New feature in Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello guys :)

I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov

The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)

Some explanation:
        - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
        - you can have a many as wanted
        - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
        - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
        - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
        - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
        - the corresponding button have the same help text
        - clicking on the button jump to the method

I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)

Ben

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Hernan Wilkinson-3
hey, that pretty cool! It would be great if you could press a button or something and have a diff between the methods :-)

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: [Pharo-project] New feature in Nautilus

Stuart Herring-2
Excellent!

Any chance of having a vertical split instead of horizontal though?

Regards,
Stuart

On 6 August 2012 09:48, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys :)
>
> I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov
>
> The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)
>
> Some explanation:
>         - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
>         - you can have a many as wanted
>         - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
>         - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
>         - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
>         - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
>         - the corresponding button have the same help text
>         - clicking on the button jump to the method
>
> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
>
> Ben

RE : New feature in Nautilus

Goubier Thierry
Interesting...

There is really something about being able to see both the set of methods of a class and it's superclass and the code of a method and it's superclass method at the same time.

Thierry

Ben

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Ben

this is gorgeous :)
simply gorgeous.
This opens a lot of possibilities.

> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
of course I do :)
        - I imagine that we will be able to have multiple methods not compiled so the red border/corner should be more important.
        - Now may be when a method is pinned down we should get a slight grey background.
        - right clicking on a method could open and pin automatically a method.
        - I should try it.
                one important point is to now where a free (non pinned method will show up)
        - may be we should use the coral syntax for methods
        or add decoration so that we know in which class the method belongs to
                Point>>extent:
                        [
                        ]
        because the help text is not that efficient to show the location

- may be t would be good to have a way not to open extra methods when we have already 3 or 4 but to replace a free one.

Stef

> Hello guys :)
>
> I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov
>
> The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)
>
> Some explanation:
> - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
> - you can have a many as wanted
> - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
> - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
> - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
> - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
> - the corresponding button have the same help text
> - clicking on the button jump to the method
>

> Ben

Re: New feature in Nautilus

jfabry

Looks very cool, I imagine that it can come in handy in a lot of browsing scenarios!

I have one observation: when you click on a pinned method, the top half of the browser does not update to show the class, category, method list of the selected method. Is this on purpose? I would expect that what is shown and selected in the top half is consistent with what is selected below. This is what we are used to right now...

On 05 Aug 2012, at 19:48, Benjamin wrote:

> Hello guys :)
>
> I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov
>
> The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)
>
> Some explanation:
> - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
> - you can have a many as wanted
> - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
> - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
> - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
> - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
> - the corresponding button have the same help text
> - clicking on the button jump to the method
>
> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
>
> Ben

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile