New Win32 VM (3.9.1)

Andreas.Raab
Hi Folks -

I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built with
the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let me know.

Binaries are here:
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip

Sources are here:
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip

Enjoy,
   - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.1)

Klaus D. Witzel
Hey, great! Will d/l and test it (build from source; binary) over the
weekend.

Thank you Andreas.

/Klaus

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:14:29 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
> updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
> since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
> production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
> that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
> shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built with
> the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let me know.
>
> Binaries are here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip
>
> Sources are here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip
>
> Enjoy,
>    - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.1)

Herbert König
Hello Andreas,

AR> I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
AR> updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
I tried it on the slow Machine (PIII 666MHz) I use for mail here.
I's minimally faster. The message tally shows variations below 10ms on
repeated attempts, tinyBenchmarks show the usual variations but the
new vm is always faster.

After some backups I will start sticking it under my production images
on the other machine.

Examples:
3.7VM 3.6 image '67332982 bytecodes/sec; 2024463 sends/sec'
3.9VM 3.6 image '71150639 bytecodes/sec; 2126806 sends/sec'

3.7VM 3.81 image  '67368421 bytecodes/sec; 2033638 sends/sec'
      MessageTally, application, 40% FloatArray 3464 msec
3.9VM 3.81 image  '70213933 bytecodes/sec; 2128487 sends/sec'
      MessageTally, application, 40% FloatArray 3393 msec

Thanks,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.1)

vaidasd
For me this 3.9.1 VM refuses to run squeak as windows service. 3.7.1 VM worked...

I used command to start vm:

c:\AT\squeak.exe -log: "c:\AT\ATLOG.LOG" -service: "AT TOOLS"

and I have squeak.ini with line:
ImageFile="c:\AT\Squeak3.8.1-6747.image"

3.9.1 VM just opens image for user, do not installs as service.

On 2/2/07, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Folks -

I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built with
the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let me know.

Binaries are here:
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip

Sources are here:
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip

Enjoy,
   - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.1)

Andreas.Raab
Ah, yes, service support. I decided to take that out for the time being
since it slows down the most common startup (double-clicking the VM) so
much. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that problem, in the
meantime you might want to try to use one of the
"install-an-executable-as-service" tools.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

> For me this 3.9.1 VM refuses to run squeak as windows service. 3.7.1 VM
> worked...
>
> I used command to start vm:
>
> c:\AT\squeak.exe -log: "c:\AT\ATLOG.LOG" -service: "AT TOOLS"
>
> and I have squeak.ini with line:
> ImageFile="c:\AT\Squeak3.8.1-6747.image"
>
> 3.9.1 VM just opens image for user, do not installs as service.
>

> On 2/2/07, * Andreas Raab* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks -
>
>     I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
>     updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
>     since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
>     production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
>     that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
>     shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built
>     with
>     the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let me
>     know.
>
>     Binaries are here:
>     http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip
>     <http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip>
>
>     Sources are here:
>     http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip
>
>     Enjoy,
>        - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Andreas.Raab
Hi Folks -

Turns out that the Makefile I used had a small but in some situations
significant problem (which is both, hard to explain as well as to
debug). To avoid any possible problems I've built another VM (3.9.2)
that is available here:

http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-bin.zip
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-src.zip

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
> updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
> since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
> production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
> that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
> shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built with
> the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let me know.
>
> Binaries are here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip
>
> Sources are here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip
>
> Enjoy,
>   - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Andreas,

have run the binary on all the tests in the OLPC(etoys)dev image: nothing
happened that was unexpected (haven't checked failed tests before/after).

Also, running the same tests with a locally built 3.9.2 VM (gcc version
2.95.2 19991024 (release)), nothing happened that was unexpected.

Doing this with a Squeak-dev image, all I got was an impression on how
rotten these tests are. This is nothing which can tell before/after
whether or not an updated VM is happy with the image (IMHO).

<ALL>Can someone from the Squeak image builder guild please recommend a
downloadable, recent image which does not balk (syntax errors, etc) and
does not get a very serious heart attack when performing all the in-image
tests (panes turn red with yellow cross, information about test status is
lost, etc). TIA.</ALL>

What's missing is a read.me in any of the top level directories of the
.zip files, same with license information (haven't checked any
subdirectory).

Thanks again.

/Klaus

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 04:45:27 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> Turns out that the Makefile I used had a small but in some situations
> significant problem (which is both, hard to explain as well as to
> debug). To avoid any possible problems I've built another VM (3.9.2)
> that is available here:
>
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-bin.zip
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-src.zip
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Hi Folks -
>>  I was in a VM-building mood today and took the chance to build an
>> updated Win32 VM based on the latest VMMaker. Since it has been a while
>> since the last update you might be a bit cautious about updating
>> production systems (the 3.7.x series is one of the most stable releases
>> that I've ever done) and give 3.9.1 a good workout first. There
>> shouldn't be any major differences other than that this VM is built
>> with the new build structure but if you find any problems, please let
>> me know.
>>  Binaries are here:
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-bin.zip
>>  Sources are here:
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.1-src.zip
>>  Enjoy,
>>   - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Martin Beck-3
Andreas Raab schrieb:

> Hi Folks -
>
> Turns out that the Makefile I used had a small but in some situations
> significant problem (which is both, hard to explain as well as to
> debug). To avoid any possible problems I've built another VM (3.9.2)
> that is available here:
>
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-bin.zip
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-src.zip
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in the
speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are very
slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :( Also, my
key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
order, if i type too fast. Also I can almost count the seconds till the
key press events arrive on my screen. Using the vm from squeak.org
solves this problem in the same image. However, 0 tinyBenchmarks prints
slightly better results for your version.

