New Version of Pillar on Windows

mldavis99
I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on Windows on
Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise Pharo book:

I created the new file first.pillar containing:  ! Hello World

I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe Pillar.image
pillar export --to=html first.pillar

It created a file named:  output.html.json  containing:
{"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}

It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo para
14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".

Any suggestions what I missed or should do?

mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

stepharong
Hi mike

Was it working before?
I will check on the HTML case (now) because I'm checked the mooc and the
book.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on
> Windows on
> Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise Pharo book:

> I created the new file first.pillar containing:  ! Hello World
>
> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe Pillar.image
> pillar export --to=html first.pillar
>
> It created a file named:  output.html.json  containing:
> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}

this is correct.
It looks like the mustache phase is not applied.

> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo para
> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".
>
> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?

Normally the makefile should invoke mustache to apply a template with as
input such file

> mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

stepharong
Hi mike

I just checked
        - ./download.sh and it took the 50 stable version
        - make
        this created the html

Now on windows you do not have make probably :)
so you should

$(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html: $(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html.json
        ./mustache --data=$< --template=${HTMLTEMPLATE} > $@

invoke ./mustache --data=output.html.json --template==yourhtmltemplate

Tell me if this is working.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on
> Windows on
> Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise Pharo book:
>
> I created the new file first.pillar containing:  ! Hello World
>
> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe Pillar.image
> pillar export --to=html first.pillar
>
> It created a file named:  output.html.json  containing:
> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}
>
> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo para
> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".
>
> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?
>
> mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

mldavis99
Thank you for the quick response.  From what you told me and what I have
seen so far, it will most likely work.  I will have it tested and get back
to you by Monday.  I'm rather swamped today.

I would like to add a comment about this, that ties into another thread with
a comment by Peter: "I would argue that its simply easier to find Mac/Linux
low-level experts and contributors than Windows as the developer culture
(including OSS and contributions) is different."

I agree with Peter that the Windows developer culture, even at the low-level
is different.  I believe that is twofold:  First, use of the Windows command
line and even the Microsoft endorsed PowerShell is seldom used to perform
development work.  Although PowerShell is commonly used for server
administration.  ALSO, and more importantly, the "C" / ADT based language
culture is very, very strong in the U.S.  I believe this was an unfortunate
branch in software development here.  This requires such a strong behavioral
change to switch to a dynamic, object messaging environment like SmallTalk,
that it is typically ignored.  I'm personally pursuing an effort to motivate
local interest in Pharo, in a local open source group to which I belong, for
all the reasons you know well.

 In this particular case, for example, rather than adapting the Linux style
scripts to Windows command line, my first reaction was to attempt to do the
same thing within the Playground after which I would add an appropriate
method or subclass to the Pillar package etc.  Is this too far afield from
where you are going with Pharo?

At any rate, I will get the Windows command line version tested and also a
Windows command line batch file (.bat) which could be circulated along with
the .sh scripts, if you like.

Cheers,

mike

        - ./download.sh and it took the 50 stable version
        - make
        this created the html

Now on windows you do not have make probably :) so you should

$(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html: $(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html.json
        ./mustache --data=$< --template=${HTMLTEMPLATE} > $@

invoke ./mustache --data=output.html.json --template==yourhtmltemplate

Tell me if this is working.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on
> Windows on Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise
> Pharo book:
>
> I created the new file first.pillar containing:  ! Hello World
>
> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe
> Pillar.image pillar export --to=html first.pillar
>
> It created a file named:  output.html.json  containing:
> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}
>
> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo
> para
> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".
>
> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?
>
> mike

FW: New Version of Pillar on Windows

mldavis99
I'm not sure this got through.  I got a bounce back from [hidden email].

        - ./download.sh and it took the 50 stable version
        - make
        this created the html

Now on windows you do not have make probably :) so you should

$(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html: $(OUTPUTDIRECTORY)/%.html.json
        ./mustache --data=$< --template=${HTMLTEMPLATE} > $@

invoke ./mustache --data=output.html.json --template==yourhtmltemplate

Tell me if this is working.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on
> Windows on Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise
> Pharo book:
>
> I created the new file first.pillar containing:  ! Hello World
>
> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe
> Pillar.image pillar export --to=html first.pillar
>
> It created a file named:  output.html.json  containing:
> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}
>
> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo
> para
> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".
>
> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?
>
> mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

mldavis99

Hello Steph,

Thank you and those that helped me on both Slack and Discord.  This turned out to be an obsolescence issue!  Mine and the April 2016 edition of Enterprise Pharo which I was using!!!  Once I was pointed in the right direction, to the most recent edition of the book, everything I needed was there…  Don’t you just love newbies…  :>}  .

You all have created a great learning environment and resources, not to mention evolving the most pleasant rendition of the SmallTalk environment I’ve ever seen. Thank you.

Mike

p.s. (post script):  “You all” is the Southern U.S. English plural of “you” for those who haven’t heard it before.  Don’t adopt it though, it is only a dialect  ;>}.

Hi mike

Was it working before?

I will check on the HTML case (now) because I'm checked the mooc and the book.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on

> Windows on Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise

> Pharo book:

> I created the new file first.pillar containing: ! Hello World

> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe

> Pillar.image pillar export --to=html first.pillar

> It created a file named: output.html.json containing:

> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}

this is correct.

It looks like the mustache phase is not applied.

> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo

> para

> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".

> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?

Normally the makefile should invoke mustache to apply a template with as input such file

> mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

Ben Coman

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 6:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

You all have created a great learning environment and resources, not to mention evolving the most pleasant rendition of the SmallTalk environment I’ve ever seen. Thank you.

Thanks Mike.  Its good to get feedback nice on first impressions.

Mike

p.s. (post script):  “You all” is the Southern U.S. English plural of “you” for those who haven’t heard it before.  Don’t adopt it though, it is only a dialect  ;>}.

I thought that was y'aalll

 cheers -ben

Hi mike

Was it working before?

I will check on the HTML case (now) because I'm checked the mooc and the book.

> I am trying out the new version of Pillar (build 1940 or 1941) on

> Windows on Pharo 50770, following the Pillar tutorial in Enterprise

> Pharo book:

> I created the new file first.pillar containing: ! Hello World

> I ran: C:\Users\mldavis\Desktop\mldPillarWorking>Pharo.exe

> Pillar.image pillar export --to=html first.pillar

> It created a file named: output.html.json containing:

> {"content":"<section>\r\n<h1>1. Hello World</h1>\r\n</section>"}

this is correct.

It looks like the mustache phase is not applied.

> It was supposed to be an HTML document as shown in Enterprise Pharo

> para

> 14.2 page 213 "5 Minutes Tutorial".

> Any suggestions what I missed or should do?

Normally the makefile should invoke mustache to apply a template with as input such file

> mike

Re: New Version of Pillar on Windows

stepharong
Oki

You see I cannot compile the latest version of Entreprise Pharo on my machine.
One day I will go back to it.

Stef