New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tobias, I made new Community-Supported catalog entries for:

  DynamicBindings ("4.4" and "head")
  KomHttpServer ("4.4")
  Grease ("1.1.0" and "head")
  Sport (already up-to-date, no action taken)
  Seaside ("3.0.3")

These each consume with single-click (necessary pre-reqs are loaded
automatically for each package).  Installing the head versions always
perform a merge, similar to updating trunk packages.

I didn't know what version to make for DynamicBindings and
KomHttpServer so I just made them the same as the Squeak version
they're for.

I didn't make head versions of KomHttpServer or Seaside because I
wanted to ask your (and others') opinions about it.  If Seaside
Development Team is still putting out Squeak versions and using
Metacello to keep that managed, our catalog entries should definitely
reflect that.  Otherwise, it's worth asking, what is the best way for
us as a community to keep up a dependably working version of Seaside
for Squeak?

Do you know why the Metacello scripts keep failing for stuff that was
once working?

Best,
  Chris

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Seasiders
>

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:
>
>> Von: Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: [Seaside] Making seaside load in Squeak again.
>> Datum: 26. Februar 2013 09:42:56 MEZ
>> An: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
>> Kopie: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
>> Antwort an: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hey Seasiders
>>
>> I am trying to prepare a stable Seaside Image for Squeak 4.4
>> and just tried loading via the Metacello configuration
>> (Like this:
>>
>> Installer ss
>>       project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>       install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project) version: #stable) load
>>
>> )
>>
>> This fails, as there is a dependency on Zinc #stable in
>> #squeakCommon. Also, I think it is worthwhile to add WebCilent
>> to the Adaptors for, at least, Squeak, if not Pharo, too.
>>
>> I have seen that there is progress for that in the Seaside31 repository,
>> especially for the 3.1 version of Seaside.
>
> In my effort to see what I can do I succeeded in
> Running Seaside 3.1 atop Squeak 4.4 (I needed to bring an interim Grease 1.1.1 version for that)
>
> You load  [1]
>         http://netshed.de/seaside/ConfigurationOfGrease-topa.191.mcz
>         http://netshed.de/seaside/ConfigurationOfSeaside30-topa.415.mcz
> and then you can DoIt
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project version: '3.1.0') load: #(Development OmniBrowser Swazoo WebClient Welcome).
> (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptorBrowser) open
>
> in a fresh Squeak4.4-12327.
> (Then rightclick in the Seaside Control Panel and 'Add adaptor', a WebServer Adaptor,
> which uses WebClient. Then go to localhost:8080 and be happy.)
>
> Now I will try to work on Seaside 3.0.
>

> To any Seaside dev, please consider merging my versions :)
> <<
>
> Best
>         -Tobias
>
> [1] this is no MC repo, I just don't have access to the Seaside Repos and didn't want to pollute
>     any MetacelloRepository.

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

If I'm not mistaken the "Metacello failures" are due to the fact that new configurations created for Seaside but are not actually tested against Squeak until someone (like Tobias) comes along and gives them a try ... there hasn't been an official squeak maintainer for Seaside for several years now...

Your best bet is to add a Seaside build (using the Seaside configuration) to your CI server...then if you get failures, you can report the issues to the seaside maintainers and get quick resolution.

There used to be regular builds on the Pharo CI server for Seaside, but the old links are no longer valid and I couldn't find any reference to Seaside on the new CI pages ...

Dale

> [...]
| > and then you can DoIt
| >
| > ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project version: '3.1.0') load:
| > #(Development OmniBrowser Swazoo WebClient Welcome).
| > (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptorBrowser) open
| >
| > in a fresh Squeak4.4-12327.
| > (Then rightclick in the Seaside Control Panel and 'Add adaptor', a
| > WebServer Adaptor,
| > which uses WebClient. Then go to localhost:8080 and be happy.)
| >
| > Now I will try to work on Seaside 3.0.
| >

| > To any Seaside dev, please consider merging my versions :)
| > <<
| >
| > Best
| >         -Tobias
| >
| > [1] this is no MC repo, I just don't have access to the Seaside Repos and
| > didn't want to pollute
| >     any MetacelloRepository.

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Metacello configurations should not require manual intervention, so I'm curious which two mcz files have to be manually loaded.

Dale

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Hannes Hirzel
Hello
On 3/1/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If a kind soul can get one working, I'll make sure it stays working
>> with the magic of CI on build.squeak.org. Er, that means that I'm not
>> sure whether Chris reported _working_ configurations.
>
> Hi, that Seaside configuration should "work".  I did not run the tests
> (don't know how) but I was able to start a server and  build a
> rudimentary page using one of the ajax frameworks that rendered and
> accepted input..

Thank you Tobias for coming up with a Seaside configuration which
loads fine and Chris for the SqueakMap entry.

I loaded Seaside from SqueakMap into a pristing Squeak4.4 image. One
click on the Seaside entry. I did not load any prerequisites.

Now my question: How do I start it?

It used to be something of the following

(Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
(Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
(Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptor) open.

