New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
Hi there. I am currently using v8.0 on a new M1 MacBookAir. When I save the image I keep getting a message telling me that my VM is too old and to download a new one. I have looked in my Pharo Launcher but there is no new one there. What do I do please?

David
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Harald V
Hi David,

I do not own a M1 macBook but I read on discord that people are successfully using it.
You might to take a look at :
https://thepharo.dev/2021/02/16/first-apple-m1-pharo-version/
I think that you can download the last version here (instead ot the one given in the link above) :
 http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur64-headless/Darwin-arm64/

I'm afraid you'll need to find a M1 user if these links do not help you (come on discord to find some)

Cheers,

Harald

Le mer. 19 mai 2021 à 01:54, David Pennington <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi there. I am currently using v8.0 on a new M1 MacBookAir. When I save the image I keep getting a message telling me that my VM is too old and to download a new one. I have looked in my Pharo Launcher but there is no new one there. What do I do please?

David

Re: New VM, how do I get it

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi David,

   for M1 we have Pharo 9 compatible VMs, you can download them using Zero Conf or directly.

For the latest:
  - wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90 | bash

For the stable:
  - wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vm90 | bash

If you are scripting the download I recommend using ZeroConf.

For Pharo 8, we don't have a M1 native version, because Pharo 8 requires changes in the image to support the newer VMs. We have plans to backport the changes in the future, now we are putting all efforts in the release of Pharo 9. However, if the community consider it, we can switch priorities but it is not magical; we will need to leave something aside. Also, future versions of the Pharo Launcher will have support for detecting the architecture.

In the meantime, Pharo 8 / 9 can be used without a problem with Rossetta, although the performance is not ideal.

Tell me if you have any problem.
Cheers,
Pablo

Pablo Tesone.

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
I am sorry but, being a newbie to Pharo, a lot of what you say goes over my head.

How do I use Zero Conf?

I have loaded up the latest 9.0 from Pharo launcher. How do I get the <1 VM for that?

Sorry for being stupid.

David
P.S. 31 years a Smalltalker so its just the underlying bits that pass over me - smile.

On 19 May 2021, at 08:38, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

[hidden email]

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Stéphane Ducasse
you execute on a unix shell

On 21 May 2021, at 13:16, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
This is a bit like pulling teeth.

I have done what you said. I now have the following in Terminal

davidpennington@Davids-Air ~ % wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90 | bash
--2021-05-21 15:24:47--  https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90
Resolving get.pharo.org (get.pharo.org)... 2001:41d0:301::23, 164.132.235.17
Connecting to get.pharo.org (get.pharo.org)|2001:41d0:301::23|:443... connected.
Length: 5177 (5.1K)
Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

-                   100%[===================>]   5.06K  --.-KB/s    in 0s

2021-05-21 15:24:47 (823 MB/s) - written to stdout [5177/5177]

Downloading the latest pharoVM:
pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui

Where do I go next?

On 21 May 2021, at 12:31, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
You start an image by typing the following in the Terminal

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

> On 21 May 2021, at 16:31, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a bit like pulling teeth.
>
> I have done what you said. I now have the following in Terminal
>
> davidpennington@Davids-Air ~ % wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90 | bash
> --2021-05-21 15:24:47--  https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90
> Resolving get.pharo.org (get.pharo.org)... 2001:41d0:301::23, 164.132.235.17
> Connecting to get.pharo.org (get.pharo.org)|2001:41d0:301::23|:443... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 5177 (5.1K)
> Saving to: ‘STDOUT’
>
> -                   100%[===================>]   5.06K  --.-KB/s    in 0s
>
> 2021-05-21 15:24:47 (823 MB/s) - written to stdout [5177/5177]
>
> Downloading the latest pharoVM:
> http://files.pharo.org/get-files/90/pharo-vm-Darwin-arm64-latest.zip
> pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
> Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui
>
> Where do I go next?
>

>> On 21 May 2021, at 12:31, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> you execute on a unix shell
>>
>> wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90 | bash

>>> On 21 May 2021, at 13:16, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am sorry but, being a newbie to Pharo, a lot of what you say goes over my head.
>>>
>>> How do I use Zero Conf?
>>>
>>> I have loaded up the latest 9.0 from Pharo launcher. How do I get the <1 VM for that?
>>>
>>> Sorry for being stupid.
>>>
>>> David
>>> P.S. 31 years a Smalltalker so its just the underlying bits that pass over me - smile.

