New booklets organisation and new booklet

New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.

In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
Stack Management.

     http://books.pharo.org

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

EstebanLM
+1

> On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>
> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
> Stack Management.
>
>     http://books.pharo.org
>
> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

philippeback
Looks nice.

We should also put the books of Dr Geo in there but maybe they are GPL.

But at least a link to http://www.drgeo.eu/help would be nice.

Phil

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

> On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>
> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
> Stack Management.
>
>     http://books.pharo.org
>
> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3
If hilaire send me a pdf I will add them. I did not about them.

Stef

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:55 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks nice.
>
> We should also put the books of Dr Geo in there but maybe they are GPL.
>
> But at least a link to http://www.drgeo.eu/help would be nice.
>
> Phil
>
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> > On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
>> > between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
>> > We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>> >
>> > In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
>> > Stack Management.
>> >
>> >     http://books.pharo.org
>> >
>> > Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi,

Nice to see this collection organized in this way with more targeted reading audiences.

The DrGeo PDFs are linked in the page  Phil pointed to:

You could add several books which are made with Grafoscopio:

We are just starting, but I think that the local community will be producing a good collection of digital publications, mainly books and booklets, powered by Grafoscopio, and done easily in a multiplatform and portable setup (Windows, Linux, Mac). We plan to follow a similar approach to GitBook [1] and LeanPub [2], and we have made some contacts with some publishers, authors and translators who would like to have a Open Reproducible Publishing Light Environment. Once we have more work done we will build our own books and booklets collection, so, may be we can showcase this work in some "powered by Pharo" publishing examples.

[1] https://www.gitbook.com/
[2] https://leanpub.com/

I know there is a very vocal opposition in this community about using anything but Pillar for documentation, but I think that showing that there is a strong support for writing complex documents, using Pharo powered tools and playing well with others, can be a strong point of advocacy about what is possible within this ecosystem, tech and community for a wider audience beyond programmers, like kids, school teachers, journalist, hacktivist, librarians, and so on.

Cheers,

Offray

wrote:

Hi

We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.

In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
Stack Management.

    http://books.pharo.org

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3
Now I wonder if it makes sense to have all the docs of drGeo here. I
can do it but I'm thinking about it.
May be I could create another category. I "read" your handbook and I
do not think that it should be listed among the pharo books.
Now what I would love to have is a handbook: Pharo for the Data
Journalist. Do you have something like that?

Stef

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 1:35 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> We should also put the books of Dr Geo in there but maybe they are GPL.
>
> But at least a link to http://www.drgeo.eu/help would be nice.
>
> Phil
>
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>
> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
> Stack Management.
>
>     http://books.pharo.org
>
> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

We have numerical methods.

Why is DrGeo not making sense?

Phil

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> We should also put the books of Dr Geo in there but maybe they are GPL.
>
> But at least a link to http://www.drgeo.eu/help would be nice.
>
> Phil
>
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>
> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
> Stack Management.
>
>     http://books.pharo.org
>
> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Ben Coman
On 30 January 2018 at 15:54, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I wonder if it makes sense to have all the docs of drGeo here. I
> can do it but I'm thinking about it.
> May be I could create another category.

Perhaps a category named "Applications" or "Libraries"

cheers -ben

> [...]
>>
>> We should also put the books of Dr Geo in there but maybe they are GPL.
>>
>> But at least a link to http://www.drgeo.eu/help would be nice.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On 27 Jan 2018, at 20:55, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
>> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
>> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>>
>> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
>> Stack Management.
>>
>>     http://books.pharo.org
>>
>> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

HilaireFernandes
Hi Phil,

I don't think it makes much sense. books.pharo.org is a resource page
about programming with Pharo, not Dr.Geo.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

On 30/01/18 11:36, Ben Coman wrote:
> On 30 January 2018 at 15:54, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now I wonder if it makes sense to have all the docs of drGeo here. I
>> can do it but I'm thinking about it.
>> May be I could create another category.
> Perhaps a category named "Applications" or "Libraries"

I agree with Ben. On the "Applications" front, showing a healthy
ecosystem with proper documentation could be useful. Pharo seems too
oriented towards programmers and can provide a lot to people outside
this particular field.

>> I "read" your handbook and I
>> do not think that it should be listed among the pharo books.
>> Now what I would love to have is a handbook: Pharo for the Data
>> Journalist. Do you have something like that?

We have Grafoscopio interactive notebooks used for our Data Week, on
topics like data activism and digital citizenship, but they are
complementary material to a intense hackathon alike face to face
meeting, so they're not ready as stand alone material. But we will be
doing other publications talking about "technologies for autonomy",
including Indie Web and Pocket Infrastructures. Grafoscopio and Pharo
will be enablers of such publications and technologies, but we want to
use a diverse ecosystem of tools beyond Pharo. Once I have such
prototypes and books/booklets, I will share them back with this community.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3
We will have a journalist visiting us and I would like to show her
roassal and show her your work :)

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:54 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 30/01/18 11:36, Ben Coman wrote:
>> On 30 January 2018 at 15:54, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Now I wonder if it makes sense to have all the docs of drGeo here. I
>>> can do it but I'm thinking about it.
>>> May be I could create another category.
>> Perhaps a category named "Applications" or "Libraries"
>
> I agree with Ben. On the "Applications" front, showing a healthy
> ecosystem with proper documentation could be useful. Pharo seems too
> oriented towards programmers and can provide a lot to people outside
> this particular field.
>