However none works. A note in the SqueakMap entry would be appreciated.

The note says: 'Seaside requires a web server; the most commonly used
is KomHttpServer'.

But there is no SqueakMap entry for that.

Then later let's move on to a SqueakCI job for this.

Regards
Hannes

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Chris Muller-3
> (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
> (Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
> (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptor) open.

It may be you can't use that browser without OB which requires
OCompletion.  For a web-framework to require a fat-client UI framework
seems nutty to me.   :)

But did you try working with Seaside itself, starting a server and
opening a browser on it?

> However none works. A note in the SqueakMap entry would be appreciated.
>
> The note says: 'Seaside requires a web server; the most commonly used
> is KomHttpServer'.
>
> But there is no SqueakMap entry for that.

Hm, check again, it's there.  Maybe you need to update your SM Cache
(via the "Update" button).

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

Nutty or not, the default installation of Seaside includes a dependency upon OmniBrowser (for starting and stopping the seaside server), plus a web server (used to be Kom and recently has moved to Zinc) ... the configuration describes all of the dependencies. The default configuration load includes just about everything that a developer might need to get up and running Seaside ...

If you want to duplicate the information from the configuration in SqueakMap, then I suggest you take a look at the configuration itself....

Dale

On 3/5/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
>> (Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.
>> (Smalltalk at: #WAServerAdaptor) open.
>
> It may be you can't use that browser without OB which requires
> OCompletion.  For a web-framework to require a fat-client UI framework
> seems nutty to me.   :)

Yes, we had discussed that a few years ago. Just loading OB to have a
very small panel app is a bit too much.

> But did you try working with Seaside itself, starting a server and
> opening a browser on it?

Thank you for the reminder.

I could now load KomHttpServer through SqueakMap (see separate thread)
and then start and stop Seaside with

        WAComancheAdaptor startOn: 8080.

        WAComancheAdaptor stop.

The class comment of WAComancheAdaptor is helpful.

>> However none works. A note in the SqueakMap entry would be appreciated.
>>
>> The note says: 'Seaside requires a web server; the most commonly used
>> is KomHttpServer'.
>>
>> But there is no SqueakMap entry for that.
>
> Hm, check again, it's there.  Maybe you need to update your SM Cache
> (via the "Update" button).

I used again a pristine image and there it worked.

--Hannes

Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Tobias Pape
Hi All,

as this thread continues, and I have some cross-post replies, I reply to the initial
post here, hope you don't mind.

• For SqueakMap things goto [SQMP]
• Seaside-Developers, please read [SEAS]
• For Metacello-stuff please goto [MTCL]

Am 27.02.2013 um 03:50 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Tobias, I made new Community-Supported catalog entries for:
>
>  DynamicBindings ("4.4" and "head")
>  KomHttpServer ("4.4")
>  Grease ("1.1.0" and "head")
>  Sport (already up-to-date, no action taken)
>  Seaside ("3.0.3")
>
> These each consume with single-click (necessary pre-reqs are loaded
> automatically for each package).  Installing the head versions always
> perform a merge, similar to updating trunk packages.

[SQMP]
I have read the SqueakMap entries.

From my point of view, they pose a quite big problem.

Please consider this Scenario:

For one reason or another, I happen to have the Class `GRPlaform`
in my image but not actually Grease installed. Now suppose I
use the SqueakMap entry for Seaside. It installs but fails with
—seemingly random—errors.
  What happens here? The install _script_ for Seaside tries to
determine whether Grease is installed by checking whether the
class `GRPlatform` is in the System. Yes, this is a pathological
case but I chose it to illustrate the underlying problem:

The SqueakMap install scripts are _imperative_ load scripts.
That is one of the key points of Metacello. To quote
the web site:
        Declarative modeling. A Metacello project has named versions
consisting of lists of explicit Monticello package versions. Dependencies
are explicitly expressed in terms of named versions of required projects.
A required project is a reference to another Metacello project.

In the given case, when I install Seaside via the Metacello configuration,
the Seaside config specifies a dependency on Grease declaratively and
Metacello resolves this. In turn, Grease comes with a Metacello config
and Metacello then can determine whether Grease is already installed
via Metacello.
  In our case, it would determine that Grease is not installed and
would try to install it. _This_ certainly would fail, as our `GRPlatform`
class would conflict the one of Grease, but at least we would _know_
that this is the problem: Monticello would notify us that we are trying
to overwrite an  existing class.

What I wanted to depict is that there is a problem with the “install script”
driven approach to SqueakMap. I do not argue that SqueakMap is obsolete
nor a bad idea. I, however, want to argue that SqueakMap should embrace
Metacello.

