New Website online

12

New Website online

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

The new website is online!

        http://pharo.org

For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.

Thanks a lot to
        Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
        Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
        Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
        and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr

        Marcus

Re: New Website online

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
The new website is online!
Wow! Instantly obvious that Aurelia was involved because it has that "well designed" look instead of our usual "I'm an engineer trying my best" look, lol ;-P
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Website online

EstebanLM
yeah, and don’t forget Nico’s effort :)
I put him real pressure on him last 3 weeks, and he took it without complain… and he did a great work :)

Esteban

On 30 Apr 2014, at 16:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> The new website is online!
>
> Wow! Instantly obvious that Aurelia was involved because it has that "well
> designed" look instead of our usual "I'm an engineer trying my best" look,
> lol ;-P
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: New Website online

Esteban A. Maringolo
> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> The new website is online!
>
> Wow! Instantly obvious that Aurelia was involved because it has that "well
> designed" look instead of our usual "I'm an engineer trying my best" look,
> lol ;-P

+1

The design is really nice. Clean, and with the same color palette as
Pharo itself.
The logo has been flattened to follow latests trends, I like that too.

Congratulations.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: New Website online

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
yeah, and don’t forget Nico’s effort :)
I didn't actually *do* anything with the site yet, just enjoyed the look, so I was saving that praise ;)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Website online

Esteban A. Maringolo
From Reddit, a reader has a good point:

"Ok, but WTF is Pharo? A new OS, A language/gui, A dockeresque
container system, Wordpress clone? What!!!
Novice tip. On your about page include answers to What does it do? Why
would I want it? Don't include a mission statement..."

Maybe we should be more explicit about it.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> The new website is online!
>
>         http://pharo.org
>
> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>
> Thanks a lot to
>         Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
>         Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
>         Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>         and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>

>         Marcus

Lots of white space. Love it.  Its nice to learn there was a designer behind it and whose that was.  All the sites on her portfolio site look great.
cheers -ben

Re: New Website online

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
"Ok, but WTF is Pharo? A new OS, A language/gui, A dockeresque
The pattern from other "cool" language home pages seems to be one sentence with what and why (examples below).

Here's a first take leveraging Simon Sinek's advice to "Start With Why" [1]:
Do you want total, immediate control over your programming and computing experience? Then Pharo is for you. It is a live, dynamic, turtles-all-the-way-down environment (like an IDE and OS rolled into one). Pharo is also a purely object-oriented language. Are you sitting down? The environment is <italics>written in itself</italics>! Pharo is open source, and available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

Examples from other languages:

Ruby is...
A dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write.

Python is a programming language that lets you work quickly
and integrate systems more effectively. Learn More

JavaScript® (often shortened to JS) is a lightweight, interpreted, object-oriented language with first-class functions, most known as the scripting language for Web pages, but used in many non-browser environments as well such as node.js or Apache CouchDB. It is a prototype-based, multi-paradigm scripting language that is dynamic, and supports object-oriented, imperative, and functional programming styles.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioZd3AxmnE @ 4:05
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New Website online

EstebanLM
there you go.
I changed the “why pharo” taking your ides and extending them a bit.
opinions/contributions are welcome :)

Esteban

On 30 Apr 2014, at 17:24, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
>> "Ok, but WTF is Pharo? A new OS, A language/gui, A dockeresque
>
> The pattern from other "cool" language home pages seems to be one sentence
> with what and why (examples below).
>
> Here's a first take leveraging Simon Sinek's advice to "Start With Why" [1]:
> Do you want total, immediate control over your programming and computing
> experience? Then Pharo is for you. It is a live, dynamic,
> turtles-all-the-way-down environment (like an IDE and OS rolled into one).
> Pharo is also a purely object-oriented language. Are you sitting down? The
> environment is <italics>written in itself</italics>! Pharo is open source,
> and available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
>
> Examples from other languages:
>
> Ruby is...
> A dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and
> productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to
> write.
>
> Python is a programming language that lets you work quickly
> and integrate systems more effectively. Learn More
>
> JavaScript® (often shortened to JS) is a lightweight, interpreted,
> object-oriented language with first-class functions, most known as the
> scripting language for Web pages, but used in many non-browser environments
> as well such as node.js or Apache CouchDB. It is a prototype-based,
> multi-paradigm scripting language that is dynamic, and supports
> object-oriented, imperative, and functional programming styles.
>
> [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioZd3AxmnE @ 4:05
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] New Website online

jfabry

Slick! Congrats on the site.