Regards,
Martin

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Andreas.Raab
Martin Beck wrote:
> After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in the
> speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are very
> slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :( Also, my
> key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
> order, if i type too fast. Also I can almost count the seconds till the
> key press events arrive on my screen. Using the vm from squeak.org
> solves this problem in the same image. However, 0 tinyBenchmarks prints
> slightly better results for your version.

I have couple of questions:
* What image are using?
* How long does it take until the effect is noticable?
* How fast is the machine you are running on? (only for comparison to
see what to expect on other machines)
* Are you using any "uncommon" plugins? (in particular those that might
have an effect on UI handling, say host windows, or wxSqueak)
* Does Alt-Period get rid of this problem?
* Does switching to 3.9.2 get rid of this problem?
* And finally: Anyone else seeing the same problem?

Thanks for your help,
   - Andreas

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Stéphane Rollandin
Andreas Raab wrote:
> * And finally: Anyone else seeing the same problem?

I've been using the 3.9.2 VM on Win XP extensively for a few days now
and did not notice anything wrong with it.

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Klaus D. Witzel
Same here, moved older VMs out of the way and am happily using the 3.9.2
VM without noticable performance degrade (the known complaints about lame
GUI in 3.9 images notwithstanding).

/Klaus

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:15:04 +0100, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> * And finally: Anyone else seeing the same problem?
>
> I've been using the 3.9.2 VM on Win XP extensively for a few days now
> and did not notice anything wrong with it.
>
> Stef

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Michael van der Gulik-2

On 2/9/07, Martin Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andreas Raab schrieb:

> Hi Folks -
>
> Turns out that the Makefile I used had a small but in some situations
> significant problem (which is both, hard to explain as well as to
> debug). To avoid any possible problems I've built another VM ( 3.9.2)
> that is available here:
>
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-bin.zip
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.9.2-src.zip
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in the
speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are very
slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :( Also, my

I've noticed something vaguely similar. If I interupt or terminate a process that is in the middle of drag+drop then mouse clicks only half work. On my system this is almost certainly due to something at the end of the drag+drop methods which cleans up something somewhere and makes the system behave normal again. For me, this is image based rather than VM based.

Does making and entering a new project help?

key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
order, if i type too fast.

I've noticed this using shout; I suspect it's a process synchronisation bug.

Try using an image that doesn't have shout installed.

Also I can almost count the seconds till the
key press events arrive on my screen.

Do you have any other processes running in your image?

Michael.

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Stéphane Rollandin
Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive in the right
>> order, if i type too fast.
>

> I've noticed this using shout; I suspect it's a process synchronisation
> bug.

yes, I have this too at times. quite annoying indeed, and definitely
shout-related (well that's the only bug in this wonderful package).

Shout problem was: Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Andrew Tween
Hi,

Re: Shout problem was: Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Stéphane Rollandin
Andrew Tween wrote:
> Could you confirm if this only with the new Win32 VM, or also with the old VM?

both

> Could you also say which version of Shout you are using (a Monticello browser
> will display this).
> You might try loading the latest Shout from SqueakMap (Shout.3.15-tween.66), and
> see if you still have the problem.

Shout.3.15-tween.46

> And which base image are you using - i.e. 3.8, 3.9, Squeak-dev-72, etc.

that's a 3.8; I do not spend enough time on 3.9 yet to have noticed if
it also happens there. overall it does not happen often enough to be an
actual problem, which is why I never reported it.

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Martin Beck-3
Andreas Raab schrieb:

> Martin Beck wrote:
>> After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in
>> the speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are
>> very slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :(
>> Also, my key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive
>> in the right order, if i type too fast. Also I can almost count the
>> seconds till the key press events arrive on my screen. Using the vm
>> from squeak.org solves this problem in the same image. However, 0
>> tinyBenchmarks prints slightly better results for your version.
>
> I have couple of questions:
> * What image are using?
> * How long does it take until the effect is noticable?
> * How fast is the machine you are running on? (only for comparison to
> see what to expect on other machines)
> * Are you using any "uncommon" plugins? (in particular those that might
> have an effect on UI handling, say host windows, or wxSqueak)
> * Does Alt-Period get rid of this problem?
> * Does switching to 3.9.2 get rid of this problem?
> * And finally: Anyone else seeing the same problem?
Sorry for the long answer time, but its hard to get the time to test the
image. My test image is 3.9final. I now just installed Shout, changed to
demo font mode, typed in a new class with one simple method and forked
this method in a new process. However, the method writes something on
transcript and returns. After that I get the slow down for text
typing... That took me 5 minutes without any special plugins with 3.9.2
vm... Alt-period does nothing but intercept the ui process, so its no
help either.

However, in a fully clean image it doesn't occur....

Greets, Martin

Re: New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Andrew Tween
When using Shout with TTF fonts, things can get slow.
Try installing the patch described here...
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-November/111338.html
..which really speeds things up.
Cheers,
Andy