey,
>>
>> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
>> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
>> now we are at #10529.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>
>> On 8/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Get it here:
>>>
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>>>
>>> Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in
>>> place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Casey Ransberger

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Bert Freudenberg
Please do.

- Bert -

On 20.09.2010, at 14:29, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> We could (as in "I could help to") adapt the scripts for a hudson
> build server that Lukas and others have written for building pharo and
> seaside images?!
>
> Alex
>
> 2010/9/20 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> On 20.09.2010, at 13:01, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> Casey,
>>>
>>> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
>>> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
>>> now we are at #10529.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Bert Freudenberg
Right. Someone just needs to Do It :)

- Bert -

On 20.09.2010, at 14:28, Enrico Spinielli wrote:

> Lukas did something very useful IMHO.
> http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 13:37, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> On 20.09.2010, at 13:01, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> Casey,
>>>
>>> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
>>> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
>>> now we are at #10529.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes

> --
> Enrico Spinielli
> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Casey Ransberger-2
It's possible:)

Not sure how much time I'll have tonight, but I'll cut one if I can.

On Sep 20, 2010, at 4:01 AM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> may I ask you if it is possible to do a new trunk image? The last one
> is of August 20th with #10382, the one before is May, 25th, #10160 and
> now we are at #10529.
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>
> On 8/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Get it here:
>>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>>
>> Also note that I've left the previous build, Squeak4.2-10160-alpha.zip, in
>> place, just in case anyone finds anything terribly wrong with the new one.
>>
>> --
>> Casey Ransberger

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
I'll give it a shot.

Alex

2010/9/20 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Please do.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 20.09.2010, at 14:29, Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>
>> We could (as in "I could help to") adapt the scripts for a hudson
>> build server that Lukas and others have written for building pharo and
>> seaside images?!
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/9/20 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Yanni Chiu
I did it a few months back (http://hudson.jooshr.org/), but eventually I
had to disable the daily building, because I could not maintain it - new
updates would invariably somehow cause a build failure.

Due to differences (at the time) in SUnit between Squeak and Pharo, I
had to hack up the build scripts and select compatible versions of the
automated build code (HudsonBuildTools.mcz). The result today is that
it's neither synced up with the latest Pharo build scripts, nor is it
able to build the latest Squeak. I'll be sync'ing up to the latest build
scripts, shortly, I hope.

If anyone is setting this up, I'd suggest they start with setting up the
equivalent of a one-click build for Squeak. You would provide a
pre-built image for this build, probably built manually using whatever
means are currently used.

You do not need a server to do the build - I run Hudson on my laptop,
doing several builds a day sometimes. You can then upload the result to
the Squeak download area. For whoever is taking on the build task, it
brings consistency and ease.

The next step would be to automate the building of the image from the
updates. The scripting is the easy part, the hard part is a "cultural"
change in the community. Unless contributors are agreeable to unattended
builds (i.e. no UI, or no UI interaction required), the build server
will regularly fail to produce a useful build image. During load and
test, there can be no user dialogs that pop up that require a button press.

--
Yanni

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Right. Someone just needs to Do It :)
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 20.09.2010, at 14:28, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
>
>> Lukas did something very useful IMHO.
>> http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 13:37, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Would be nice if someone set up an automated build system ...
>>>
>>> - Bert -

>> --
>> Enrico Spinielli
>> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
>> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
Yanni,

thanks for the valuable hints. I have hudson up and running. Now I try
to follow Lukas and your instructions hopefully with first results by
the end of the week.

Thanks,
 Alex

2010/9/20 Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:

> I did it a few months back (http://hudson.jooshr.org/), but eventually I had
> to disable the daily building, because I could not maintain it - new updates
> would invariably somehow cause a build failure.
>
> Due to differences (at the time) in SUnit between Squeak and Pharo, I had to
> hack up the build scripts and select compatible versions of the automated
> build code (HudsonBuildTools.mcz). The result today is that it's neither
> synced up with the latest Pharo build scripts, nor is it able to build the
> latest Squeak. I'll be sync'ing up to the latest build scripts, shortly, I
> hope.
>
> If anyone is setting this up, I'd suggest they start with setting up the
> equivalent of a one-click build for Squeak. You would provide a pre-built
> image for this build, probably built manually using whatever means are
> currently used.
>
> You do not need a server to do the build - I run Hudson on my laptop, doing
> several builds a day sometimes. You can then upload the result to the Squeak
> download area. For whoever is taking on the build task, it brings
> consistency and ease.
>
> The next step would be to automate the building of the image from the
> updates. The scripting is the easy part, the hard part is a "cultural"
> change in the community. Unless contributors are agreeable to unattended
> builds (i.e. no UI, or no UI interaction required), the build server will
> regularly fail to produce a useful build image. During load and test, there
> can be no user dialogs that pop up that require a button press.
>
> --
> Yanni
>

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Right. Someone just needs to Do It :)
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> On 20.09.2010, at 14:28, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
>>
>>> Lukas did something very useful IMHO.
>>> http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/

>>> --
>>> Enrico Spinielli
>>> "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
>>> "Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Hannes Hirzel
Alex,

any news on this issue?

You wrote last Monday that you have hudson
(http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Meet+Hudson) up an running
on your local machine?

Do you have a configuration to build a trunk image?

I assume that some people would like to try it out as well.....