On Apr 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new website is online!
>
> http://pharo.org
>
> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>
> Thanks a lot to
> Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
> Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
> Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
> and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>

> Marcus

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: New Website online

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
One of Simon Sinek's core ideas is that people "buy" your product because they believe what you believe, and that the why needs to come first to suck them in.

Until we decide on the perfect wording, I would at least:
- change the heading from "The live programming environment" to "The immersive programming experience"
- combine the top section and the why section into:
"Pharo gives you immediate and total control over your programming experience. Focused on simplicity, cleanness, and immediate feedback, it is a pure object-oriented programming language <italics>and</italics> a clean, beautiful, innovative environment (think IDE and OS rolled into one). It is open source and available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
because:
- it puts the why first
- someone on reddit specifically said that "environment" doesn't really clear anything up for them; thus "(think IDE and OS rolled into one)"
- moves the most nitty gritty implementation details to the rear (e.g. platform support)

But I would seriously consider my other suggestion (the one starting with "Do you want total, immediate control..."). It may sound a bit cheesy with our engineer hats on, but I've had a lot of marketing/branding training, and bold, emotionally appealing stuff like this is pure gold.

And for the release snippet, I would change from: "Pharo, the programming language, live IDE and core library has a new release!" to maybe "Pharo - the programming language and core library immersed in a live IDE (all written in itself!) - has a new release!" to highlight the key points
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] New Website online

abergel
Yes, well done!!

Alexandre

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slick! Congrats on the site.
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The new website is online!
>>
>> http://pharo.org
>>
>> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
>> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
>> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>>
>> Thanks a lot to
>> Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
>> Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
>> Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>> and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>>

>> Marcus
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Website online

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
+10

I think Sean's suggestions and perspective make a lot of sense. Let's also not forget that he is a native English speaker and we are not. And the whole idea of the new website was mainly about marketing anyway.

On 30 Apr 2014, at 18:04, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of Simon Sinek's core ideas is that people "buy" your product because
> they believe what you believe, and that the why needs to come first to suck
> them in.
>
> Until we decide on the perfect wording, I would at least:
> - change the heading from "The live programming environment" to "The
> immersive programming experience"
> - combine the top section and the why section into:
> "Pharo gives you immediate and total control over your programming
> experience. Focused on simplicity, cleanness, and immediate feedback, it is
> a pure object-oriented programming language <italics>and</italics> a clean,
> beautiful, innovative environment (think IDE and OS rolled into one). It is
> open source and available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
> because:
> - it puts the why first
> - someone on reddit specifically said that "environment" doesn't really
> clear anything up for them; thus "(think IDE and OS rolled into one)"
> - moves the most nitty gritty implementation details to the rear (e.g.
> platform support)
>
> But I would seriously consider my other suggestion (the one starting with
> "Do you want total, immediate control..."). It may sound a bit cheesy with
> our engineer hats on, but I've had a lot of marketing/branding training, and
> bold, emotionally appealing stuff like this is pure gold.
>
> And for the release snippet, I would change from: "Pharo, the programming
> language, live IDE and core library has a new release!" to maybe "Pharo -
> the programming language and core library immersed in a live IDE (all
> written in itself!) - has a new release!" to highlight the key points
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] New Website online

kilon.alios
I love the new website definitely an improvement , don't like the new flatten logo , old one was a very beautiful design. R.I.P

Thanks for including my video "Why Pharo" in the website I feel honoured and thank you for your hard work.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, well done!!

Alexandre

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slick! Congrats on the site.
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The new website is online!
>>
>>      http://pharo.org
>>
>> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
>> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
>> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>>
>> Thanks a lot to
>>      Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
>>      Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
>>      Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>      and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>>

>>      Marcus
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] New Website online

Ben Coman
I really liked your video, I just think a the little bit at the front that shows Amber should be trimmed.  There was a comment on reddit "So it's smalltalk in a browser? "
cheers -ben

kilon alios wrote:
I love the new website definitely an improvement , don't like the new flatten logo , old one was a very beautiful design. R.I.P

Thanks for including my video "Why Pharo" in the website I feel honoured and thank you for your hard work.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, well done!!