>>> I "read" your handbook and I
>>> do not think that it should be listed among the pharo books.
>>> Now what I would love to have is a handbook: Pharo for the Data
>>> Journalist. Do you have something like that?
>
> We have Grafoscopio interactive notebooks used for our Data Week, on
> topics like data activism and digital citizenship, but they are
> complementary material to a intense hackathon alike face to face
> meeting, so they're not ready as stand alone material. But we will be
> doing other publications talking about "technologies for autonomy",
> including Indie Web and Pocket Infrastructures. Grafoscopio and Pharo
> will be enablers of such publications and technologies, but we want to
> use a diverse ecosystem of tools beyond Pharo. Once I have such
> prototypes and books/booklets, I will share them back with this community.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

hernanmd

One can make money by writing a Pharo-related book?
It takes a significant amount of effort to write a book, you know
better of course.

Is there a plan for monetization so people maybe gets more motivated
to write Pharo material?

Cheers,

Hernán

> Hi
>
> We reorganised the books.pharo.org web site to make the distinction
> between technology and teaching oriented booklet.
> We will have specific covers soon and print available on lulu.
>
> In addition we got the new booklet from C. Bera that explains Call
> Stack Management.
>
>      http://books.pharo.org
>
> Stef

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3
On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One can make money by writing a Pharo-related book?

Since most of the books I wrote are free I did not earn much.
Most of the time if ESUG would not sponsor I would earn 200 Euros max.

Now the association could sponsor book too.
We could also create a bounty for booklets.
I would love to read books or booklets written by others and I'm ready
to pay for it.
I would like to read a book on IA, Bloc, And many topics in fact.

> It takes a significant amount of effort to write a book, you know
> better of course.
>
> Is there a plan for monetization so people maybe gets more motivated
> to write Pharo material?

I'm planning to make my last book on lulu (it is there but I'm waiting
for the first printout)
and to offer a good reduction to the association members.

> Hernán

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

hernanmd
Hi Stef,

> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One can make money by writing a Pharo-related book?
>
> Since most of the books I wrote are free I did not earn much.
> Most of the time if ESUG would not sponsor I would earn 200 Euros max.

Ok, please note that 200 euros is about half of the minimum salary at
least here:

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=200&From=EUR&To=ARS
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Salario_m%C3%ADnimo_en_Argentina

And the min salary is an absolute crap.
Yes, that's how bad it is.

> Now the association could sponsor book too.
> We could also create a bounty for booklets.
> I would love to read books or booklets written by others and I'm ready
> to pay for it.
> I would like to read a book on IA, Bloc, And many topics in fact.
>
>> It takes a significant amount of effort to write a book, you know
>> better of course.
>>
>> Is there a plan for monetization so people maybe gets more motivated
>> to write Pharo material?
>
> I'm planning to make my last book on lulu (it is there but I'm waiting
> for the first printout)
> and to offer a good reduction to the association members.
>
> Stef

Thank you for the reply.

Let me know if you'd like to add a bioinformatics or geographic
information retrieval chapter. I wrote the chapters in Markdown for
pandoc but I can convert them to Pillar once it's ready for Windows.

Cheers,

Hernán

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Stephane Ducasse-3

> Let me know if you'd like to add a bioinformatics or geographic
> information retrieval chapter. I wrote the chapters in Markdown for
> pandoc but I can convert them to Pillar once it's ready for Windows.

Sure I will set up a booklet-folder and make sure that it compiles on travis
so that you can also check before we fix the windows.
Guille (and me) worked on the AppVeyor integration but I do not
remember where we stopped.

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks Steph,

I think that a good starting point will be the Panama Papers essay[1]
and also installing Grafoscopio and showing her other interactive
notebooks available in the "Help" menu (more to come soon).

[1] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1

Cheers,

Offray

On 02/02/18 06:53, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> We will have a journalist visiting us and I would like to show her
> roassal and show her your work :)
>

> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:54 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Perhaps a category named "Applications" or "Libraries"
>> I agree with Ben. On the "Applications" front, showing a healthy
>> ecosystem with proper documentation could be useful. Pharo seems too
>> oriented towards programmers and can provide a lot to people outside
>> this particular field.

>> We have Grafoscopio interactive notebooks used for our Data Week, on
>> topics like data activism and digital citizenship, but they are
>> complementary material to a intense hackathon alike face to face
>> meeting, so they're not ready as stand alone material. But we will be
>> doing other publications talking about "technologies for autonomy",
>> including Indie Web and Pocket Infrastructures. Grafoscopio and Pharo
>> will be enablers of such publications and technologies, but we want to
>> use a diverse ecosystem of tools beyond Pharo. Once I have such
>> prototypes and books/booklets, I will share them back with this community.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray

Re: New booklets organisation and new booklet

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Hernán,

I think that LeanPub model[1] has a lot of sense for open source tech
and its publications. As they say in their introductory videos in the
home page[2][3], it will allow the author to improve the fitness between
book as a product and audience as a market and there is a long history
from "serial fiction". I certainly would like to test some of such ideas
in the case of Grafoscopio powered publications, like the Data Driven
Journalist Handbook[4] and some other booklets, for the next semester.

[1] https://leanpub.com/
[2] https://youtu.be/ozO0kOnqmyA
[3] https://youtu.be/ozO0kOnqmyA?t=831
[4] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/