Regards
--Hannes

On 9/20/10, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yanni,
>
> thanks for the valuable hints. I have hudson up and running. Now I try
> to follow Lukas and your instructions hopefully with first results by
> the end of the week.
>
> Thanks,
>  Alex
>
> 2010/9/20 Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:
>> I did it a few months back (http://hudson.jooshr.org/), but eventually I
>> had
>> to disable the daily building, because I could not maintain it - new
>> updates
>> would invariably somehow cause a build failure.
>>
>> Due to differences (at the time) in SUnit between Squeak and Pharo, I had
>> hack up the build scripts and select compatible versions of the automated
>> build code (HudsonBuildTools.mcz). The result today is that it's neither
>> synced up with the latest Pharo build scripts, nor is it able to build the
>> latest Squeak. I'll be sync'ing up to the latest build scripts, shortly, I
>> hope.
>>
>> If anyone is setting this up, I'd suggest they start with setting up the
>> equivalent of a one-click build for Squeak. You would provide a pre-built
>> image for this build, probably built manually using whatever means are
>> currently used.
>>
>> You do not need a server to do the build - I run Hudson on my laptop,
>> doing
>> several builds a day sometimes. You can then upload the result to the
>> Squeak
>> download area. For whoever is taking on the build task, it brings
>> consistency and ease.
>>
>> The next step would be to automate the building of the image from the
>> updates. The scripting is the easy part, the hard part is a "cultural"
>> change in the community. Unless contributors are agreeable to unattended
>> builds (i.e. no UI, or no UI interaction required), the build server will
>> regularly fail to produce a useful build image. During load and test,
>> there
>> can be no user dialogs that pop up that require a button press.
>>
>> --
>> Yanni
>>

>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Right. Someone just needs to Do It :)
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
Hannes,

up to now I only had time to install the hudson server (on a virtual
machine) and to look/run the examples provided by Lukas. Next I'm
trying to convert the script that I had to automatically update a
Squeak image (without hudson) into some script that can be used in
combination hudson.

Alex

2010/9/27 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> Alex,
>
> any news on this issue?
>
> You wrote last Monday that you have hudson
> (http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Meet+Hudson) up an running
> on your local machine?
>
> Do you have a configuration to build a trunk image?
>
> I assume that some people would like to try it out as well.....
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>
> On 9/20/10, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yanni,
>>
>> thanks for the valuable hints. I have hudson up and running. Now I try
>> to follow Lukas and your instructions hopefully with first results by
>> the end of the week.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  Alex
>>
>> 2010/9/20 Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:
>>> I did it a few months back (http://hudson.jooshr.org/), but eventually I
>>> had
>>> to disable the daily building, because I could not maintain it - new
>>> updates
>>> would invariably somehow cause a build failure.
>>>
>>> Due to differences (at the time) in SUnit between Squeak and Pharo, I had
>>> hack up the build scripts and select compatible versions of the automated
>>> build code (HudsonBuildTools.mcz). The result today is that it's neither
>>> synced up with the latest Pharo build scripts, nor is it able to build the
>>> latest Squeak. I'll be sync'ing up to the latest build scripts, shortly, I
>>> hope.
>>>
>>> If anyone is setting this up, I'd suggest they start with setting up the
>>> equivalent of a one-click build for Squeak. You would provide a pre-built
>>> image for this build, probably built manually using whatever means are
>>> currently used.
>>>
>>> You do not need a server to do the build - I run Hudson on my laptop,
>>> doing
>>> several builds a day sometimes. You can then upload the result to the
>>> Squeak
>>> download area. For whoever is taking on the build task, it brings
>>> consistency and ease.
>>>
>>> The next step would be to automate the building of the image from the
>>> updates. The scripting is the easy part, the hard part is a "cultural"
>>> change in the community. Unless contributors are agreeable to unattended
>>> builds (i.e. no UI, or no UI interaction required), the build server will
>>> regularly fail to produce a useful build image. During load and test,
>>> there
>>> can be no user dialogs that pop up that require a button press.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yanni

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
At least some progress :)

Build #5 was triggered by my commit to the repository, but it failed
because of a data timeout.
It is pretty slick to trigger a build only if there is a commit, but
the URL-Trigger on the squeak source repository acts immediately if
there is a change and so the build might start while there are some
commits still in progress. I guess a scheduled daily build would be a
little more robust choice.

Next thing I will have a look at, as time permits, is how to run the tests.

Alex

Screenshot-1.jpg (51K) Download Attachment

On 28.09.2010, at 18:03, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> At least some progress :)
>
> Build #5 was triggered by my commit to the repository, but it failed
> because of a data timeout.

Well, nice progress anyway :)

> It is pretty slick to trigger a build only if there is a commit, but
> the URL-Trigger on the squeak source repository acts immediately if
> there is a change and so the build might start while there are some
> commits still in progress. I guess a scheduled daily build would be a
> little more robust choice.

Daily would be sufficient I think. Or start a build when there was no commit within, say, 30 minutes.

> Next thing I will have a look at, as time permits, is how to run the tests.

Way to go!

- Bert -

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
Ok, there you go. Testresults are in. Haven't looked at the lint stuff
yet. But I guess it would be ok if this moves from my laptop to some
squeak server. This is if there are plans to have a 4.2 at all ...

Alex

Screenshot-2.jpg (65K) Download Attachment

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

espin
Very well done!
Bravo!
Bye
Enrico

--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

laza
Lukas Renggli and Yanni Chiu did all the work to build a very flexible
framework and to provide good documentation. For me it was just a
matter of seeing how the bits and pieces work together and write some
Squeak specific scripts.

See:

Yannis Hudson Server at http://hudson.jooshr.org
Lukas Hudson Server at http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch
Sources and Doku at http://github.com/renggli/builder
(MagLev seems to be using it too http://github.com/MagLev/builder)

When I get knack out of github I will try to fork and upload the few
changes I made

Alex