Alexandre

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slick! Congrats on the site.
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The new website is online!
>>
>>      http://pharo.org
>>
>> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
>> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
>> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>>
>> Thanks a lot to
>>      Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
>>      Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
>>      Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>      and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>>

>>      Marcus
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Website online

EstebanLM
ok, I have put the first suggestion. I can try the other one too… as you prefer :)

Esteban

On 30 Apr 2014, at 18:04, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of Simon Sinek's core ideas is that people "buy" your product because
> they believe what you believe, and that the why needs to come first to suck
> them in.
>
> Until we decide on the perfect wording, I would at least:
> - change the heading from "The live programming environment" to "The
> immersive programming experience"
> - combine the top section and the why section into:
> "Pharo gives you immediate and total control over your programming
> experience. Focused on simplicity, cleanness, and immediate feedback, it is
> a pure object-oriented programming language <italics>and</italics> a clean,
> beautiful, innovative environment (think IDE and OS rolled into one). It is
> open source and available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
> because:
> - it puts the why first
> - someone on reddit specifically said that "environment" doesn't really
> clear anything up for them; thus "(think IDE and OS rolled into one)"
> - moves the most nitty gritty implementation details to the rear (e.g.
> platform support)
>
> But I would seriously consider my other suggestion (the one starting with
> "Do you want total, immediate control..."). It may sound a bit cheesy with
> our engineer hats on, but I've had a lot of marketing/branding training, and
> bold, emotionally appealing stuff like this is pure gold.
>
> And for the release snippet, I would change from: "Pharo, the programming
> language, live IDE and core library has a new release!" to maybe "Pharo -
> the programming language and core library immersed in a live IDE (all
> written in itself!) - has a new release!" to highlight the key points
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: New Website online

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
On Apr 30, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of Simon Sinek's core ideas is that people "buy" your product because
they believe what you believe, and that the why needs to come first to suck
them in.

Well said Sean.

For the record, you can quote me on this all you want:

I came to Pharo because I believe in Smalltalk.

Specifically in its designs’ principles.

The rest is BS to me

Re: [Pharo-users] New Website online

kilon.alios
Hmm I see no such reply in my comment at Reddit.  Actually from what I see none replied to my comment.

Trimmed as removed ? You mean I should remove Amber mention completely ?

For me as a coder is important that I work inside an environment that allows me to take advantage of existing technology. So amber and general access to javascript libraries is another reason why I use Pharo. I have not done anything substantial with Amber as I have done with Nativeboost but its none the less a good reason Why I use Pharo.

I dont expect my video to clear up every single confusion. Confusion is part of the process of not being familiar with something. But I think I make it clear that Amber is one of the many options out there to use javascript libraries with Pharo.

I am always considering redoing the video since it a very important question and improving the overall presentation.

thank you, your comment really matters for me :)

kilon alios wrote:
I love the new website definitely an improvement , don't like the new flatten logo , old one was a very beautiful design. R.I.P

Thanks for including my video "Why Pharo" in the website I feel honoured and thank you for your hard work.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, well done!!

Alexandre

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slick! Congrats on the site.
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The new website is online!
>>
>>      http://pharo.org
>>
>> For now, pharo-project.org still is the old website.
>> Next: pharo-project.org should forward to pharo.org,
>> it will still be available as old.pharo-project.org for some time.
>>
>> Thanks a lot to
>>      Nico http://nicolas-petton.fr,
>>      Esteban http://smallworks.eu,
>>      Damien  http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>      and Aurelia http://aurelia.saout.fr
>>

>>      Marcus
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New Website online

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent work!

Thank you: Nico, Esteban, Marcus!

Doru

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
yeah, and don’t forget Nico’s effort :)
I put him real pressure on him last 3 weeks, and he took it without complain… and he did a great work :)

Esteban

On 30 Apr 2014, at 16:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> The new website is online!
>
> Wow! Instantly obvious that Aurelia was involved because it has that "well
> designed" look instead of our usual "I'm an engineer trying my best" look,
> lol ;-P
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: New Website online

Geert Claes
Administrator
How about either adding a link to the online forums using "pharo.forum.world.st" or even embed the online forums using the Nabble embedding options in the Get Help section?

Nabble forum embedding options:
<a id="nabblelink" href="http://forum.world.st/Pharo-f1294836.html">Pharo</a>
<script src="http://forum.world.st/embed/f1294836"></script>
12