>> Stéphane Ducasse
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
>> 03 59 35 87 52
>> Assistant: Aurore Dalle
>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>> 40, avenue Halley,
>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>> France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
Here is a crop from my Terminal app.

As you can see it has an error. Sorry to keep bothering you but what next please?
David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

David

There is no magic.
You should also consider that pharo-ui is a shell script and that you can also read it and learn.
The vm is an executable and it needs an image and it cannot guess where you put it.

S.

On 22 May 2021, at 18:38, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

<pharo.png>

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
Thank you. I t honk that I have it but how do I know if I have the M1 vm? How do I integrate it with Pharo launcher?

Sent from my Huawei tablet

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Stéphane Ducasse
is your machine a M1?
If this is the case check the email that were sent on how to get the VM.

S.

On 23 May 2021, at 11:54, [hidden email] wrote:

Thank you. I t honk that I have it but how do I know if I have the M1 vm? How do I integrate it with Pharo launcher?

Sent from my Huawei tablet

France

France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
OK, I have V9.0 working. The performance difference is amazing on an Inspect. V8.0 - 3 seconds to respond - V9 - almost instantaneous.

I have got caught up in a simple file operation - I am trying to rename a file and `I have come u with the following difference.

Version 8.0

Version 9.0

So V 9 is different from V 8.0

Is there a fix for this?

David

On 24 May 2021, at 12:18, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Zeroconf should download the M1 vm, buy the pharo launcher does not support that yet.

El lun., 24 may. 2021 13:16, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
is your machine a M1?
If this is the case check the email that were sent on how to get the VM.

S.

On 23 May 2021, at 11:54, [hidden email] wrote:

Thank you. I t honk that I have it but how do I know if I have the M1 vm? How do I integrate it with Pharo launcher?

Sent from my Huawei tablet

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Stéphane Ducasse

On 24 May 2021, at 15:06, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, I have V9.0 working. The performance difference is amazing on an Inspect. V8.0 - 3 seconds to respond - V9 - almost instantaneous.

good to know.
Now we prefer to work with the slow version (old OS) because they kick us to pay attention to speed.
Pharo 90 got many speed up improvements too.

I have got caught up in a simple file operation - I am trying to rename a file and `I have come u with the following difference.

I do not get what is the error.
Do you have a script to reproduce it.
We can only fix what we can reproduce.

S.

Version 8.0
<v8.0.png>

Version 9.0

<v9.0.png>

So V 9 is different from V 8.0

Is there a fix for this?

David

On 24 May 2021, at 12:18, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Zeroconf should download the M1 vm, buy the pharo launcher does not support that yet.

El lun., 24 may. 2021 13:16, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
is your machine a M1?
If this is the case check the email that were sent on how to get the VM.

S.

On 23 May 2021, at 11:54, [hidden email] wrote:

Thank you. I t honk that I have it but how do I know if I have the M1 vm? How do I integrate it with Pharo launcher?

Sent from my Huawei tablet

France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Long Haired David
Sorry yes, I gave you the screen shots without the code.

In V 9.0 if I execute the following

| working stream |
working := FileSystem disk workingDirectory

I get an Inspector on /Users/davidpennington. (Not a File~Reference)

In V 8.0 I get an Inspector on a FileReference (/Users/davidpennington/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)).

As my database relies on disk paths, this is going to create a difference between the two versions which surely should not be so.

[...]