Another point I have seen is that SqueakMap has to invest double effort
to “synchronize” versions.
  See, Metacello configurations already contain all versions available for
the given configuration.
  Moreover, using the current way of SqueakMap to install software conflicts
with the idea of optional software components. This can be seen by the
problems Hannes has with installing Seaside [1]. The SqueakMap entry
cannot disambiguate between a “Development” installation and a “Deployment”
installation; the Metacello config for Seaside already allows for this:
   When you load the 'Development' group, you get OB, Ocompletion, the
server adaptor browser, Seaside development tools, some predefined adaptors
etc. When you load the “default” group (alias for the “Base” group), you
get the bare minimum to make Seaside run, even without any adaptor, which
is intentional. You choose the “Base” group and, say, the “Comanche” group
and you get what is necessary to run. I don’t see a way to do this with
SqeuakMap currently.
  However, this workflow is crucial to me. I maintain SqueakSource3[2] which
also has optional packages. With SqueakMap, I currently cannot provide
an installation with such optional packages. Likewise with SwaLint.

> I didn't know what version to make for DynamicBindings and
> KomHttpServer so I just made them the same as the Squeak version
> they're for.

There is an ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer that could be used..

> I didn't make head versions of KomHttpServer or Seaside because I
> wanted to ask your (and others') opinions about it.  If Seaside
> Development Team is still putting out Squeak versions and using
> Metacello to keep that managed, our catalog entries should definitely
> reflect that.

Yes:) Where I could help, I would like to.

>  Otherwise, it's worth asking, what is the best way for
> us as a community to keep up a dependably working version of Seaside
> for Squeak?
>
> Do you know why the Metacello scripts keep failing for stuff that was
> once working?

[SEAS]
As dale said in [3]

        “If I'm not mistaken the "Metacello failures" are due to the fact
that new configurations created for Seaside but are not actually tested
against Squeak until someone (like Tobias) comes along and gives them a try
... there hasn't been an official squeak maintainer for Seaside for
several years now...”

I am currently looking into making Seaside loadable again by
taking care that the ConfigruationOfSeaside30 has the right
dependencies for Squeak 4.4

To repeaat myself:

===========>
>> To any Seaside dev, please consider merging my versions :)
<==========

[MTCL]
Side-Note: Metacello does not yet know of 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 (as
our current trunk) as Platform Identifiers. How shall we proceed?
Who can add these?

Sorry for this being so long, but this is rather important to me.
I am open for discussion and directions. What about an IRC chat,
eg, on freenode?

Best
        -Tobias

[1] Message-Id: <[hidden email]>
[2] PS: I tried searching the SqueakMap Catalogue for “Squeaksource”, however, nearly
    every package matched. Shouldn’t the search box only match the name and, optionally,
    the description but _not_ the installation source?
[3] Message-ID: <[hidden email]>_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: [squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Janko Mivšek
Yes, please please, start using Metacello for loading from SqueakMap
too. This way many hours will be spared to us maintainers while
preparing new releases, testing and publishing them an all those
Smalltalks...

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

I think that the officially correct script is the configuration ....

Dale

Re: [squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Dale Henrichs

| Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)
|
| [MTCL]
| Side-Note: Metacello does not yet know of 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 (as
| our current trunk) as Platform Identifiers. How shall we proceed?
| Who can add these?

Tobias,

I am in the process of adding 4.4 and 4.5 identifiers for Metacello ... the process is wrapped in a GLASS release process, but I have defined the identifiers and the release is in the pipeline ...

Dale

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Julian Fitzell-2
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/5/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It may be you can't use that browser without OB which requires
> OCompletion.  For a web-framework to require a fat-client UI framework
> seems nutty to me.   :)

Yes, we had discussed that a few years ago. Just loading OB to have a
very small panel app is a bit too much.

The metacello configuration was done by Dale based on the dependencies that the development team use to build complete development images and one-click images, all of which include the OB tools.

The OB tools—along with everything else non-essential—are purposely separated out into their own packages specifically so that they don't need to be loaded. My suggestion was always that the OB tools be loaded *if* you have Omnibrowser, but as far as I know Metacello still doesn't support that kind of rule.

There's no reason we can't ensure that Metacello makes it easy to load subsets that people want—someone just has to do it.

Julian

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3

Tobias Pape
Sorry for not replying,

I was quite busy lately, alas, not with Squeak/Seaside.

Am 07.03.2013 um 03:00 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, I completely agree.  After Tobias' configurations are committed
> to the Seaside repository we'll be able to have the official version
> in SM.

The configurations I had done concern Seaside 3.1, not 3.0.7 (iirc it
it the latest release). I would have to adapt the 3.0 Configuration of the
main repository.
  Please give me some time for that.

Best
        -Tobias

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> I think that the officially correct script is the configuration ....
>>
>> Dale

Hello Tobias,

On 3/20/13, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for not replying,
>
> I was quite busy lately, alas, not with Squeak/Seaside.

As I am concerned I do not mind at all. You worked on this 3 weeks ago
and what you are doing is very helpful for my work. As this is all
volunteer work this is not so much an issue if something is not being
worked on for three weeks. What counts is that work _is_ done and that
it is quality work.

> Am 07.03.2013 um 03:00 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Yes, I completely agree.  After Tobias' configurations are committed
>> to the Seaside repository we'll be able to have the official version
>> in SM.
>

> The configurations I had done concern Seaside 3.1,

You mean you have done an entry for Seaside 3.1 on Squeak 4.4?

--Hannes