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Look carefully, they are both FileReferences, the UI is different.

Also, explore the difference between the working directory and the image directory:

FileLocator workingDirectory absolutePath.

FileLocator imageDirectory absolutePath.

The working directory depends on how the image was launched. Check out FileLocator for other well-known locations.

> On 24 May 2021, at 18:39, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry yes, I gave you the screen shots without the code.
>
> In V 9.0 if I execute the following
>
> | working stream |
> working := FileSystem disk workingDirectory
>
> I get an Inspector on /Users/davidpennington. (Not a File~Reference)
>
> In V 8.0 I get an Inspector on a FileReference (/Users/davidpennington/Documents/Pharo/images/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit (stable)).
>
> As my database relies on disk paths, this is going to create a difference between the two versions which surely should not be so.
>

>> On 24 May 2021, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 24 May 2021, at 15:06, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I have V9.0 working. The performance difference is amazing on an Inspect. V8.0 - 3 seconds to respond - V9 - almost instantaneous.
>>
>> good to know.
>> Now we prefer to work with the slow version (old OS) because they kick us to pay attention to speed.
>> Pharo 90 got many speed up improvements too.
>>
>>> I have got caught up in a simple file operation - I am trying to rename a file and `I have come u with the following difference.
>>
>> I do not get what is the error.
>> Do you have a script to reproduce it.
>> We can only fix what we can reproduce.
>>
>> S.
>>

>>> Version 8.0
>>> <v8.0.png>
>>>

>>> Version 9.0
>>>
>>> <v9.0.png>
>>>
>>> So V 9 is different from V 8.0
>>>
>>> Is there a fix for this?
>>>
>>> David

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Guillermo Polito

El 24 may 2021, a las 17:38, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:

On 24 May 2021, at 15:06, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, I have V9.0 working. The performance difference is amazing on an Inspect. V8.0 - 3 seconds to respond - V9 - almost instantaneous.

good to know.
Now we prefer to work with the slow version (old OS) because they kick us to pay attention to speed.
Pharo 90 got many speed up improvements too.

I think the speed difference comes from the different VM.
P9 runs natively on M1.
P8 does not run yet natively on the M1, meaning it runs on top of rosetta (which virtualises x86 at the expense of some performance degradation).

I have got caught up in a simple file operation - I am trying to rename a file and `I have come u with the following difference.

I do not get what is the error.
Do you have a script to reproduce it.
We can only fix what we can reproduce.

Take into account that the UI on P9 has been through a huge effort to use Spec2 and a new iteration of the original moldable GT tools on top of Spec2.
That may explain the UI differences too.

S.

Version 8.0
<v8.0.png>

Version 9.0

<v9.0.png>

So V 9 is different from V 8.0

Is there a fix for this?

David

On 24 May 2021, at 12:18, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Zeroconf should download the M1 vm, buy the pharo launcher does not support that yet.

El lun., 24 may. 2021 13:16, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
is your machine a M1?
If this is the case check the email that were sent on how to get the VM.

S.

On 23 May 2021, at 11:54, [hidden email] wrote:

Thank you. I t honk that I have it but how do I know if I have the M1 vm? How do I integrate it with Pharo launcher?

Sent from my Huawei tablet

France

Re: New VM, how do I get it

Stéphane Ducasse

On 24 May 2021, at 22:31, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

El 24 may 2021, a las 17:38, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:

On 24 May 2021, at 15:06, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, I have V9.0 working. The performance difference is amazing on an Inspect. V8.0 - 3 seconds to respond - V9 - almost instantaneous.

good to know.
Now we prefer to work with the slow version (old OS) because they kick us to pay attention to speed.
Pharo 90 got many speed up improvements too.

I think the speed difference comes from the different VM.
P9 runs natively on M1.
P8 does not run yet natively on the M1, meaning it runs on top of rosetta (which virtualises x86 at the expense of some performance degradation).

ah yes of course.
I did not realize both where running on the same machine.